Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Volunteer EMS Management

Yup! Thank you for your opinions!
    Last edited by emtbowman17; 05-16-2006 at 08:15 PM.

FossilMedic

Default What are you trying to say?

My first suggestion is that you edit your post so that:

1) Your points are clear
    2) The issue(s) are easily understood

I cannot begin to understand what you want in a response. This appears to be a post that airs organzational dirty laundry.

First rule of writing a letter which you want someone to read: Keep it short and to the point. Ever notice which letters you read on a "Letters to the Editor" page? I actually read the ones in which the author has been able to state his point in the first sentence and has wrapped up his thoughts in less than two paragraphs. As a director of an ambulance service, the letters which I receive that get the most attention and most positive response are those which exhibit the above qualities. That includes those who are trying to sell me something!

Forum Member

Default Interesting post

Wow

I am curious as to your certifications, and length of service. I gather from your post that you are 19 years old? I am trying to figure out how a 19 year old has gathered so much knowledge, and life skills as to be able to blast an Ambulance Association, and its leadership as you have?? I would also pick and choose my battles if I were you. If you are going to send that letter, than I would certainly spell check it, and organize it into a letter which has actual bullet points, and one other thing is if you are going to complain about something than offer a suggestion, or resolution. I'll be honest with you though, if a nineteen year old submitted that letter to my departments administration it would serve no point other than to foster tension, and ill will between members.

Jon

Forum Member

Bowman,

After reading most, but not all (it is really long), of your letter, I understand you situation and your frustrations. I have been, and to some degree still am, in the same situation. In my service similar problems stemmed from an aging group of members on all the governing bodies (Association Board, Executive Board, and EMS Commission), that were not moving forward, or keeping pace with advancements in the field.

What I learned in my fight:
    • Pick your battles
    • Start small, the momentum will pick up. You can't tackle big things day #1.
    • Each point you present as wrong should include two (2) different ways to make it right. If you don't provide a recommendation for a course of action you're just complaining.
    • Attend meetings and encourage others to do the same. Boards tend to do the right thing when they have to answer to a group. "Sunshine is the best disinfectant."
    • NEVER- go after or mention other members by name in a negative light. Target the issues, not the people. Remember, these are people that are (or think they are) just as passionate about EMS as you are. And you can't change anything by yourself, so don't turn people against you.
    As sfdffemt17 hinted about, a level of tact and professionalism is required, or any arguement, regardless of how valid it may be, will be dismissed very quickly.

I'm sure there is more, but it's a start. Be patient, change is a slow animal. Don't think I am presenting any of this from my high pedistal, I have made all these mistake one time or another. If you need anything feel free to email me.

Be safe,

Rob

More importantly, don't ever post locations and people's names in an internet forum without their permission. You are opening yourself up for way more trouble than you can imagine. My guess is, if anyone from your area sees this, your done.

As to the novel itself, I'm curious why you would push for a second station since you yourself state you have trouble staffing the 1 existing station for all the calls.

2nd, try to pick a couple battles and work from there, don't try to solve the world all at once.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

my IP address from college was hacked and used with the forum when it was posted
    Any fellow IT types want to join me in tossing the BS flag on this one?

Bowman,
    I tried to read your letter. and I have a couple of comments. the first is that is it too damn long. I copied and pasted it into word, and it comes out to 10 pages in length. no one is going to want to read all of it, and few people. The second is that your 19 years old. you can't solve the squad's problems. The squad has existed before you, and it will exist after you. Fight your battles, one step at a time. Also keep in mind because you are 19, people won't take you seriously. even if you have good points, if the rest of the squad is old people (ie, older than 30s), then having a 19 year old tell them they are all wrong just isn't going to fly.

The other comment I have is your "letter" has no direction. it has no purpose. you say you want a meeting. but then you give away all the stuff you want to talk about in a 10 page letter. why have a meeting with you, they know what you are going to talk about.

I once wrote a letter similar to this, about an EMS director. And if Rdog14 is who I think he is, he was one of the people who read it, and the general concensous was that I made some good points. The reason I wrote it was that I was ****ed about several things, and just wanted to get it off my chest. and what started out as a 1 page memo ran close to 7+ pages IIRC. It listed all the problems I had with a particular person, and why I thought him being in that position was detrimental to the organization.

Did it help my situation in anyway? no. were any changes made because of it? not that I am aware of. did the person who it was directed to even read it in it's entirety? don't really know. Did I show it it everyone I could? no, I sent it to that person, and sent copies to the 5 field supervisors, and noted that on the original paper. that was all. no dirty laundry was made public, no other agencies knew about the problems we were having, it was all kept in house. but it made me feel better, and in the end, that was all I could do. and I walked away from the organization (still friends with several of their members), and joined a different organization, and never looked back.

If you want to have a meeting, write a letter requesting just that. give a couple of reasons as to why you want it. don't give details, just keep it short and simple that you want to speak to address these concerns. save your 10 page letter for the meeting, when you have a captive audience. and even then, organize it into bullets, to make it easier for them to read.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite
    ...if Rdog14 is who I think he is...
    Busted. I remember the letter, but not the details. You speak the truth about how it went down. As far as change, the member in question did eventually leave for bigger and better things. Maybe you've heard about his replacement

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840
    my IP address from college was hacked and used with the forum when it was posted
    Any fellow IT types want to join me in tossing the BS flag on this one?
    Agreed

Thread Information