Thread: vehicle grants

Forum Member

Default vehicle grants

If you receive a grant for a vehicle ---- can you apply for one of a different type?

MembersZone Subscriber

The '06 Program Guidance said no. Will that change in the future??? I'd bet against it, but i'm not much of a gambler.
    earl

MembersZone Subscriber

I think that has been astipulation since the begining. I recall seeing almost every year that if you received a vehicle grant that you are not eligible to apply for another vehicle.

Hopefully we can light a fire under some people in Washington and get this program rebuilt to what it was and should be, maybe then there might be a chance. I'd have to agree at this point that it's a long shot.
    Stay Safe!

Scott
    Bellona Vol. Fire Co.

"There are three kinds of people, those that learn by reading; the few that learn by observation and the ones that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - anon.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It started with the 2004 program. There was one department awarded two trucks, 2001 and 2002 I believe but the total between them was under $130K or something low like that.

When I was in Dallas in 2003 at Fire-Rescue with our Heavy Rescue from the 2002 AFG was on display, I talked with the FPSs up there. I said we were going for the quint in the 2003 app they said it wouldn't happen. Last round DJ on it, so it almost did. That would have been over $950K in trucks to my department in back to back years. They had been noticing the trend to apply for more than one truck before that but they wanted to make sure that the money was spread out a bit, so the rule came into play. Makes sense to me, seems pretty fair too. Certainly makes everyone think about what truck they are going for if they can only get one. Makes it more of a needs assessment at that point too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know if the truck awards (or related DJs) will be out in time to beat the new EPA engine regulations? Vendors say truck prices will increase by $15-20K!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The last word on the motor changes was that if the crank went onto the engine block before 12am Jan 1st 2007 then it could be the current EPA regs instead of the new ones. They will probably front load the awards with trucks again to shorten the performance periods as much as possible. Very few trucks were awarded after Round 9 last year, so you should have plenty of time to have it spec'd and ordered. As long as you don't draw out the spec and design process that is.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know of a local department that, before they combined into one district, got a grant for a truck one year for the city, the next year for the rural (won't swear that was the order, but you get the point). They were still seperate when the applied, only got the district voted in a couple of months before they found out they were awarded. When AFG found out, they got stripped of the second award.

Thread Information