Forum Member

Default Anybody getting new Rigs?

Just wondered what CT departments got this year for new trucks? We're waiting on our new tanker, should be here mid may.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What Compan?

What kind of tanker did you purchase, I am currently on a tanker committee for Durham.

Forum Member

We took bids from 4guys, Pierce, and US tanker...ended up with the 4guys..if i remember pierce was 30k more...anyway its a Kenworth T800sh, 435 hp C13 Cat, 4000 series Allison, aluminum wheels, all LED lighting.... body is an elliptical 3000 gal SS tank, 1000 gpm Q-pak pump, 2 cross lays, mid mount air dumps on both sides and an rear air dump....if i remember right....what are you specing?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re:

We are looking at a Kenworth T800 with a 2500 gal. Tank but we are stuck on elliptical or square tank, q pak 500 gal pmp. We are trying to make it as short as possible and have a good turning radius. Can you send me your specs for the bid and a copy of your drawings?

Forum Member

I realize this is topic is alittle on the dead side but I'll put my input in. We got a new tanker this past September, a Pierce custom rig. 1850 gallon square tanker on a Frieghtliner chassis. Link to follow:

http://www.firematic.com/trucksnew/new_fairfield/

Its a very nice truck, the turning radius is so short there's no more three-point turning in cul-de-sac's (spelling?)

MembersZone Subscriber

I think Quaker Hill (Waterford) is getting a new engine scheduled for delivery this fall. Poquetonnock (sp?) (Preston) also just got a new engine. North Stonington has a newer engine too though I am not sure it is current-year-new.

MembersZone Subscriber

Heres our newest truck. We put her in to service this past october

http://www.firematic.com/trucksnew/rocky_hill/

Forum Member

Nice.

Our tanker came up from PA today, then it headed to the dealer in NH to get some chrome done and some other finishes...be back Saturday for our charter parade...great looking truck..can't wait till its in service

Forum Member

RChadd, don't know if your going to the NE Chiefs show but our Kenworth will be there with 4 Guys.

Forum Member

We're looking to replace the peice of garbage - getto cruiser E-One Quint I'm on. We want bassicly the same thing again (100' tower) but hopefuly this time it won't be a frackin E-ONE. We love the Peirce and the Smeal.

The E-ONE has some plusses though if it's running. Great jack system! Great cabinet storage! Great safety record! But poorly built!
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

Keith

I know W. Hartford had a bunch of layoffs a while back, is there any possible openings coming in the future?

Forum Member

I see you work is west hartford...I think the man that specs your trucks and equipment is one of my FF1 instructors....anyway we have an eone engine and that all....in think its a cyclone?? from the 80's...not a bad truck but things are starting to go wrong...it is 20 yrs old though, i guess somethings should be expected

Forum Member

Here is what we are getting in Enfield. North Thompsonville will be taking delivery of a Seagrave Engine. It is built on an International 4 door cab. The rig will be similar to a Urban/Wildland Interface vehicle. Thompsonville has 2 Seagraves on order to be delivered in January. They are both on Maurrauder 2 Cabs. The first being a 1500gpm, 500gal Rescuepumper, the second has the same tank and pump, but will be a straight engine. Hazardville is also gatting a Seagrave Rescuepumper built on a Maurauder 2. The rig will be similar to Thompsonville's. Enfield FD has a Pierce Rescuepumper on order. It will be on a Lance cab, 1500gpm pump, 750 tank. Lastly the Special Operations Division has placed an order with Hackney for a 21' Rescue. It will be built on a Spartain Big Easy and will carry Confined Space, Trench, Building Collapse and Hazmat equipment.

Forum Member

crankshaft - West Hartford has NEVER laid off anyone. What happened is a buy out to eliminate some positions through atrition. Ladder 2 was closed and they had to get rid of those positions so the city offered 5 years added to your pension if you had 15 years or more to go away. This still did not get rid of all the poisitions so we ran heavy for a while. We now have 1 vacancy. I have not heard of them testing to fill it. More overtime for us.

