Forum Member

Default NJ - A ton of questions

First off, ive been reading this forum for quite some time and have made use of the search function.

Now the background info. Im 20 years old, currently in a volly dept. I work as an IBEW electrician. I would like to get hired in in 4-5 years. That way I could finish what I started with my apprenticeship. I think between my volly experience, counstruction experience, I would make a good career firefighter. My goal is to get hired on in Jersey City. Why you ask, b/c I really like the town, and its where a bulk of where my local get work out of, and its a city on the move.

So here are the questions:
    How do I find out about the hiring process in JC? EG testing dates, type of test, so I know what to study for, ect.

Do you think that realistically, i could have a job there in 4-5 year, or would it be even longer?

What are some website, or phone numbers I should find out (JCFD does not have a very detailed website about the info im looking for)

Any other info you may have would greatly be appreicated, thanks for reading this and offering you help.

Ive really got my heart set on JC, like I said b/c I really like the area and I do work in the Bergen, Hudson and Essex county area, so moving to JC would put my closer to were I work. I would consider some other depts, but b/c of the whole residency thing, I feel I would be better off in JC b/c it is the largest career dept, or at least right up there in size with Newark, Paterson, or Camden.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would encourage you to knock on the door and ask the firefighters. I am certain you will find them very helpful and they can best point you in the right direction.

I would also encourage you to enroll in an EMT course as well as fire science courses. When you are serious and "ready" per your 4 year plan you will have much to offer to the department.

Lastly, being an electrician brings a good knowledge base and demonstrates the ability to work with your hands.

Set a goal and follow it. It sounds like you have given it some thought. Do your research and execute your plan.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefightrs.com

MembersZone Subscriber

New Jersey has a truly messed up hiring system. Most of the towns in the state hire off of the STATE DOP list. For Jersey City you most likely have to live in the city at time of application all the way through til appointment. Additionally, it will take a long time for them to establish the list, Jersey City has no control over the list, only the NJ-DOP (which makes it so messed up). On MAY 1st the state is issueing the application i dont know if jersey city will be on this one or not. search the NJ.gov/DOP for the application annoucement.
    Good luck its probably the toughest battle to get hired
    Adam

Forum Member

Default Nj

Yes, the NJ hiring system is a maze. As mention it is a state test. I suggest if you really want to be a firefighter you take every test out of state you can get to. Find out the qualifications. Because you may never get a shot in Jersey City or the state.

My goal is to get hired on in Jersey City. Why you ask, b/c I really like the town, and its where a bulk of where my local get work out of, and its a city on the move.

Liking the town is not one of the best answers you can use to convince the panel you are the one for the job. The way you wrote your posting it sounded like you wanted the fire job thing so you could work your days off as an electrician? Not an impression you want to make in the hiring process. There are already enough folks running around in their huge pick em up trucks with constructions materials on board with that firefighter sticker in the rear window giving the public more fodder to use.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Liking the town is not one of the best answers you can use to convince the panel you are the one for the job. The way you wrote your posting it sounded like you wanted the fire job thing so you could work your days off as an electrician? Not an impression you want to make in the hiring process. There are already enough folks running around in their huge pick em up trucks with constructions materials on board with that firefighter sticker in the rear window giving the public more fodder to use.[/QUOTE]

Id be lieing if I said that If I did get hired I would not do side work, I mean I do side work now. But thats not the goal. If I chose a career based on money alone, as an IBEW electrician, I do just fine, if not better money wise then most firefighters. Id be going from one Union job to another, so im not stepping up, or down, speaking of terms of money, benifits, or pension. So by no means is the choice of being a career FF a way for me to just run a side job and use the dept as a way to just get free bennies. My point was I like Jersey City, and I love being a volly. Even though Im bad at math, I put 2 and 2 together and came up with that I feel my calling is to be a firefighter in Jersey City. Why JC, for the next several years im tied to this area, I dont want to leave my volly dept, I like NJ, and theres some places that are not very friendly for me to live in.

