Forum Member

Default San Antonio TX FD

Does anyone have info on the hiring process for SAFD? I went to their website I know it said they would be taking applications sometime in May, does anyone know when? Also, how is the hiring process like? How many people apply? I have NPQ 1, and volunteer experience, will this help at all?

Forum Member

I know they don't have an interview process, so it probably won't help you that much. The BPAD is the only semi-interview process they have for employment. Make sure you smoke the written.

former FH.com member

Hi Mike. Keep a close eye on the website, they should be taking applications very soon. Last years test was in August so I think late summer is a good bet for this years test. The hiring process includes a written exam (which, yeah...you need to smoke it), CPAT, BPAD, Background check, Polygraph, Medical and Psych evals. It is quite a process and usually takes a year to complete. The job is WELL worth it though.
    Having previous experience will not help you get hired, but is not necessarily a bad thing. At least you have some idea of what to expect. I came into the SAFD already certified as a FF/EMT-B....doesnt matter, you will relearn everything in drill school. (just like everyone else)
    Usually about 4000 people apply and test for about 50 positions so you must be ready to compete and persevere for a job. Like I said though, it is well worth it. Good Luck!

Forum Member

Hey SAFD46Truck,

Thanks for your info on SAFD. I am going to keep checking back starting in early May, but wanted to ask, I live in Florida but I do want to relocate to Texas, anyway would it be worth it to test with 4000 people? Am asking because I wasn't sure if Texas would look at state residents before out of staters, etc.? Also, is the written the standard civil service test, such as math, mechanical aptitute, and map questions? I do have a study guide but am thinking of getting the study exams that the website recommended.
    Last edited by miked2424; 04-26-2006 at 07:37 AM.

Forum Member

I don't know of a department in TX that has a residency requirement or preference. However, be prepared to make many trips to Texas to process... could get expensive!

If you go into any test wondering if it's worth it, then you're already at a disadvantage. 50 of those 4000 people WILL get hired. Why not you? Go in prepared and positive and you'll knock it out!

Good luck!

former FH.com member

Mike it would definately be worth your time to at least take the test. Many times the applicant processing staff can combine some steps such as the CPAT and BPAD for people traveling from far. Just let them know and see if they can work with you, usually they will try to help. Now is a great time to try to get on with San Antonio, a whole generation of FF's are retiring and we just opened a new, larger academy. All the talk lately is of more/larger cadet classes. We are just flat out undermanned (with 1400+ ff's).
    Anyways, yeah it's a tough process...but compared to some other places in the country I think overall a person has a much better shot to compete fairly for a job.

-Oh yeah, usually a sample written test is included in the city website..this is just what the entrance exam will look like. Also check out the forums at www.sanantonioFIRE.org , a lot of people going through the hiring process post there.
    Last edited by SAFD46Truck; 04-26-2006 at 12:51 PM.

Thread Information