MembersZone Subscriber

Default "Impaired" Oklahoma Firefighter Run Over, Killed

From the Front Page:

"Impaired" Oklahoma Firefighter Run Over, Killed

Firehouse.com News

An Oklahoma volunteer firefighter killed when his vehicle ran over him at a controlled burn Friday night had been drinking, according to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

William L. Robinson III, 39, was driving a 1967 Kaiser Jeep registered to the Sarge Creek Volunteer Fire Department in a pasture when he fell out and was run over by the vehicle.

The Jeep continued another 84 feet and came to rest after striking a parked fire truck. Robinson was assisting with a controlled burn when the wreck happened about 9:30 p.m.

Robinson was treated at the scene, and taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The investigating trooper listed Robinson as "impaired" at the time of the crash following a blood alcohol test. But, the results will not be released at this time, said Gene Heisler, a communications officer with the highway patrol.

He also would not say if alcoholic beverages were found at the scene. But, he said the wreck remains under investigation.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.

I don't know if I really want any more information on this one. We'll see where it goes I guess.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

makes good girls go bad

this will not be a pretty situation
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

If the firefighter had been drinking and responded to the "controlled burn" fire... this is not a line of duty death!

4 questions....

Why?

Why?

Why?

How many more times does this crap need to happen before people remove their craniums from their rectums and realize that alcohol and firefighting don't mix?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Any comments from the alcohol in firehouse supporters?

Forum Member

Was he drinking at the firehouse? Was he drinking at the scene? Was he drinking somewhere else?

Does it matter? He drank (somewhere) and responded. That is the problem.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Was he drinking at the firehouse? Was he drinking at the scene? Was he drinking somewhere else?

Does it matter? He drank (somewhere) and responded. That is the problem.
    I doubt we will see anything out of the "alcohol is ok in my house" crowd. This is the number one reason I do not drink and respond, even if it's a sip of one beer. A brother is dead, and for what? One of the most disturbing things about this, is that, chances are, someone knew he had been drinking and did not say anything. I'm only speculating on the last part, but te Jeep was registered to the FD, so I can only assume he was at the FD for a regular drill night. Someone had to know he was or had been drinking.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

William L. Robinson III, 39, was driving a 1967 Kaiser Jeep registered to the Sarge Creek Volunteer Fire Department in a pasture when he fell out and was run over by the vehicle.
    So; he wasn't wearing his seat belt?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    If the firefighter had been drinking and responded to the "controlled burn" fire... this is not a line of duty death!

4 questions....

Why?

Why?

Why?

How many more times does this crap need to happen before people remove their craniums from their rectums and realize that alcohol and firefighting don't mix?
    Not so fast, Gonz.
    You can have drugs or alcohol in your system at the time of your duty and it would still be LODD if you succumbed while on duty.
    Where the LEVEL of drugs or alcohol come into play is for the federal death benefits.
    So; LODD? I would say "yes". PSODBs? Depends on the level, but I am leaning towards "no" on this one.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    I doubt we will see anything out of the "alcohol is ok in my house" crowd. This is the number one reason I do not drink and respond, even if it's a sip of one beer.
    actually, with the information we have at the moment, the whole idea of alcohol in a fire house has nothing to do with the situation. I'll say it again, I have no problem with having alcohol or a bar in a volunteer firehouse, however I do (as does almost everyone here) have a problem getting on the apparatus after drinking. there is a difference there, one that many people seem to not comprehend.
    A brother is dead, and for what? One of the most disturbing things about this, is that, chances are, someone knew he had been drinking and did not say anything.
    I agree, that is very disturbing.
    I'm only speculating on the last part, but te Jeep was registered to the FD, so I can only assume he was at the FD for a regular drill night. Someone had to know he was or had been drinking.
    from the description of the truck, it sounds like a brush truck. maybe he was in it by himself, maybe he went to the bar before drill night and then came to the firehouse, maybe he took the brush truck to the store and bought a 12 pack to enjoy during the drill, maybe the entire department got hammered, and he was the only one driving. I don't know, there are too many maybes, before you start assuming things, lets wait and see what the investigation brings.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

I don't think this has anything to do with the "alcohol in the firehouse or not" debate. The fact is, he responded while impaired. No matter what side of the fence you're on with the beer in the station issue, responding while intoxicated should never happen. The end result speaks for itself.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite
    actually, with the information we have at the moment, the whole idea of alcohol in a fire house has nothing to do with the situation.
    Yes it does, as we don't knowwhere he was drinking.
    I'll say it again, I have no problem with having alcohol or a bar in a volunteer firehouse
    I do. We are allowed alcohol one time a year, that's our christmas party, and AFAIC, it's one too many days.
    however I do (as does almost everyone here) have a problem getting on the apparatus after drinking. there is a difference there, one that many people seem to not comprehend.
    maybe he was in it by himself, maybe he went to the bar before drill night and then came to the firehouse, maybe he took the brush truck to the store and bought a 12 pack to enjoy during the drill, maybe the entire department got hammered, and he was the only one driving. I don't know, there are too many maybes, before you start assuming things, lets wait and see what the investigation brings.
    Quite honestly, it matters little. What I do know is that a change will occur, and the only reason that change will occur is becuase someone lost their life in a preventable incident, and that's the most unfortunate part.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Alcohol

The issue isn't alcohol in the "firehouse". It's alcohol in the "humans".

