Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Gas prices and the volunteer fire service

Does anyone think that the rise in gas prices might effect if some memebers reponde to calls? I wonder if the eople we all protect realize that we actually pay to protect them. Just a thaught that popped in my head.
    Stay Safe and live long

MembersZone Subscriber

Default $$$

Yes, I'm Sure That It Will. I Have A Gas Sucking Hemi, And A Round Trip To The Firehouse Cost Me $3.05 As Of Today, Who Knows What It Will Cost The Next Time I Fill Up! I Think Twice On Those Fluid Spills In The Middle Of The Night.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think the gas prices will affect volunteers from reponding locally. When it comes to make those extra trips for training and such, especially if travel out of town is required, attendance will be down.

I myself often respond directly to the scene with my pov for both medicals and fires it is not so much the distance to the scene that hurts the pocket book but when I leave my vehicle running with the overhead lights on to mark the scene for the incomming responders. Because of the size of our reponce area i am sometimes ahead of the ambulance by as much as a half hour.

On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

Last year when gas broke $1 per liter here, we asked our crews to limit the times they take the trucks out 'for a drive' - we have duty crews on weekends, and they frequently go into town to pick up lunch, etc. I suspect we'll make the same recommendation now.
    --jay.

Forum Member

I am sure it will affect a lot of us. My car gets pretty decent gas mileage but i just cant seem to keep any gas in it. What makes it worse is 95% of the time I have to drive POV to the scene cause of the way the chief runs our department. Once gas gets a little higher the county is going to limit the number of trucks we run to 1 because they cant afford to keep gas in them either.

Originally posted by hsvfdsta4:

Once gas gets a little higher the county is going to limit the number of trucks we run to 1 because they cant afford to keep gas in them either.

I can hear the MUTTS now!!

"Sorry boys, you are gonna have to handle that three alarmer with one engine, gas is expensive ya know!"

You guys need to nip that kind of thinking in the bud!!!
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

For us the issue isn't so much the cost of responding to the station (~$0.56 round-trip for me), but the cost of keeping fuel in the apparatus. I can see how that'd be different for departments whose members POV to the scene. We also have a clothing allowance that tends to balance out the cost of gas/clothing..etc.

Will have no effect on us.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I don't think it'll have too much of an effect on us. We all live within a few miles of the hall and those that live further away don't respond to many so they'll keep showing up for drills. As far as affording it for the trucks, we get our gas from a local school garage at a discounted price, about 75 cents less. Not a huge difference but it can add up.
    Besides the fact I don't think the fire and ems calls will stop because of gas prices, so the people still need our help.

I don't think it will affect my department either. We are strictly fire, only EMS related calls are MVA's. We are very small rural department, only 20 members on the roster, and we only average about 140 to 160 calls a year. As of today, we are on call 38 for the year.
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

MembersZone Subscriber

Filled our squad after a MVA $80.00 One of my FFs now only responds from work, he lives about 13 miles from the station. He is self employed, and his job is only 1 mile from the station. Another VFD payed $700 to fill several trucks after a fire.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

No doubt it will, especially in a larger district like ours. Someone will defiantly think twice about rolling those 10 miles to that EMS call they may get cancelled on.

As far as the apparatus, we have already limited our non-essentail travel by our duty staff within the district.

Forum Member

Maybe this will give departments reason to switch to alternative fuels like E85 or Biodiesel.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD77
    Maybe this will give departments reason to switch to alternative fuels like E85 or Biodiesel.
    Or maybe horse and buggy. Bring on the bucket brigade!!!

I think the reasons departments won't change to the other fuels will be the same ones that we have in our personal lives. Too expensive to change-over and too few places to fuel up.

We will just have to buckle down and try to safe money where we can.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1835Wayne
    Originally posted by hsvfdsta4:

I can hear the MUTTS now!!

"Sorry boys, you are gonna have to handle that three alarmer with one engine, gas is expensive ya know!"

You guys need to nip that kind of thinking in the bud!!!
    Yeah something needs to be done, and I would do it if I had more time on the department.

There are 9 stations in the county and if we get a big one they send more than one station anyway, so we would have up to 4 engines from different stations. If its something that we need more trucks anyway, we can send more units, but they dont like. The problem here is there is only 1 hydrant within 10 miles of 2 other stations around here, so if we get a fire we roll the engine and the tanker for water. But once they but a limit on the apparatus we roll they might get ****ed cause we take 2 trucks, but they'll just have to get over it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sooooo here's an idea:

Keep track of you mileage and write it off as a donation! The simple way would be to average out your total # of calls at the end of the year. Its 2 miles to my fire house.... so 4 miles a call. Not really a lot of miles there, but when you factor in all the other firehouse business that I use my vehicle for (i.e. some banking, picking up some uniforms, etc.) it might add up for some.

Any tax guru's out there? Is this ''legit''?

Yes, you can write off your mileage. As long as you are not reimbursed for it in any way, like paid per call or a check at the end of year for reimbursement, etc. There is a rate per mile that would be used for the calculation. It's nowhere near what a gallon of gas costs though. You may also want to be sure you can factually prove it through documentation.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT
    Or maybe horse and buggy. Bring on the bucket brigade!!!

I think the reasons departments won't change to the other fuels will be the same ones that we have in our personal lives. Too expensive to change-over and too few places to fuel up.

We will just have to buckle down and try to safe money where we can.
    Biodiesel can be run on any engine that will run #2 diesel. And you can make it in the corner of the station out of spare parts, just as long as you have somebody on the department smart enough to figure out what they're doing.

Thread Information