Forum Member

Default Questions about MI departments

Hi all,

Was wondering what departments in MI hire. Are they city/county/township based? Fire-based EMS/third service? Just looking for some information about how things work there. Thanks.

Be safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

City & Township mostly, there maybe some county type stuff. Are you looking for fulltime or paid on call?

Here is the site for Union job openings.
    Job Openings
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Full-time. What kind of schedule is the norm (24/48, 24/72, etc.)?

Thanks for the link and info!

Forum Member

Like Westside said, mostly city and township based. Vast majority work 24s on a 52-56 hr week, some of the burbs will have 8 or 12 hr weekday coverage, with vollies/POC the rest of the time. The 24 hour schedules vary widely. Some are:
    XOXOOO
    XOXOOXOXOOOO
    XOOXOO
    XOXOXOOOO

Most Depts run EMS at some level. Detroit is the only one I can think of that has 3rd Service EMS, most are crosstrained FF/Medics on the ambulance or private ambulance for transport.

The job market for FFs in Michigan sucks right now. There are probably over 100 recently laid off FFs looking for jobs for you to compete against. More cities are laying FFs off or refusing to fill vacancies than are hiring by a factor of 10. Michigan has no reciprocity for FF certs, so you'll have to go to an academy in MI regardless of prior training. NREMT does have reciprocity, but you'd probably have to challenge the state test and do additional clinicals.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Michigan has no reciprocity for FF certs, so you'll have to go to an academy in MI regardless of prior training. NREMT does have reciprocity, but you'd probably have to challenge the state test and do additional clinicals.

For the F/F cert., I think you can take the challenge instead of the whole class.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by F52Westside View Post
    For the F/F cert., I think you can take the challenge instead of the whole class.
    Last I heard, not only do you have to be sponsored by a Fire Dept that is recognized by the MI Office of Firefighter Training (ie, not Federal or for profit), they will charge you a fee commensurate with the cost of the academy (approx $2000). This happened to 2 of my Marine Reserve ARFF troops.

If my info is incorrect Westside, feel free to say so.

Forum Member

Duallines, unless you have a reason to come to MI other than looking for a fire job you are better off in another state. Things are ultra competetive here, most suburban/rural FT jobs require paramedic before they will even look at you, then the hiring process is crazy in some departments ranging from people videoing your interview to the interview ending up being a full on interrogation. If you have another choice for a state you might want to check it out. If you don't then welcome and good luck.

This being said I hate dissing my state but I just wanted the truth to be known.
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

Thread Information