Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default I just did an inspection - NFPA help

I'm looking for the NFPA standard (if any) on ease of access to a manual fire alarm pull boxes. I did an inspection and found one buried under a load of crap.

Iíve been searching all over for it, anyone know which code it could be?

Also, while I'm at it- anyone know the guidelines for signage over a portable extinguisher? I checked NFPA 10. Either I'm blind or it's not there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Arrow

NFPA 72 deals with alarm systems, though I know that in NFPA 101 it specifically requires manual pull devices in many cases, and I'm sure in the mandatory references is must say they cannot be blocked. Oh yeah here it is: NFPA 101 - 9.6.2.6 "Each manual fire alarm box on a system shall be acessible, unobstrucuteed, and visible."

Quote Originally Posted by ffexpCP
    I'm looking for the NFPA standard (if any) on ease of access to a manual fire alarm pull boxes. I did an inspection and found one buried under a load of crap.

Also, while I'm at it- anyone know the guidelines for signage over a portable extinguisher? I checked NFPA 10. Either I'm blind or it's not there.
    You don't need NFPA regs and standards to tell them to clear the crap away from the pull station or to place signage over the location of the extinguishers.

Write them up and set a date for reinspection of the premesis.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

The heck with NFPA. Check your local codes and ordinances. Those will have more power than NFPA. If you go into a business and say that's not NFPA compliant the next question will be "What is NFPA?" and "What law did I violate?" If your local codes and ordinances defer to NFPA standards, fine. They might be state fire codes that need to be followed, which also might defer to NFPA standards.

You can only "get" someone when they break the law. And last time I checked NFPA standards were not law.

I'd get with your local people who handle code enforcement or state fire marshalls office. Proceding with every NFPA book in your hand will do nothing for you if there is no law requiring the activity. Kinda like it is still against local ordinance here in Lexington, KY to walk around with an ice cream cone in your pocket.

My two cents that I hope will keep you out of trouble.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffexpCP

Our inspections are conducted using a check list. Each item in the check list refrences the law(s) which it is meant to enforce. The sheets are in triplicate so our station, the company inspected, and the city get a copy. Maybe your department has something like that to refrence or might want to look into doing in the future?

Drew

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5
    You can only "get" someone when they break the law. And last time I checked NFPA standards were not law.
    In some cases it is... if the locals have adopted it as the Standard/Law/etc
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

AHJ, just tell them to move it.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

I should have clarified- I did the inspection as a public safety officer working at my university. I can guarantee if I cannot back it up by OSHA, NFPA, ANSI or whatever else, all the inspection reports will be circular filled. I've been kicking and screaming to get stuff fixed, but it's hard getting the higher-ups to listen (especially as a student). Any ammo that I can get will help.

The city requires NFPA; however they will not set foot on campus property. I talked to the inspector and he has not visited campus since a fire in one of the dorms. He was trying to figure out why there were NO smoke alarms in the entire building. His reply came in the form of a letter from the state telling him to 'mind his own business' since city has no authority on state university land.

And last time I told someone to stop blocking something (extinguisher and exit) I was yelled at by my boss. Turns out he was the union president. I guess he's exempt.
    Last edited by ffexpCP; 04-25-2006 at 04:15 PM.

Dammit....The one time I leave my copy of the 2003 IFC at my desk at work........Try that, under section 315 which covers storage of materials, for example section 315.2.1 says materials must be stored a maximum of 18" below sprinkler heads. And section 315.2.3 covers storage of materials in mechanical/furnace/electrical rooms. (I only remember those specific ones as I often cite those specific violations.)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information