Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Background Check

Hi I have a question for you guys. I made a few mistakes in the past while driving. I have received several speeding tickets, and a DUI the summer before my senior year in high school. When looking for a job, will the automatically disqualify me? Not sure if its as big of a deal when I was a minor. Especially when I havn't gotten in any trouble whatsoever as an adult. I know they were mistakes and I shouldn't have done them in the first place, but just wondering if it makes a difference since I was a minor and wondering how much it will affect me. THanks

From what I have heard, things done before the age of 18 are not taking too seriousley to a certain extent. Yes they will look at them, but it's your job to show them your not trying to hide those mistakes and you have grown/learned from them.

I don't think it will automatically disqualify you and it shouldn't keep you from getting a badge.

Forum Member

Do you know if any those items on your record were sealed whem you turned 18? If they have then don't worry about them, but when you fill in the part on the application that asks if you have and convicted of anything yada yada yada make sure to list everything. I applied for a department and they said that if anything was left off of the app as far as criminal history that you would be disqualified, no matter what the circumstances. They would disqualify you even if it was a speeding ticket for 1 mile and hour that happened 20 years ago. Just be sure to be honest.

Forum Member

okay thanks guys. i'll just make sure i'm honest and then it hopefully wont affect much. thanks again.

If you keep your nose clean for a few years, those won't mean much. The investigator will be looking for suspicious patterns of behavior. The biggest thing that trips people up is dishonesty.

can I jump in and ask about finances? I have some ex-wife-induced stuff in collections.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

I don't think your driving record is expunged when you turn 18. The reason I say that is when I was applying for a USN scholarship, they knew about my one and only traffic violation when I was 16. The Navy conducts their own background checks on applicants. I was over the age of 18 when I applied.

As far as finances, I think they may do a credit report and that is it; but I am not sure on that.

Forum Member

for something like the fire service i'm sure that they get a hold of everything at any age. but i'm thinkin it would be more like most people on her said. they look for pattern and a few mistakes when i was still a minor shouldn't be a very big deal.

Thread Information