Forum Member

Default You hit a what?!

Was on vacation in the awesome state of Colorado this past week and headed home today. My plane took of from Denver Interntional Airport and landed in Baltimore. I got off the plane and started walking through the air port and I swear this is what I heard come over the loudspeaker of te airport.

"Attention! All passengers scheduled to be on flight 4032 in service to Charolette, your plane has landed, but will be delayed after....uh....uh... they are...uh your flight is delayed until maintenance checks the plane after they....(you hear him try to cover the microphone as he asks the person next to him) Are you sure this is right?" and the P.A. system is shut off.

It comes back on,

"Passengers for United Airways flight 4032 in service to Charlette from gate D43, your flight has been delayed due to mechanical problems because they hit a bird as they were landing.Our mechanics want to check the plne to make sure there isn't any damage, you should be boarding shortly."

I couldn't help myself, and started ing up, then I realized that gate D43 was two gates down, so I went down there and as the plane pulled in, there as feathers sticking out of the windshield.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I was delayed on a flight from Toronto to Vancouver many years ago for that same reason. When the a/c was landing in TO, it experienced a bird strike through the windscreen. When I checked in at the counter, was informed that we would be delayed 24hrs because the "parts had to come FROM Vancouver". Of course this was during the Christmas rush, so no other available outbound flights.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Birds and Planes are not a good mix

Just google birdstrike and look

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ke&sa=N&tab=wi
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

While taking off on runway 32 at Marlborough Airport on a flight lesson in a Cessna 172 Skyhawk, my IP and I had a "close encounter" with a red tail hawk at about 300 ft AGL (above ground level).. scared the daylights out of me!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya, that'd put a nice red "speed" stripe down the side of the fuselage, for sure.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

lol...this reminds me of Bill Engvall. "we hit a deer with our airplane"
    wifemg! were you on the ground?
    Billsarcastically)Nope...Santa was out making one last run

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shvfr4
    lol...this reminds me of Bill Engvall. "we hit a deer with our airplane"
    wifemg! were you on the ground?
    Billsarcastically)Nope...Santa was out making one last run
    Dangit, you got to it before me!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

Any airplane can suffer a bird strike. Alaska Airlines got a little more creative.

Alaska Airlines is the only airline to have suffered a Fish Strike. While all airlines have suffered bird strikes ( when a bird flies into a airplane ) Alaska Airlines holds the distinct honor of being the only airline in the world to hit a fish.

Flying out of Juneau, Alaska in 1986 a Alaska 737-200 was taking off, when towards the end of the runway, the pilot pulled back the stick, raised the nose wheels off the runway, then the main landing gear and at an altitude of just under 75 feet a bald eagle with a freshly caught salmon came into the path of the flight. Startling the bird, it released the salmon which crashed down onto the nose of the aircraft, shattering the small window above the co-plots head and sending scales and other "goodies" all along the side of the aircraft The plane returned to the airport and passangers were moved to another aircraft. 4 large dents and one window had to be repaired/replaced as well as a good cleaning to the aircraft at a cost of over 130,000 dollars, now that was one expensive salmon.

Now check out "salmon thirty salmon".

