makes good girls go bad

Default Car fire troubles....

OK, I TRIED the search, but I am not good at it, so;

We just had a car fire, at I tried to get the hood open, and it just wouldnt open.
    Fire was in the engine compartment, and extended into the passenger compartment by the time we were on scene. The hood was burned and the hood release was gone in the passenger compartment.

Tips/Tricks guys?
    PLEASE!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy
    OK, I TRIED the search, but I am not good at it, so;

We just had a car fire, at I tried to get the hood open, and it just wouldnt open.
    Fire was in the engine compartment, and extended into the passenger compartment by the time we were on scene. The hood was burned and the hood release was gone in the passenger compartment.

Tips/Tricks guys?
    PLEASE!
    Drive the point of the Halligan into the front corner of the hood and pry toward the opposite corner. This will give you a decent opening to get a stream into to knock down the fire.
    I've done this numerous times and it works great.

Also, using the fork of the Halligan to engage the latch cable through the grill and twisting it will sometimes get the latch to release, but this has been hit or miss for me when I've tried it.

Kevin
    Last edited by fireman4949; 04-22-2006 at 08:58 PM.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

K-50 Circular Saw-V-cut over the locking mechanism and open it up.

Forum Member

Like Kevin said, driving the haligan into the hood works great. That is what I do if we are having trouble with the hood. There have been a few other threads like this on here before and some of the guys recommended everything from using the haligan to getting a K12 out and cutting the hood.

Forum Member

Rabbit tool works great, use your halligan to open up for a purchase point....Use the Rabbit Tool to lift the hood and clear the latch. On some older model cars, the Rabbit Tool will not give enough height to pop clear of the latch....Just use a piece of 1x cribbing under the base of the Rabbit Tool to gain more operating ability. And if all else fails, (and you have one) use the preconnected hydraulic spreader.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

i have had success going through the wheel wells as well as bouncing the stream off the ground under the car.
    I usually just use a haligan to force the hood. I have also heard of companies using a spreader to force the hood. If that works for them, so be it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554
    Bongo, this is the only way. I've seen many great firefighters kock down car fire with ease but then spend 15-20 minutes looking like a Monkey F***ing a Football trying to get into the hood!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM
    I've seen many great firefighters kock down car fire with ease but then spend 15-20 minutes looking like a Monkey F***ing a Football trying to get into the hood!
    Been there, done that with one exception: the monkey probably at least looked like he knew what he was trying to do..

Everyone here has hit most of the good tips. If you've got a little gap in the latch area and you've got a really good set of bolt cutters, you can sometimes cut through the latch. We've had some success doing this with older cars.

Forum Member

We use the powerhawk rescue tool. First pinch the fender, then spread the hood and the hood is opened to blast way. Before we had the powerhawk bounce the water or put a hole in the ood with axe or halligan.I personally can like the powerhawk.
    Stay Safe and live long

Forum Member

You could always try driving a piercing nozzle straight down through the hood.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

I find it rather easy to use the haligan and pry up at the hinged end of the hood, and as soon as the hinges are exposed, snip them with the bolt cutters then flap the hood foward. This usually breaks the latch and frees up the hood all together.
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

The latch cable usually runs behind the driver head light.. Plus the plastic is pretty easy to get through..

Forum Member

If the vehicle is a Ford F-series pickup. the hoods are made of aluminum (aluminium for our UK friends ) and will probably be melted by the time you arrive...makes it easy to put out an engine compartment fire!

Remember this, though... most engine compartment fires will cause the vehicle to be a total loss.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Dont stand in front of the bumper while the engine is on fire.

Forum Member

You could always try driving a piercing nozzle straight down through the hood.

Dont stand in front of the bumper while the engine is on fire.

Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.

I'm a big fan of piercing applicators to knock down an engine compartment fire.

BUT...it still needs to be opened up to assure extinguishment / overhaul IMHO (yes, I know there shouldn't be much...but better to look then assume).

Knock down the passenger compartment, tires, cool the bumpers, etc. Usually can get a shot into the engine by bouncing around the wheel well. Pop on the piercing nozzle (bayonets and Rockwood nozzles make this easy ) to knock down fire remaining in the engine compartment going through the hood/headlight with the bayonet.

