Forum Member

Default Mutual Aid/Interlocal Agreements

We're looking for examples of interlocal agreements for cities with fire departments providing fire protection for cities without fire departments.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
    www.gvfd.org

Forum Member

The department I am on now has a mutual aid agreement with all stations in our block. Our county is divided into 4 blocks, with roads that pretty much run down the middle both ways as a dividing point. there are 4 stations in our block, all of which we would provide mutual aid to. We also provide mutual aid to any of the other stations that request it.

My old department had a mutual aid/auto aid with all surrounding districts. The city bordered us to the south, and we had an auto aid agreement that if there was a call 3 miles into their district or 2 miles into ours, so if there was a call in one of these areas, both districts were called. We run auto aid with all of the other surrounding districts up to 10 miles into their territory unless they call for us to respond further in.

Note: both stations I have worked on were volunteer.

Early Adopter

In Arkansas, it's common for departments in rural settings to cover areas outside of their city limits. The department I got my start on covers up to five road miles beyond their city limits. These areas are unincorporated and do not have fire departments covering them.

Also, I've heard of municipal departments establishing a separate rural fire district for areas beyond the city limits. The same firefighters, stations and apparatus were used for both the municipal department and fire district... but by establishing the fire district, they were able to levy taxes and collect fees.

Forum Member

That is exactly what some departments that cover both a city and unincorporated rural area do as well.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Huh??............

Quote Originally Posted by ScottCook
    We're looking for examples of interlocal agreements for cities with fire departments providing fire protection for cities without fire departments.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
    Big Question is Why?? Do what we've done here, and leave the Cities totally out of it. Here, Every Fire Station, Paid or Volunteer is responsible for whatever it is the closest station to. I may live in Smithville, but if Station 5 in Jonestown is the closest station to my house, then they're first due. We also do this with County lines, and in most areas, with State lines. Political boundaries should not have any meaning whatsoever when someone needs help. There may be agreements between Counties, but within Counties everyone just does their thing. It's taken maybe fifty years to get to this point, and there are still a few problems to fix, but we're working on it.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Short answer is legalities.

Incorporated City A provides fire protection services to inorporated City B that does not provide fire protection to its citizens for various reasons. City A provides automatic aid to in the unicorporated areas of the county under a county wide contract.

The county wide contract is only for the unicorporated areas of the county and does not include the incorporated cities.

The city limits have no bearing on helping someone. The question the interlocal agreement will address is if City A's fire apparatus is damaged while on the scene in City B, who pays for the damage and things like that. Does City B have to reimburse city A for manhours? what are City A's liabilities while operating in City B...?
    Last edited by ScottCook; 04-25-2006 at 10:37 PM.
    www.gvfd.org

Thread Information