Forum Member

Thumbs up champion rescue tools

we have been looking at the champion product line,and we are very impressed with the use of the tools as well as the first rate warranty.
    we would like to hear from other dept's that have them and also comments about the product.

Forum Member

I have always been impressed with their RC-5 cutter. And now I think they have raised the bar with the new B.E.A.S.T. Spreader / Cutter dual purpose unit. Their rams appear to be innovative with the coupling mechanism they have developed. I have used Champion Tools in a demo, and they performed well. I would not be afraid to try them out if I were a decision maker.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

I use Champion at my FT department. We carry a Mini-Spreader, Cutter, and a small power unit on most of the trucks, then the rescue has a full spreader, ram, cutter, and the dual tool power unit. For the most part, they're not bad. I've only had two issues with them (most of which is personal preference and what I'm used to using before them, but I'll toss it out anyway):

1- The cutters are limited to the width of cut you can make and the blade tends to bind a bit. If we had some kind of cutter capable of making a deeper cut, it'd be nice. To adapt we've resorted to using air chisels on cars where we need to take off larger posts (SUVs mostly).

2- The big spreaders seem to tear more than they spread. It'd be nice if they had the tips like the mini-spreaders.

I would be interested to see their new spreader/cutter tool they have. Looks more ideal to work with.

Forum Member

Thumbs up B.e.a.s.t.

i just got back fron Indy (FDIC) and looked at the new beast that champion has. you can actually remove the cutter head and replace with 28" arms in about 5-6 seconds. in the cutter mode it opens 11" and cuts with 304,000psi
    or so they say.
    they had a tape running that showed the cutter going right through a solid sway bar, frames ect. . and the spreader was just eating doors . the tips are 1 1/2 wide and bite real nice.
    compared to all the others out there i think we have made our choice with CHAMPION.
    after looking at all the tools at the show , CHAMPION beat them all on warranty , size , weight , spead and cost , hands down.....

take care

Forum Member

Cool

I also spent some time in the Champion booth... one big question... would you spend your money with a company that has set itself up to go out of business?

A "lifetime" warranty... whether you break it, they mis manufactured or itjust plain wears out, they will either give you a new one or repair the one you have.

Just how long can a company do business, and lets face it, it is a very small player in the rescue tool world, when it will give new tools away or repair the ones at no cost...

Remember what your Uncle Fester told you... if it sounds too good to be true... it probably is!

Sounds too fishy for us to give our money to them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jaws.... Hold on a minute before you write the check.... I also spent a lot of time in the booth at FDIC. The tools concept is good but I question the changing of the tips. The spreaders have a pivoting motion to them, the cutters don't. If you noticed they were changing the tips out in the open position. My question is if you have left the spreaders nearly closed and the cutters open, aren't you going to have to adjust the cylinder going out to meet the position set on the cutters? I asked that to the people in the booth and they said it would go in any place. I find that very hard to believe when the spreaders had a pivoting motion in the center and the cutters didn't. It appears that it could take much longer than the 5 or 6 seconds they claim

Forum Member

Thumbs up champion

well i think that CHAMPION can make those claims , as the people we talked to who have there product are very pleased with the tools. my understanding is that the tools hold up through some tuff use. not just in the us but also world wide.
    the company may be a small player , but so was everyone else but hurst for along time. now the small guys have ovetaken hurst.
    we still think the CHAMPION line is the way to go. as far as the new cutter. we talked to bob Dowd from comstock mi fd. he did most of the testing on the beast. he says the same as the company that the change can be made from any position.
    a company who's product is dependable and built to last will stay in business because depts who have the product will buy more.
    take care

Forum Member

Jawsone - What part of Ohio do you sell the Champion Tool???

I have a freind going to a fire school for auto extrication near Toledo next week - will champion be there??? Maybe you could go or arrange for them to be there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

University of Missouri Summer Fire School will be held June 7-11. I will be teaching two vehicle rescue classes. We are boasting tools to use this year = Hurst, Phoenix, Champion and TNT. Lots of hands on with different tools for the attendees. Alan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Isitjustme
    I also spent some time in the Champion booth... one big question... would you spend your money with a company that has set itself up to go out of business?

A "lifetime" warranty... whether you break it, they mis manufactured or itjust plain wears out, they will either give you a new one or repair the one you have.
    I think you are failing to see the big picture from the business stand point. A "lifetime" for a rescue tool, in my humble opinion, is really based more upon the technology than the period of time that the tool is functional. The original hydraulic rescue tools sold to the fire service weighed around 70 pounds... and many of these tools are still functional today. However, given the choice, we all would prefer to "replace" those tools with the lighter tools of today. Even the tools that were made in the mid to late 80's are now becoming a bit obsolete because of the improvements in design since then.

While I am not a sales rep, it appears to me that the hydraulic tool market is driven more by customers buying updated equipment than it is by replacing worn out equipment. With that in mind, Champion can safely offer a life time warranty, when the reality is that if an older tool wears out it is very likely the owner would be in the market to upgrade their system rather than keeping the old tools in service.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

The lifetime warranty claim includes wearing out. Why would you ever need to "buy" another... it wore out, give me my new one. We left the compartment dooe unlatched and the pump fell out... give me a new one.