http://www.sitnews.us/1005news/10030...05_alaska.html

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Airplanes are supposed to hit birds. I was off when it happened, but my engine had a hawk hit it and come through the windshield while responding to a run about 9 years ago. It survived the crash(rig was going 50mph code 3), and commenced to flap about inside the cab while the driver and officer bailed out. It flew out the door and escaped, leaving a gaping hole and half it's feathers behind. Rig was out of service for 2 days waiting on glass.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was doing a ride along with one of our local medical helicopters when the aircraft suddenly shot upward, right after I heard the pilot over the intercom system say "OH *****." After he got himself collected, he told me and the nurse in the back that he had almost hit a bald eagle (we had actually discussed the presence of eagles in the area, which he doubted). When I asked if that was a bad thing, he told us it was big enough had it glanced off into the props, we'd have likely took a "rapid decent." The medic in the front seat did say the bird had the same look on his face as he and the pilot did.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22
    I was doing a ride along with one of our local medical helicopters when the aircraft suddenly shot upward, right after I heard the pilot over the intercom system say "OH *****." After he got himself collected, he told me and the nurse in the back that he had almost hit a bald eagle (we had actually discussed the presence of eagles in the area, which he doubted). When I asked if that was a bad thing, he told us it was big enough had it glanced off into the props, we'd have likely took a "rapid decent." The medic in the front seat did say the bird had the same look on his face as he and the pilot did.
    Had a similar experience while I was flying with the local aeromedical outfit. We were enroute to an demo at a local FD and were flying along. I was seated in a side facing seat behind the pilot and didnt have a good view out the windscreen. We are flying along I am looking out the side window of the a/c at the sky. Suddenly, I am looking at the ground, then sky again. A second later the pilot came on the intercom and said "Bird" and that was it. The medic asked if I was ok, which I was just a little suprised. Fortunately we missed the bird, and didnt have to do the rapid decent thing.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    Airplanes are supposed to hit birds. I was off when it happened, but my engine had a hawk hit it and come through the windshield while responding to a run about 9 years ago. It survived the crash(rig was going 50mph code 3), and commenced to flap about inside the cab while the driver and officer bailed out. It flew out the door and escaped, leaving a gaping hole and half it's feathers behind. Rig was out of service for 2 days waiting on glass.
    I smacked an owl like that in northern Alberta about 10yrs ago. There were quite a few of them that I saw through the night, sitting on the centre line. Most of them would fly up and AWAY from the car. Except one of course..... He lifted off the ground and turned RIGHT, which was into my line of travel. Smacked him doing about 110kph. Since these darn owls are so big.. I figured maybe 10 lbs worth at 110, his head made a hole in the windshield the size of my fist and actually broke through all layers of the glass. Pretty sure he was DRT though. Talk about getting a wake up shake!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    I smacked an owl like that in northern Alberta about 10yrs ago. There were quite a few of them that I saw through the night, sitting on the centre line. Most of them would fly up and AWAY from the car. Except one of course..... He lifted off the ground and turned RIGHT, which was into my line of travel. Smacked him doing about 110kph. Since these darn owls are so big.. I figured maybe 10 lbs worth at 110, his head made a hole in the windshield the size of my fist and actually broke through all layers of the glass. Pretty sure he was DRT though. Talk about getting a wake up shake!

back in the day, when I was a helicopter mechanic/crew chief for the NJ National guard, I was working out at the flight facility at Picatinny Arsenal in northern NJ. We have a huge problem with all the Canadian geese that have taken up residence here in NJ (Rick, take back your darn geese ). Before flight operations commenced, we had to clear the flight line of these pesky critters. We used bottle rockets. Pilots would leave for their flights and when they were returning, they would radio in, we would go out and clear the flight line again. best part of the day.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a huge problem with all the Canadian geese that have taken up residence here in NJ (Rick, take back your darn geese ).
    I would but they followed me here......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    I would but they followed me here......

I knew it was all your fault.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Forum Member

Default plane damage

Leaving McCarran from LV our flight was delayed because one of the lift trucks that provides food and such hit the wing. You could look out the window while they tried to figure out the damage and figure out repairs rerquired. In the end they put duct tape (military style 100mph tape) on the wing and we left. Reassuring, huh.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Duct tape, the Handy Man's Secret Weapon", according to Red Green.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench
    Leaving McCarran from LV our flight was delayed because one of the lift trucks that provides food and such hit the wing. You could look out the window while they tried to figure out the damage and figure out repairs rerquired. In the end they put duct tape (military style 100mph tape) on the wing and we left. Reassuring, huh.
    Duct tape is like the force! It has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

I once experienced a run in with a wild turkey, on a flight between Memphis and Milwaukee whil jupseating on a FedEx airbus. about 120ft AGL, on final, I hear the pilot say..

"WTF....turkeys don't fly this....oh Sh*t, hang on..."
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

There is always the same danger at ground level too..............
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Forum Member

Hitting birds is actually rather common. It would inspire a "we hit a wha?t reaction although it still reason to have concern. Assuming they don't cause engine failure or reduced engine power, they can definately do damage to the airfoils and control surfaces. Figure that plane is moving anywhere from 50 to 250 mph. The bird is hitting whatever it hits at that speed, which migh as well be someone swinging a sledge hammer at it. It it just hits the wing or fuselage, you would probably not have a problem. There is plenty of undamaged plane left to fly. If it manages to slam an elevator or rudder, that could be detrimental. There are ways to compensate but none are fun.

Now, the real problem is bigger animals. Deer grazing on the runway of an untowered, unlighted airport while making short final at 2am comes to mind. You may not see them until it's too late and believe me, small planes with small engines don't go from landing to climbing on dime. I'd rather take my chances with a turkey in hitting any part of the plane than slamming into a deer with any part of the plane.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

" I swear, with God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur P. Calson 1979

Forum Member

I had a friend of mine flying out of Kansas City Intl. in a 767 and they took a large hawk or eagle type of bird right to the engine.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Oh yeah...well what about hitting a 600 lb. moose?

http://www.1strespondernews.com/webp...2-488ddea74d2f

Thread Information