Forum Member

Default Volunteering question

Hi everyone, I want to ask other volunteers about this situation. I am currently new to the fire service, just got out of a cert class, applying for jobs but want to badly volunteer to get experience and training as well be able to help others. Anyway, the nearest volunteer county is 45 minutes to 1 hour away, no local volunteer stations and the thing is I do want to eventually work for this department but want to volunteer first, anyway, is it possible to volunteer for a county this distance away? They do require to attend training and business meetings to make up required 20 hours a month, and the option of serving time by staying at a firehouse. But the thing is I wouldn't be able to respond to calls in a quick manner which would defeat the purpose, but was just wondering is it possible to volunteer being 45-1 hour away? Im sure they have a residency requirement but being this the only volunteer station around the area, I do want to volunteer for this county, just not sure how to go about doing it?? Has anyone ever traveled to volunteer out of their county or city?

Forum Member

I find it extremely unlikely that it will work, unless there is some type of residency program, or you can volunteer on certain nights and stay at the Station. 45 minutes to an hour is just plain too far. :-\ Hope you can figure something out.

Forum Member

I am still a member of my volunteer company that I joined when I was 16 (where I was born & raised & dad has been a member since he was 16) and I live 60 miles away. I work about 15 miles from there. Monday nights, I go right from work to the station for drill. I log in between 530pm and 7pm as duty time. I log in drill as 2 hours of drill/training time. Then I bunk out monday night as the first out driver. That gets me another 8-10 hours of duty time. Then add in all the apparatus committee meetings and other various events I make on weekends, plus all the times I am at my parents house and make runs if one comes in. All of this adds up and still makes me one of the top 20 most active members.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    I am still a member of my volunteer company that I joined when I was 16 (where I was born & raised & dad has been a member since he was 16) and I live 60 miles away. I work about 15 miles from there. Monday nights, I go right from work to the station for drill. I log in between 530pm and 7pm as duty time. I log in drill as 2 hours of drill/training time. Then I bunk out monday night as the first out driver. That gets me another 8-10 hours of duty time. Then add in all the apparatus committee meetings and other various events I make on weekends, plus all the times I am at my parents house and make runs if one comes in. All of this adds up and still makes me one of the top 20 most active members.
    FWDbuff,

Oh ok, so it can work? I was just asking to be sure, to see if anyone else was in a situation like this. Also wanted to ask, if the department wants you to live in the city limits, how would I go about that, since I live outside the county, and can't relocate for a while? I am just wanting to volunteer there, only volunteer companies in the area anyway. They are hurting for volunteers as well, on some nights the county only has 10 paid and sometimes 1 or 2 volunteers that do time a week.
    Last edited by ACfire1; 04-22-2006 at 09:27 PM.

Forum Member

I know in our area I beleive its 15 minutes either way of the dept your in...Now in our area thats also easy because within 20 minutes 5 different depts so.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33
    I know in our area I beleive its 15 minutes either way of the dept your in...Now in our area thats also easy because within 20 minutes 5 different depts so.
    15 mins is ok, but Im just hoping I can volunteer, even though being an hour away. I think its a great dept and they hire from within usually but just asking to see how other volunteers thought about it since the nearest vollie dept is that far.

MembersZone Subscriber

At my station there is a few volunteers that live an hour or even more away. As long as you prove you want to be there and make the requirements it shouldn't be problem. I say go for it and apply.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ACfire1
    15 mins is ok, but Im just hoping I can volunteer, even though being an hour away. I think its a great dept and they hire from within usually but just asking to see how other volunteers thought about it since the nearest vollie dept is that far.

It is ok..But like I said 15 minutes your into another dept anyways..lol...So..Your set no matter how yah look at it....

You say they have some sort of a live in program kinda deal correct?...Id look into that if you can....Keep pushin to see if you can still volunteer...Id personally say the odds are pretty grim..But who knows....Best of luck
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a volunteer that lives 1-2 hours away, depending on traffic. He is also a reserve police officer in our town. He shows for training every week and responds to calls when he's on duty. I'd check with the department and see if they'd take you on for training and set up with you a time when you'll be in their area to respond to calls. I've found that some departments will work with you and some won't, so it's a 50/50 chance for you. Also, not all VFDs have sleeping quarters so that's another consideration. I hope all this works out for you.

Thread Information