******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

I thought oxygen tanks were for EMS?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

yeah interesting...
    My opinions are my own and do not, in any way, reflect those of any agency to which I am affiliated...

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    I thought oxygen tanks were for EMS?

I caught that too, but then consider the writer had no idea at all in the beginning.

Not a bad piece overall though, certainly better than some of the other "news writings" we've seen recently.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I loved it! Have any of you put on anything like this for your community? If so, how did yours go?
    Last edited by pkfd7505; 04-24-2006 at 01:09 PM.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yup!!.............

Quote Originally Posted by pkfd7505
    I loved it! Have any of you put on anything like this for your community? Is so how did yours go?
    We had an opportunity to burn an old farmhouse for training, and the local weekly had recently hired a new reporter, so we invited her to come watch the burn. After some preliminary discussion, and the obligatory Safety Briefing, I directed the first crews to suit up, and only half kidding, asked the reporter if she would suit up and see the action from the front row seats. She did, and it led to a large front page story and an excellent relationship with the paper that still continues today.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    We had an opportunity to burn an old farmhouse for training, and the local weekly had recently hired a new reporter, so we invited her to come watch the burn. After some preliminary discussion, and the obligatory Safety Briefing, I directed the first crews to suit up, and only half kidding, asked the reporter if she would suit up and see the action from the front row seats. She did, and it led to a large front page story and an excellent relationship with the paper that still continues today.

What better way to get them to see things from your point of view is there other then letting them "see" things from your point of view. I'm sure there will be allot of controversy over this though. Did your dept catch any flak over it?

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

ive always wanted to have something like this for the public. we even thought about making this a fund raiser thing. i think alot of people would like to try the " Be a _______ for a day." thing. what else would be neater than a firefighter.
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

There's absolutly nothing wrong with not being cut out to be a firefighter. I just wish some firefighters were as smart as this author to realize that they are in the wrong line of work.

Early Adopter

Question How do you mean?

What better way to get them to see things from your point of view is there other then letting them "see" things from your point of view. I'm sure there will be allot of controversy over this though. Did your dept catch any flak over it?
    Why would their be controversy or flak in allowing the media to see how things work from our point of view? My city has had a "citizen's public safety" academy in the past, where citizens get to see police and fire in action. However, I've never had the opportunity to be a part of it. I think it's a wonderful idea.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis
    Why would their be controversy or flak in allowing the media to see how things work from our point of view? My city has had a "citizen's public safety" academy in the past, where citizens get to see police and fire in action. However, I've never had the opportunity to be a part of it. I think it's a wonderful idea.
    I meant possible controversy over safety concerns with letting untrained personnel enter an unsafe environment. You have to admit, if one of those guests were to get injured, the possibility of a lawsuit does exist. Trust me, I agree with you %100, it's a terrific idea and I would like to see something like this in my community.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Forum Member

My department did this a year ago, inviting 8 members of the community that deal with the Fire Department on a daily basis - myself and another anchor from KEYC for media, the director of Public Relations for the city, two nurses from the local hospital, the head janitor from a local highschool, and the Director of Safety Services for Minnesota State University. It was basically an 8 week stripped down recruit class, 1 day a week, four hours a day. The department did an amazing job of stuffing so much into such a short period of time - two of us took the Physical Agility Test (no one else seemed up to it, oh well), they got us two cars to cut up with the Rescue Squad, we were walked through the investigation of a local fire by the Fire Marshall, and finally had a live burn of a 110 year old granary out in the country. It was all this that really motivated me to apply for the department - and am I glad I did.

Our city is rather unique in doing these, I think. This past winter the Police Department put on a similar academy as well - I participated in the first four weeks, including training with SWAT officers, getting tased, and some hands on crime scene investigation work. I believe they're going to be doing two of these a year, one with the PD, one with the FD. I would HIGHLY suggest talking to your department about the possibility of this type of Citizen's Academy - being able to get this kind of experience is something many more people could benefit from.

Feel free to shoot me a line if you're interested in learning more about the program.

Early Adopter

I meant possible controversy over safety concerns with letting untrained personnel enter an unsafe environment. You have to admit, if one of those guests were to get injured, the possibility of a lawsuit does exist. Trust me, I agree with you %100, it's a terrific idea and I would like to see something like this in my community.
    \

We let untrained personnel enter unsafe environments all of the time. They're called rookies. But, seriously, I would hope that any department operating such a program would properly plan the burn in a way to eliminate much of the "danger."

Make sure everyone understands the PPE they are wearing -- what it can and can't do. Make sure you have an appropriate number of firefighters involved. Make sure you have a charged back-up line. Don't get crazy with the size of your fire. Do these things and the experience can be safe and educational for those involved.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis
    \

We let untrained personnel enter unsafe environments all of the time. They're called rookies.
    ROFLOL! Ok I stand corrected. I think it's a good program, I'm going to start doing a little research and see if I can throw something together to present to our district. Does your dept have SOGs governing this? If so, can I borrow that section of your SOGs?

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Thread Information