If you can't use the latch and/or the halligan trick to twist the cable to release the safety...V-cut around the latch and lift the hood to finish the job.

==========
    I would think a Sawzall could do the job, too if you don't have a K-12 circular saw with a metal blade handy??? Pop a hole with a halligan at the "top" of the inverted V you're going to cut, then use the Sawzall...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM
    Bongo, this is the only way. I've seen many great firefighters kock down car fire with ease but then spend 15-20 minutes looking like a Monkey F***ing a Football trying to get into the hood!
    I like a good zoological football game as well as the next guy but, can somebody to tell me why the auto manufactures are not required to use heavier cables that won’t burn through quite as quickly. Even on small fires in engine compartments we do more damage opening the hood then the fire every does. How many times have you stood in the street with a dozen onlookers while we struggle to get it open (see monkey & football above).
    Halligans, saws, spreaders, bolt cutters are great but 8 foot of a more heat resistant cable all the tools could stay on the truck.
    Yea I know $$$$

makes good girls go bad

Whats the point really? Most car fires end up totalling to car, so why bother? Thats at least what they are thinking
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

If the fire gets to the point of destroying the latch cable, the car is going to be a loss.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Talking Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    If the vehicle is a Ford F-series pickup. the hoods are made of aluminum (aluminium for our UK friends ) and will probably be melted by the time you arrive...makes it easy to put out an engine compartment fire!

Remember this, though... most engine compartment fires will cause the vehicle to be a total loss.
    Cap'n Gonzo--thank you for your sensitivity-I am London born and bred and really appreciate your "PCnish" (have I invented a new word?).

Now on the subject of "Humour" and "Colour" can we do a deal?

Now back to the problem of fire under the vehicle bonnet or boot if it is at the other end!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Not Here............

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom
    Now on the subject of "Humour" and "Colour" can we do a deal? Now back to the problem of fire under the vehicle bonnet or boot if it is at the other end!
    OK, Y'all, looky here. This be America, and we be got rules. THERE IS NEVER A "U" BETWEEN THE "O" AND THE "R" except in Dour, Hour, Pour, Sour, and Your. A Spanner is a Wrench made very specifically for joining/freeing hose couplings. All other Wrenches are just that, Wrenches. Even the Metric Adjustable Wrenches. (Metric Crescent Wrench). As to the Bonnet, Yes, my grandmother had a couple that she wore in warm weather, most were called Sun Bonnets. And, last, Boots. Yes I have, and wear, Boots. In fact I have about 8 pairs of boots.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

makes good girls go bad

Ahem, uh, Mister Chief Woods, Sir?

i work for Indian HarboUr Beach Fire Dept
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Somethin' else..........

All of the above tips are great....... goin' through the headlights is also an option. Just use a strikin' tool and the space made is available to be used to get water into the engine compartment........
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Im not saying this is the best way but if you can get the round end of a pry bar into the loop in the latch and give it a good twist to the side alot of times it will twist the loop and free the hatch ( keep in mind all hoods are not like this) i know it works on trunks well its just getting to that loop that may give a little trouble

but thats only after knocking down the fire first with the methods said by the other posters

Iv found that forcing a hinge or latch to move in a way it wasn't designed to move will most of the time release it or break it.
    Our Family Protecting Yours

Forum Member

We've used a combi tool to pry up the hood up at the hinge end. Once the hood pops off the hinges, it can be moved where you need.

Watched a guy with the K saw cut down too deep into the top of the radiator. Got him a good covering of hot radiator coolant.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

An addendum to opening hoods....

You have to know which way they open!

Corvettes and Saabs are hinged at the front and open forwards. Some cars, such as Ferraris, Lamborghinis, the Saleen S7, Porsches and other exotic cars that those of us on a firefighters salary cannot afford have mid and rear mounted engines.

I once passed a car fire on the highway where the firefighters (a small town's paid on call FD) were wailing the crap out the front end of a Saab with a set of irons to get to the engine compartment...

I did do the right thing though.. I called 911 on the cell (State P{olice answer cell phone 911's) to have me connected to the town's dispatch to let them know to try the "other end of the hood"!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information