Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default The last day....

At what age will you get out at. 20, 25, 30. We all say we love the job, but for the paid guys, its all about making it to retirement. How is your dept. set up and will you get out at that time, or will you put in more years.

I will retire "When the body won't do what the mind tells it to do"

This job takes its toll on a person body and thier health......That's why paid departments have a set retirement age. They realized a long time ago that for the most part this is a young mans job and is very demanding on our bodies. We have had 18 retirements in the last couple of years...and all most all of them knew it was time to go....for thier sake and the sake of the other members left on the job.....They wanted to make sure that they didn't hurt anyone because they couldn't do it anymore.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Talking

I will leave when I'm eligible for my pension!

I can go at 25 yrs, but I'll only be 47. There is no additional % after your 25th yr, so, unless you're about to get promoted, there is no incentive to stay. I may stick around if there is a shot at BC, if there isn't some great opportunity to do something else.

The magic numbers in Massachusetts is 32 years of service at age 55 for 80% of your highest three years of earnings.

I got on "da job" at 28, so I will be 60 when I can retire at full pension.

One can retire earlier, but they lose the percentages.

Medical retirements from on the job injuries or the illnesses covered under the presumptive cancer and heart/lung law is 72% of salary tax free.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

No Pension System for us. Just a 401K that really isn't all that bad. I came onto this job in 2003 at 31 Years Old. We work for a Volunteer Fire Company so basically there is no promotion to anything with the exception of a shift supervisor which in reality has no rank or authority.

The Fire Company Board of Directors determine our yearly salary increases {usually about 4.5 to 5%} I plan to stay in until either my 20th Year which will make me 51 or my 25th which will make me 56 - All depends on the 401K and how much this body will be able take at that age.

Maybe by then we'll be enrolled into a pension system.........

Our retirement is a minimum age of 49 years old, with at least 22 years of service.
    I plan on making full use of that age, and would go sooner if they dropped the minimum age requirement. I have seen far too many guys stay for a full pension, retire, and then are dead inside of a year or two.
    The pension works off of a multiplier of 2.5%, with additional multipliers at 20 years, 25 years, and 30 years.
    We also have something called the "global settlement", which gives retirees a full year salary the day they walk off the job, in the form of a check to do with as they see fit.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I started in 82 we had 25 years/60 years old. It was half pay with no cola. It was the town hall janitor plan but it was something. A few years ago the state made the town increase to the standard public safety offering which was 25/55 no cola. The town did buy into a cola plan about six years ago so when i retire in about ten years or so (45 now), I will get a pro rated percentage of the annual cola. In the last contract we finally got 20 year, no age. Still only hlaf pay of the highest three years but hey, not bad, especially for the new guys. We are getting there. Not too many places having thier pensions actually improving.
    I thank god every day we are not stuck with a 401K. I do have a mut fund on the side and we do have SSI (whatever will be left of it)
    This is Maine
    27 years and still having a great time in the back of the truck :-)

I was late getting into the service, so I will have to work till I'm 60, hopefully off the fire line though
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

I can retire at 50% of my final year's pay at 20 years. Which in my case is 42 years old. Too young. I will probably do 30 at which I can get 75% which is maximum. IOD pension gets 66 2/3 % tax free. This is RI state pension system only. Many depts. have a private pension system which can be better or worse depending.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

At the end of this month I'll hit 25 years. Think I'll hang around 4-5 more.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    The magic numbers in Massachusetts is 32 years of service at age 55 for 80% of your highest three years of earnings.....
    GOD BLESS....Mike Mullane and Robert McCarthy and the PFFM!
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

i am pretty sure ours is 20 years on and 52 years old to max out on pension giving you 75 % of rookie base pay.but the city gives you a great deal on health insurance for 80 dollars a month .

MembersZone Subscriber

66% at 25 years, No Age. 2% per year up to a max of 76% of your best three. I'll be eligible at 51 and will have to stay for as long as I can , as we have to pay our own health insurance between retirement and 62 yoa. With the cost of insurance now, working after retirement is a guaratee!

Forum Member

My fire department (Rockford, IL) allows you to retire after 20 years and age 50. Every year after 20, you receive 2.5% up to a max of 30 years and 75%. You may retire earlier than age 50, but you do not receive your pension until you reach age 50.

My goal is to retire with 20 years at age 42. I am hoping my fire equipment business keeps growing and will provide income between the years 42-50.

The problem on our department is the rising cost of insurance. On the job, we pay $60/month, but when you retire it jumps up to between $1,000-$1,200 per month. Many guys that should have retired long ago are hanging around because they do not want to pay the high premiums.

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Forum Member

We have to have 30 years to retire. I will be 49 when I can go, but I probably will try and keep going until my body or wife won't let me. I know she has a few places she wouldn't mind moving to for retirement. But hell I have at least another 22 years to go to retire.

God Willing......32 years or 2037 I'll be 62.....then they'll have to kick me out...but I hope to go kicking and screaming.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber SFDredhat126's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rfd599
    My fire department (Rockford, IL) allows you to retire after 20 years and age 50. Every year after 20, you receive 2.5% up to a max of 30 years and 75%. You may retire earlier than age 50, but you do not receive your pension until you reach age 50.

My goal is to retire with 20 years at age 42. I am hoping my fire equipment business keeps growing and will provide income between the years 42-50.

The problem on our department is the rising cost of insurance. On the job, we pay $60/month, but when you retire it jumps up to between $1,000-$1,200 per month. Many guys that should have retired long ago are hanging around because they do not want to pay the high premiums.

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com
    This describes our setup also. I'll be 54 when I (hopefully) get to 30 years.

former FH.com member

I'm planning on doing 30 yrs and retiring at 55. That will put me at 85.5% of my top three earning yrs. God willing I live that long. After that who knows...maybe move to Miami and open a string bikini shop on the beach.

Uhmmmmm.......Rich please let me know when you do this, I would love to come and visit !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information