MembersZone Subscriber

Default Knoxville FD....

Does anyone when have any info on Knoxville's hiring and where they are in the hiring process?

Forum Member

Well, since our spineless mayor decided not to back our Chief--the one that HE personally selected for the job 15 months ago--and he was basically 'ran' out of office, the hiring of this years class has sort of been at a stand still. Initially Chief Perez posted the application and test dates early this year (they were in Feb/Mar) with hopes of starting a class in June or July--from what I understand. Depending who Mayor Haslam--yes, as in Pilot Oil CEO Bill Haslam--decides to put in office I think will determine this years class--or if there will be on at all.
    Look for somebody to be in place next week or the week after with a decision based on who takes over. Knoxville is in need of people in a bad way--overtime is rampant and is a big issue during every budget discussion. It's just a very 'tough' job to get compared to other cities of the same or bigger size.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face Knoxville

Thank you so much!! That was very helpful. My husband took both the physical and written test and placed well. Last we heard they said to look for interview info in the middle of April and we were getting worried. Thank you so much, at least we have an idea of what's going on there.

Forum Member

Yeah don't worry. As long as he is in the top 200-250 he should be interviewed whenever the time comes along. There is just no telling right now. From what I heard this was one of Chief Perez's big issues--the overtime--and so he was going to be running classes in and out pretty regularlly to combat that. BUT.....now, who knows. If I were a betting man, I would look for interviews to start in June/July with a class to follow shortly after (New budget readings begin in May and the new budget goes into effect July 01--which should be budgeted for a classs of 30-40).

Forum Member

Default NEW News.....

Knoxville appointed a new fire Chief, Robert Key Sr., late last week. Key was a bat. chief over the 2nd prior to his promotion. As far as this years recruit class--its still in the air as far as if there will even will be a class in place this year. Rumors are, from the budget hearing, that there is nothing budgeted for a class and that the next class is not scheduled until '07....BUT Chief Key has said he has do something with the overtime issue--which should mean another class in soon!

There is also talk about building 2-3 new stations over the next year or two (as per ISO officials' recommendations) which, if that is the case, there will have to be a class this year and next.

Just to keep you posted.
    Last edited by jonathanj003; 05-08-2006 at 06:12 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile thankyou

I can't tell you how much we appriciate you keeping us informed. I read online last week about the new appointment. Hopefully they will decide to put another class through this year. Until then our lives are on hold. Thanks for the info, you continue to be our Knoxville lifeline.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking finally...

We finally got some news from Knoxville. They will be interviewing at the end of August. Yeah!!!

Thread Information