Forum Member

Question Scott Scba - H.u.d/s.o.g

We are putting into sevice the new Scott 2.2 with HUD. We are now just training members in air-management. In saying this the (Heads Up Display) will get our members away from using the remote gage.If your departments has HUD on paks do you have an SOG or protocol for exiting the building. I know they will put them on the trucks and not train members or have a protocol for air managemnet.

Forum Member

We have the new HUD display on our scott masks now and I don't find anything special about them. When I want to check my air level I still just go to look at the remote gauge, its not a real problem or loss of time. Also I have heard some complaints about the new HUD display. Some guys seem to think that when they are in a blacked out/ zero visibility situation that the lights on the Display create a glare in the mask limiting their ability to see the glow of the fire for example! I have not noticed that but I could take it or leave it! Its just another thing to break!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefiftyfive
    We have the new HUD display on our scott masks now and I don't find anything special about them. When I want to check my air level I still just go to look at the remote gauge, its not a real problem or loss of time. Also I have heard some complaints about the new HUD display. Some guys seem to think that when they are in a blacked out/ zero visibility situation that the lights on the Display create a glare in the mask limiting their ability to see the glow of the fire for example! I have not noticed that but I could take it or leave it! Its just another thing to break!
    Same here, we have the HUD's and I always go to the gauge..in more than one occurence the HUD does not match the gauge or tank. JAFA62, make sure that it is stressed the HUD is only a reminder, and to pay attention to the gauge on the harness.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    Same here, we have the HUD's and I always go to the gauge..in more than one occurence the HUD does not match the gauge or tank. JAFA62, make sure that it is stressed the HUD is only a reminder, and to pay attention to the gauge on the harness.
    REALLY, I never noticed a difference from the remote gauge to the HUD. THANKS for that bit of info. Being the johnny F*&%$ in the company it is always my job to make sure the rig is ready to go and I never knew/noticed that there was a difference between the two! I just check the remote gauge. Maybe this is something that Scott should look into??!

Forum Member

What we found out about the HUD is that in the dark, smoke...it creates a halo effect that sort of dissorients you. Out of the 62 members in the house....not one of us likes the HUD.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

A few of our new masks have the HUD. I don't really feel one way or the other, but I'll simply take the vibrate\bell over the bell\HUD, personally. The HUD doesn't seem very accurate in our rather limited experience. Last time we used one, the HUD displayed half air on a new tank.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefiftyfive
    REALLY, I never noticed a difference from the remote gauge to the HUD. THANKS for that bit of info. Being the johnny F*&%$ in the company it is always my job to make sure the rig is ready to go and I never knew/noticed that there was a difference between the two! I just check the remote gauge. Maybe this is something that Scott should look into??!
    From what I can gather, it's a pack specific thing, I've only seen it in two of the 10 NXG2's we have, and it does not happen on a consistent basis.

VinnieB, I feel for ya brother..in bright sunlight, you can't see the HUD, and in the dark it's too bright.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

we have no SOG about it ........I would ALWAYS trust the remote gage before the HUD.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default watch your batteries too

We've had them for about a year now on 4.5's. Never noticed the disparity btw. guage and hud, but the halo effect is apparent although not a biggie. There is a little red LED to the right that is a low battery indicator many of our guys had no idea what that meant. There two sets of batteries in the unit one for the HUD and one for the PASS. Probably best to replace every 6 months or during 1/4 ly SCBA shakedowns. That might be a good maint. SOG.

Thread Information