Makes no diff if there are 500 cases stacked in the rec room at a firehouse, alcohol in a container isn't doing anything but taking up space in the container until someone opens the container and drinks it !!

IF you or anyone else drinks at the Firehouse, DO NOT get in or on the Apparatus if an alarm comes in! Simply STAY BEHIND.

If your at home having a few, and the pager or alarm goes off STAY AT HOME !

If your out having dinner and a few, and the pager goes off.. STAY AWAY from the firehouse, the apparatus, the fire scene.

Where the alcohol is located (outside the body) is NOT the problem. Put it on a chain and wear it around your neck. Make a belt like a holster, and wear a 12 pack around your waist, fill up the tub and soak in it... JUST DON'T DRINK IT, then drive, or operate a fire apparatus, or your POV for that matter. That's when it becomes a problem.

This ain't Rocket Science guys. If you want to drink stay home, and drink. If you want to drink at the firehouse stay at the Firehouse, and drink. If you want to operate apparatus, drive apparatus, fight fire, do EMS work, start IV's, perform ACLS,... etc. Simply don't drink when you may be expected to perform Fire/EMS duties, and everything should be ok!
    Take Care & be SAFE
    Bert

Forum Member

Before posting... please make sure you read the above statement by RetJaxFF. Couldn't have said it better myself..
    Last edited by FTMPTB15; 04-24-2006 at 08:38 PM. Reason: doh!
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RetJaxFF
    The issue isn't alcohol in the "firehouse". It's alcohol in the "humans".

Makes no diff if there are 500 cases stacked in the rec room at a firehouse, alcohol in a container isn't doing anything but taking up space in the container until someone opens the container and drinks it !!
    This is semantics. Fact is as long as it's in the firehouse, it'll be in the humans.

IF you or anyone else drinks at the Firehouse, DO NOT get in or on the Apparatus if an alarm comes in! Simply STAY BEHIND.

If your at home having a few, and the pager or alarm goes off STAY AT HOME !

If your out having dinner and a few, and the pager goes off.. STAY AWAY from the firehouse, the apparatus, the fire scene.
    Yes, 100% in agreement here, but as long as it's viewed OK by the "old timers" and those who "feel fine, I'm not drunk" crowd, then it will stay the same. Though tragic, perhaps this FF's death will open a few eyes, I hope it will, but in my head and my heart I know it won't.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Forum Member

In a '67 Kaiser? I doubt it.
    Right. Just hangin' around the ol' fire station bar when the fire of the century comes in...simply "stay behind." Sure. Don't make me laugh.
    Oh, wait; too late.

Forum Member

Nozzleman, It's possible it had seat belts. When I first got on the department we had a '62 AM General with seat belts. I commented about it to the training officer during driving training and he said they had an older Kaiser-Jeep before the AM General and it had seat belts too.

I just want to know what William L. Robinson III was doing that he fell out and was run over. If he was so impared that he fell out of the vehicle as he was driving I feel for his department. I just hope this was an isolated use of alcohol by an individual and not part of the agenda for the department at the prescribed burn.

Brad

Forum Member

Even though he might have made bad decisions, he is still a brother, and I hope he rests in peace.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=pfd4life]This is semantics. Fact is as long as it's in the firehouse, it'll be in the humans.QUOTE]

It's nice to see that you think everybody has such high amounts of self control.

I don't know about you, but I'm not magically drawn to alcohol when I see a can of beer somewhere, walk to it like a moth flies to a lightbulb and start drinking.

Forum Member

Default jumping the gun?

When the toxicology report comes back, it will clear him," said Dale Block, one of the state's rural fire defense coordinators. "It angers me that it's out there that he was impaired..."

Forum Member

also from the article....
    The Sarge Creek Volunteer Fire Department has no building, and only a half dozen or so members.
    Guess that rules out the "drinking in the firehouse" theory.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Yea, I guess that does pretty much shoot down the firehouse bar threory.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    CR
    Kaiser made the 2 1/2t (Duece) 6x6 for many many years. And they were not manufactured with seatbelts. As I recall seatbelt addon kit appeared sometime in the 90s. So many DOD surplus 6x6 will not have seatbelts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa
    Kaiser made the 2 1/2t (Duece) 6x6 for many many years. And they were not manufactured with seatbelts. As I recall seatbelt addon kit appeared sometime in the 90s. So many DOD surplus 6x6 will not have seatbelts.
    Ah Hah! So I might be right about the seat belt thing?
    Glad I didn't jump the gun on the alcohol thing. Who brought it up, anyway?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone heard the hospital report on alcohol? Anyone that drives those old duce1/2 trucks is "impaired", it is sad that the police jumped to drinking when he was killed.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn

It's nice to see that you think everybody has such high amounts of self control.

I don't know about you, but I'm not magically drawn to alcohol when I see a can of beer somewhere, walk to it like a moth flies to a lightbulb and start drinking.
    Hmm...I don't know about you, but when "shooting the s*it" around my part of the woods, firehouse or not, it usually ends up involving a trip to the bar. Even after our regual drill nights....at least a half dozen or more of our guys go to a bar. Just the way it is I guess.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Thread Information