Buy it once! There will be no additional cost... do you truely believe that will be the case?

There is a severe case of "smoke blowin" at Champion Rescue Tools.

Forum Member

Medic,Once again you are spot on.The tools of generation one for the most part are still working,however the new tools are stronger,lighter and faster.As far as tools being warrantied,most have disclaimers for damage by ignorance;IE a pump falling out of a compartment. Champion may be an exception to this rule,I haven't studied their warranty word for word.And remember,most tools regardless of warranty are only as good as their support system.Included in that are your dealers and service technicians.Without good support the best tools in the world have limited value.We've used Holmatro for years,we have a good dealer and they are excellent tools.Others will have loyalty to Hurst,Amkus,TNT, etc.The BEST way to evaluate tools,at least for me,is head to head in field trials on identical jobs.I know of no better way to compare equipment than working it for it's intended purpose.And I can say from experience that there is some top shelf equipment available to us today. T.C.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up Been there done that...

Ive used them out in Lodi, Ca. LOVED THE TOOLS. I will say they are some of the best tools that ive ever used. Love the cutters. My dept. out here uses Hurst and I would take Champion anyday over Hurst...

Forum Member

Dose anyone know if there is a Champion Dealer in the Texas area?
    I am putting on an Extrication School / Expo next spring with four days of basic, intermediate, advanced, classes and Big Rigs class, and a team competition on Sunday.
    I have five of the major brands already scheduled to furnish tools, I would like to get Champion in on it too, because we are hearing so much about them, but I have not seen them yet.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

Forum Member

I believe they have a dealer locator on their webpage.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jawsone
    we have been looking at the champion product line,and we are very impressed with the use of the tools as well as the first rate warranty.
    we would like to hear from other dept's that have them and also comments about the product.
    Our neighbors to the south of us have a large selection of Champion tools, and they seem to be very happy with them.We trained with them not to long ago and the tools were easy to use,Imust say.

What part of the state are you from?

I've always used Halmatro Tools since I've been in the fire service,at my ft job we use Hurst,but if I had my choice I'd use the Halmatro.BE SAFE

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I just finished two classes last week at Missouri state summer fire school. I used T-N-T, Hurst low pressure gold line, Champion, and phoenix. On all cars used the tools worked just great. Thier were spreader issuse with the Phoenix and champion that were due to the way they were made. However the cutters when put to the test on an old 70 model derby vehicle ALL FAILED. None cut the A pillar hinge area like they will on a newer vehicle. We had no other issues during the class. The class consistenly stated combo tools have thier place just would not want to own one by itself. Also, champions new cutter I was also told is just now getting another update. So make sure you get the most up to date cutter if you do purchase champion. Do Not forget to check with other departments in your area about service of the tool and get it in writting when they talk about how they will service your needs when you buy. Good Luck, Alan

Forum Member

Found this today, shucks the idea of whether or not they are American made or not.

http://wjz.com/video?cid=7

type it in, cut and paste it, but it is a good link.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hrtrescue10
    Found this today, shucks the idea of whether or not they are American made or not.

http://wjz.com/video?cid=7

type it in, cut and paste it, but it is a good link.
    And what does this have to do with Champion Tools... which I believe are made in California????
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just bought the whole set and they are working out great. Another rumor that we heard from the owner who came up and trained us on them said that Morning Pride is looking at buying them. If that is in fact the truth then they may be a small player but won't take long to enter the big league and become a contender with Holmatro, Hurst and all the other teams out there.
    GO CHAMPION GO.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Have questions about the tool,

Good Morning, My email is HRB123@AOL.COM I am a fire fighter in a city in New Jersey. We are looking into this tool we currently have hurst, amkus, holmatro, on alot of different trucks not one vehicle. lol. I am looking at the beast combo tool the numbers look good power wise thou from someone in the field who has swicthed the head over How hard is it? That seems to be the big concern. I dont mind having to switch over if its the most powerful cutter in our arsenal. Feel free to respond to my post or email me.

Be Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HRB123 View Post
    Good Morning, My email is HRB123@AOL.COM I am a fire fighter in a city in New Jersey. We are looking into this tool we currently have hurst, amkus, holmatro, on alot of different trucks not one vehicle. lol. I am looking at the beast combo tool the numbers look good power wise thou from someone in the field who has swicthed the head over How hard is it? That seems to be the big concern. I dont mind having to switch over if its the most powerful cutter in our arsenal. Feel free to respond to my post or email me.

Be Safe
    It only takes a few seconds. It's pretty simple, actually. You pull three pins, slide the head off, slide the new one on, put in three pins.

The first few times you do it, there's a bit of a learning curve figuring out how far the cylinder needs to be out for each head to go on easily. Once you have a feel for that, there's no reason you can't change heads in 30 seconds or so.

Thread Information