Im sort of between a rock and a hard place. My union job affords me college credits, which in this day and age is very important. The pay gives me the ability to afford buy a place to live at only 20 years old, so I can try to get hired. I I pick up and leave that job, how would I afford to have residency anywhere? No residency=no FF job. But sometimes I worry that I may never get hired. I realize that it may take years.

But bottom line is, me wanting to be a career firefighter it without a doubt not about money. B/c if all I cared about was money, id keep my IBEW job and in less then 10 years from now ill could be making $55/hour without having to even work with tools. I want to be a career firefighter b/c I feel its my calling, I love the fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Once again, the guru's show their ignorance about NJ.

In NJ, it does not matter if you have fire science courses, it does not matter if you have EMT, it does not matter if you interview well, it does not matter if you score 150% on the written test. There are three things that matter in NJ.

1. Move into Jersey City. If you are not a resident, with an established residence, you are not getting hired. There are plenty of nice apartments in the Heights. Downtown has some nice places, too, but they are going to be very pricey. Also, if you look at the Boulevard south of the Square, but north of St. Peter's, there are some possibilities there also. The fraternal organizations representing minority fire fighters have been known to conduct their own investigations of applicants residences to make sure they are legit in order to knock out white candidates.

2. You must be in great physical condition. The score will be heavily weighted as to what you score on the physical portion of the test. You will be competing against younger kids who are in great shape. In the past, JCFD has sponsored practice sites to orient yourself to the phyisical portion of the test.

3. Minorities are going to be given preference. Jersey City is/was one of the Consent Decree cities and their list will be scrutinized closely. It will almost certainly be challenged in court before it is certified.

If I were you, with the financial mess this state is in, is get out and don't come back. Go South young man!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Once again, the guru's show their ignorance about NJ.

In NJ, it does not matter if you have fire science courses, it does not matter if you have EMT, it does not matter if you interview well, it does not matter if you score 150% on the written test. There are three things that matter in NJ.

1. Move into Jersey City.
    2. You must be in great physical condition.
    3. Minorities are going to be given preference.
    If I were you, with the financial mess this state is in, is get out and don't come back. Go South young man!
    This is actully good news. Ive found some very nice places in JC that I like, I plan to be there by May or June. I work out at the gym everyday, more for a bodybuilding routine, but ill start throwing in some cardio. I wrestled in high school so I know a thing or 2 about fitness. I never knew that there the physical was so important.

Hmm I wonder, they say Sicilians are part black, maybe ill try putting that on my paperwork, haha.

Oh by the way, and try not to laugh, I love Jersey, ill never move out. High taxes, traffic, crappy weather, insanely priced real estate. I still love it though LOL!

R.I.P K.Apuzzio 4/11/06

Default JC Chill Town

Jersey City's a great place. I lived near City Hall on York Street for 18 months and loved it. George is right that the rent wasn't cheap but there are good places. The heights is a terrific option as well. Being close to NYC was fantastic and made shooting into get Wo Hop chinese food (17 Mott Street) very easy. That's what i miss the most. I didn't have the same connection with NJ as you and have moved south in search of a fire position. I took the JCPD test and passed but never took the JCFD test. My suggestion is to take as many tests as you can leading up to the JCFD one. I took NYPD, JCPD, PAPD, FDNY written tests in 2002 just to get some practice and it helped as each one I took I got a better score on. JCPD offered a free test taking clinic that was very helpful, not sure if they will do the same for the FD or not. Good luck.
    Last edited by Fargo2722; 04-24-2006 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar

Forum Member

What type of test is the "test?"

R.I.P K.Apuzzio 4/11/06

Quote Originally Posted by LaLaMan
    What type of test is the "test?"
    When i say test i'm referring to the written test, the first part of the hiring process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo2722
    When i say test i'm referring to the written test, the first part of the hiring process.
    And what kind of test is the written, civil service?

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face

Nj will be take applications starting in May. Here is some more info

http://www.state.nj.us/personnel/pub...f/FFapp_06.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/personnel/pub...hter_opps.htm#

Thread Information