MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Question What's Your Take On Merge Lanes?

Motorists Identify 'White-Knuckle Merges'
    News4 Viewers Suggest Worst Merge Areas

POSTED: 5:31 pm EDT April 25, 2006
    UPDATED: 5:39 am EDT April 26, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Due to an old road system and little room to build new interchanges, bad merge areas are common in the D.C. area.

At Interstate 495 and New Hampshire Avenue, cars simultaneously exit and enter the Beltway while others merge right to head north on Interstate 95, and all of this takes place in a quarter-mile stretch. News4 viewers named it one of the worst merge areas in Maryland.

In Virginia, the ramp from the 14th Street Bridge southbound to the George Washington Parkway was identified as one of the worst "white-knuckle merges."

As a spokesman for AAA Mid-Atlantic, Lon Anderson knows merge lanes and the best way to negotiate them.

"You really have to pay attention, because merging requires two things," Anderson said. "It requires your being a good driver, being conscientious, but it also requires the other drivers to work with you."

Anderson said the worst thing a driver can do when merging is to stop abruptly because it increases the likelihood of being hit from behind.

News4 viewers e-mailed many other bad merge locations. Interstate 270 at Samuel Eig Highway was frequently named by Maryland drivers. They said they think the merge lanes need to be longer.

And many Maryland drivers complained about the complete lack of any merge lane at all coming off I-495 at Georgia Avenue.

Virginia drivers singled out the Courthouse Road exit from Route 50 as one of the worst because it is a short merge with little visibility.

Copyright 2006 by nbc4.com

One place I dont like is west Rte 50, in FairOaks, as you are trying to leave 50 and join with West Ox Rd. The folks coming from West Ox are trying to enter Rte 50, at the same time and the merge lane is only about 6 cars long. There are others around here, but I travel that one most often at the moment.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I live in a part of the world where"merge"is a challenge as in"C'mon over here,boy.I'll merge with ya!"
    In the years since the last Memphis mayor change(1992)I've noticed that those signs with the numbers on the under the words"Speed Limit" are just suggestions.That's going by the reaction by the police sometimes.
    Not long after I moved to Kentucky,a rural Sheriff's Deputy explained the difference between a "speeding"ticket and a "speedin' " ticket.
    Quote he,"Speeding,son, is when you going faster than the posted limit.SPEEDIN',is when you going faster than the posted limit,and I think you up to somethin'.Now,sign here and press hard.You're makin six copies."

MembersZone Subscriber

One place I dont like is west Rte 50, in FairOaks, as you are trying to leave 50 and join with West Ox Rd. The folks coming from West Ox are trying to enter Rte 50, at the same time and the merge lane is only about 6 cars long.
    Yeah, I always have trouble there.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt
    Yeah, I always have trouble there.

There's ONE in every crowd, ain't there? LOL
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information