2004f550 - Who is your instructer? Our rigs run all day long on mostley busy work bull crap like inspections, preplaning, and general crap. so we put alot of miles on. For example my rig is a 1992 E-One 100' Platform and it has 100,000 miles on it, 3 different collor rims, most of the lettering is rubed off. It's very "salty".

Forum Member

Wow Keith, Your getting cranky in your old age or is it from being in West Hartford to long ??? You weren't that cranky in Southington.

Can you figure out who this is ???

Later buddy

Forum Member

Maximfire - Hi Doug. With a name like Maximefire who else could it be? How have you been? Tell the boys at the duece I said hi.

Cranky? You Southington boys don't know how good you have it with your pierce rigs! If you want to see cranky lokk on the firefighting forum under volunteers forced to quit! Then you will see a touch of my crankyness. Better yet - Do a search of my past post replies. It's hours of good entertainment.

Forum Member

I'll Have to check them out, You have always supplied fine quality entertanment over the years. As for our trucks we have, We have a ladder that can't fly, do to the last fly has to be replaced, No spare ladder in house, have to call another town for one. Our pumper, Cab leaks when raining, a/c crapped out, dash board lights trip out ever time the drivers door is open, So out trucks aren't that far off. Keith swing by the station some night the door always open for a good friend.

Stay Safe

Badge

MembersZone Subscriber

Maxim and W.Hart Keith,

Just so you guys know, when it rains outside, the Pierce I ride in at E-1 rains inside, too. Water drops right in my lap in the Officer spot. Must be standard equipment, a keep the firefighters hydrated thing. Electrical problems up the wazoo on 3 out of our 4 Pierces, but don't worry, once E-5 gets to be a couple more years older, I'm sure she will fit right in. BTW we now have an Italian high performance racing fire engine due in shortly. A Ferrari.....or is it Ferrara? A ladder is in the speccing stages as well. And Doug, me thinks we were in Inst. 1 together back in the day, Wolcott Fire School.
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

Forum Member

Leroy that is not the same Doug you are thinking of. This is Doug Badgley. You are thinking of Doug Roy. We have had this discussion before.
    I'll stop by 2's one of these mondays and say hey.

MembersZone Subscriber

!0-4 K

Thanks for the correction.
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re

We took delivery of our new engine in March. 2005 Ferrara Ignitor, 1500 gpm pump, 1000 tank, stainless steel body. The engine has been great, in fact we just went out to bid for a new engine to replace the one that crashed in May and we are hoping to get another Ferrara.

Forum Member

Default 2 new Engines to Manchester

Town of Manchester is getting 2 new ALF Metros They are in town after being shown at FH Expo. Currently undergoing in house training 1500 gpm ss pump crew seating for 6 hyd ladder racks top mount and 1200' 5 inch The Dept is going back to ALF after trying out Pierces (2 quints 1 eng)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default We are closing in and getting ready to go out to bid by mid January

We have been working on a Tanker proposal for about a year and a half; we went from Peterbilt to Kenworth to a final decision of a Spartan 2 door ER Cab tandem axle 2300 gallon tanker. With a 500 gallon per minute pump, allot of the decision making was made on keeping it short as possible; the tanker will be about 26 feet.

Forum Member

Default New Rescue 7

Harwinton West Side just got there new R7 its a Peirce with 6 man cab rear mount rescue pumper. First rear mount rescue pumper for Peirce from what I understand. Has 1500 gpm pump 35 gal class B foam 700 gal tank. has cutters and spreaders, cribbing, Haz-Mat equipt. high angle rescue equipt. water rescue, 3 cross lays, 1200' of LDH, 250' of 2.5" Truck came out real nice.

MembersZone Subscriber

The department I volunteer for we got 2 new rigs in this year and we are looking to spec out a new Quint for my station. It wont arrive until 2008 but we are starting to look at all of our options now so we can present exactly what we want in July so we can get it quicker. http://firematic.com/trucksnew/newington_mid-mount/ and http://firematic.com/trucksnew/newington_tactical_unit/ .

Keith do you work on quint 3? I Grew up off South Quaker Lane. And I volly in Newington at CO 3's.

Thread Information