Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default New SAFER notifications going out (I think)

You all may want to go check your apps/1199 to see if anything has changed even if previously denied for SAFER.

Here is our situation...we received an 1199 confirmation note today for SAFER. In December we had received the standard form letter with the following clause:

"Regrettably, after awarding departments with scores higher than the scores assigned to your department's application, we do not have enough funding to offer you an award at this time. However, your application scored well enough that if we identify any excess funding from unused administrative funds or if some of the applicants that have been offered a grant decline the offer, we may be able to fund your request. Be advised that if any excess FY 2005 funding does become available, it may not be identified until late in the Federal fiscal year."

We now have an award number on our 1199 for SAFER so things are looking pretty good.

BTW- We're all volunteer, went for recruiting and retention with funding requested for:

Baseline physicals
    Incentive program (based on calls/training attendend and level of certification)
    Commercial Drivers license training/certification
    PR materials including letters and refrigerator magnets with contact #s

Woohoo if true!

Kurt- you may not have directly helped with this one but I think I am owing you a case of Yuengling. It's been a good year.

Stacey
    MVFD

Stacey,

Great news. What type of stuff did you apply for under "incentives?"

Forum Member

Sly-

We went for a tiered stipend approach and are trying to encourage not only responses (like the 2 am automatic alarms) but also nationally certified training/certifications. Different levels allow for different incentives.

note - a point is a call or hour of official fire school class

$1 per point for Probationary, Juniors, and firefighters with only Essentials
    <jump here to really add incentive to get at least FFI- it also helps with our state grant application to have more certified at this level or above>
    $3 per point for FFI-FFII
    $4 per point for Officers/certified higher than FFII

Most likely we will ammend this to also reflect Driver, Driver with Class A/B license, and Driver with A/B plus pump certification.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Bageler34; 04-24-2006 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bageler34
    You all may want to go check your apps/1199 to see if anything has changed even if previously denied for SAFER.

Here is our situation...we received an 1199 confirmation note today for SAFER. In December we had received the standard form letter with the following clause:

"Regrettably, after awarding departments with scores higher than the scores assigned to your department's application, we do not have enough funding to offer you an award at this time. However, your application scored well enough that if we identify any excess funding from unused administrative funds or if some of the applicants that have been offered a grant decline the offer, we may be able to fund your request. Be advised that if any excess FY 2005 funding does become available, it may not be identified until late in the Federal fiscal year."

We now have an award number on our 1199 for SAFER so things are looking pretty good.

BTW- We're all volunteer, went for recruiting and retention with funding requested for:

Baseline physicals
    Incentive program (based on calls/training attendend and level of certification)
    Commercial Drivers license training/certification
    PR materials including letters and refrigerator magnets with contact #s

Woohoo if true!

Kurt- you may not have directly helped with this one but I think I am owing you a case of Yuengling. It's been a good year.

Stacey
    MVFD
    Stacey that is great news. I am pleased to see that the persistence factor is paying off. Never say die! The fact that you all are now having greatly increased success at gaining the awards speaks volumes ot having proper training and a working understanding of how the grants work and what the reviewers look for. This also goes to show you that the #10 reason for grants being denied ( they simply ran out of money) is in fact not a myth, but favct! Keep on applyling. Keep me advised.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Hey me too!

I also got my 1199a form yesterday. My grant was asking for almost identical to yours. Including yearly physicals, an incentive program (to supplement what we are doing now), and researching an explorer program for our department and our automatic aid department. Whooo Hoooo. Without the AFG programs, we would never, never be able to do what we are planning on doing. Our department's $9,000/year doesnt go very far..... And with gas prices going up.... and insurance going up..... and the economy in the toilet.... We aint gonna get more for a while. (yes the economic boom hasnt hit the Coeur d'Alene Reservation yet... George W. said it was coming though!)

Congrats to all who are getting this extra funds!

--Chief Sanford
    Tensed Fire Protection District
    Tensed, ID

Forum Member

Chief Sanford,

If possible, I'd love to take a peek at your narrative. Your program sounds exactly like what we are proposing this year.

Angus Maciver
    Stratfield Vol. FD
    Fairfield, CT.
    info@rescue15.com
    www.rescue15.com

Forum Member

Question Funny, Still haven't been denied or 1199A'd for 05 SAFER

Annyone else? I have repeatedly called and emailed since December and there is still a "wait, it isnt over" attitude at DHS. I actually spoke with FireGrant folks at FDIC and they thought it was odd, espcially after mentioning specific names I have been in contact with. What gives? Does anyone have insight on the remaining 05 SAFER funding?

Forum Member

Default safer

How much was allocated for the 05 SAFER grants? I think there is a little more than 62 million out now but I thought that it was a little over 100 million goin out.

Forum Member

I think it was only $65 million for 05....but who knows exactly how much money was refused. May be another round...Maybe not!

MembersZone Subscriber

SAFER awards to date: $61,356,528
    Appropriation: $65,000,000 (I believe is the correct figure)

FY2006 appropriation $110,000,000

With so many departments refusing the grants, there probably is still money to be given out. A near by department (a month ago) still had not heard one way or the other.

We are gearing up for our 2006 request. I have sent our narrative to the ivory palace (city hall) for review and when the period opens for applicaitons all I will have to do is fill in the blanks!

I am not suprised tht you received no response from them. I sent an email through the system about 3 weeks ago and have not even received an acknowledgment that they received it.

I guess with the new news of people still getting awards is good. We did get a rejection, but I guess we may be in line for reconsideration.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile 9.5 questions

I received the questions today in my personal email. I dont know the timeline, but it is still a good sign. Thanks to all who directly or indirectly assisted me in this endevor.

Here is to crossed fingers, crossed bugles and crossed axes... good luck to those still in the running.

Quote Originally Posted by san4rd
    I received the questions today in my personal email. I dont know the timeline, but it is still a good sign. Thanks to all who directly or indirectly assisted me in this endevor.

Here is to crossed fingers, crossed bugles and crossed axes... good luck to those still in the running.
    That's great news Shane. Keep everything crossed I think you will be getting a nice surprise quite soon.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking And the winner is....

Hey thanks are in order for all those who directly or indirectly helped my small lil department hook a big one!

Just got the call from Congressman Otter's office congratulating me on my award for the 2005 AFG SAFER grant in the amount of $80,000. I bet this should help us get the ranks up and keep the file in line.

Its funny the change that you go through from getting the 10?'s and then the 1199 and now the call. I cant wait to see my departments name on the offical notification list. TENSED FIRE.... not too tense any more...(actually it is pronounced TEN SAID).

Again thanks to all who helped. --Chief Sanford

MembersZone Subscriber

Congratulations Chief!!

Congrats Chief Sanford
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information