Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good Dispatcher Story for a Change

Fire dispatcher finds persistence pays off
    BOSTON, April 22 (UPI) -- A Boston fire dispatcher who persisted in tracking an emergency call about carbon monoxide poisoning, is credited with helping save the lives of five people.

The person who made the emergency call from a cell phone Thursday hung up without leaving an address, the Boston Globe reported. Jack McKenna Jr. called back and was told that the emergency was over.

McKenna was unable to trace the location because the calls were made on a cell phone. But he called back again and got a message that included the name of the company and then got the address from directory assistance.

When firefighters arrived at Whitney Building Products, they found more people had been overcome by fumes from a forklift than the person who made the emergency call had realized.

The victims were treated at Massachusetts General Hospital and released Thursday night.

McKenna said he only did what fire dispatchers are trained to do.

"You don't know if it is an emergency issue or an accident, so you always want to follow up on it," he said.

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Thumbs up

Good story George. For every screw up in the news, there are thousands of these examples of quick thinking each day on the behalf of dispatchers and call takers.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

I'm sure there are many more of these stories, but the news doesn't write up on them because they would rather report the "bad" rather than the "good"

Now how do you expect to get a purple hydrant with such heart warming posts as this George?
    As said before there are thousands of incidents of dispatchers being over-cautious and it paying off...but that doesnt sell papers.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyV
    As said before there are thousands of incidents of dispatchers being over-cautious and it paying off...but that doesnt sell papers.

EXACTLY!!! I see it almost every day at work.

Thanks for the post George. You might even have a soft chewy center in you someplace......but don't worry, I won't spread that around.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Good post, we all rember the time that we have a "confusing dispatch" but tend to forget all the good ones.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Exclamation You wouldn't let a journalist tell you how to do your job...

Quote Originally Posted by shvfr4
    I'm sure there are many more of these stories, but the news doesn't write up on them because they would rather report the "bad" rather than the "good"
    News is supposed to be the extraordinary events of life -- things that are beyond the scope of normal. For that reason, most news is "bad" news. If newspapers and television channels only reported "good" stories, it would mean that the bad of the world had become ordinary and expected.

Also, the only stories that "sell papers" are almost always the ones that appear above the fold on page one. This represents a minute percentage of stories that appear in a single paper. The bulk of stories -- good or bad -- are written and published because it is believed they are of interest to the readers.

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis
    News is supposed to be the extraordinary events of life -- things that are beyond the scope of normal. For that reason, most news is "bad" news. If newspapers and television channels only reported "good" stories, it would mean that the bad of the world had become ordinary and expected.

Also, the only stories that "sell papers" are almost always the ones that appear above the fold on page one. This represents a minute percentage of stories that appear in a single paper. The bulk of stories -- good or bad -- are written and published because it is believed they are of interest to the readers.
    Are you saying that we are a society that only wants to hear bad news? Well....maybe your right, but that doesn't mean that reporters can't print articles about nice things from time to time. I believe that some reporters go above and beyond when looking for stories to sell. But I guess they need a paycheck too. Now I forgot what I was trying to say............Have a good day!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Well, I for one am glad to read a positive news story about a dispatcher who wasn't afraid to dispatch.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis

I think it's more along the lines of saying someone did a good job. But each is to their own. I guess I get my lesson in journalism today.

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT
    Are you saying that we are a society that only wants to hear bad news?
    Sort of. I'm saying that the bad is what's uncommon... it's what is out of the ordinary. Take murders, for instance. Even though we're killing people at a record pace here in Little Rock, each new one becomes the top story when it happens. Why? Because even with a record number of homicides, it's not a normal event. People know what's normal. They want to hear about what's not.

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT
    Well....maybe your right, but that doesn't mean that reporters can't print articles about nice things from time to time.
    Take an in-depth look at an average newspaper sometime. When you're looking for them, there are actually many more positive stories that you'd think.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Kudos to the dispatcher for doing an outstanding job. There are many in the profession that might have stopped short. He didn't. (Of course, that's what makes this story news. )

Thread Information