MembersZone Subscriber

Default Maximum age restriction?

I have recently joined the local volunteer fire department and am in the process of getting the proper training and required certifications, hoping to make a career change to a firefighter/paramedic.

Are there maximum age requirements for such positions, written or implied? I am now a young 35 years old and would hate to go through all of the schooling and training only to be turned down because of my age.

If it matters, I am in Wisconsin, but am willing to relocate for a position. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wade1439
    I have recently joined the local volunteer fire department and am in the process of getting the proper training and required certifications, hoping to make a career change to a firefighter/paramedic.

Are there maximum age requirements for such positions, written or implied? I am now a young 35 years old and would hate to go through all of the schooling and training only to be turned down because of my age.

If it matters, I am in Wisconsin, but am willing to relocate for a position. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.
    you are not too old. I have seen a department in my area hire a emt/ff at the age of 56 recently. If you want it GO GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Some departments have age limits, but most of the suburban departments do not. There is not "unwritten rule" regarding age. If you are well qualified and can perform the required tasks, theres really no reason to turn you down. I just took a physical test for one department and there was at least one older looking guy. Pretty big, but had some grey hair.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wade1439

Some states like NJ and MA have age restrictions. In NJ, it is due to pension issues. You are not generally allowed to enter the pension system after the age of 35 (with exceptions up to age 42). Pension membership and contributions are mandatory. So it is a double edged sword.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wade,
    I work for a large sosuthern California fire department. The AVERAGE age of what we hire is 29. We have had much success with the "older" candidates. While 35 is no spring chicken, it's far from being considered over the hill. I would not even be concerned about the age at 35, 38 or 39 is getting up there. The oldest person my department has hired is 42 (we hired two of what we consider to be senior citizens). For the record they can dance circles around the "kids."

I would encourage you to get your education, continue to volunteer, complete an EMT course and learn how to take a FIRE DEPARTMENT interview.

Lastly, I don't know of any California dpartments with age requirements.

Good luck and continue to pursue your dreams.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you everyone for the advice and encouragement. It is much appreciated.

"learn how to take a FIRE DEPARTMENT interview." -Paul Lepore, can I ask what exactly you mean by this?

Forum Member

In vermont no age restrictions...other then must be 18, and once you are 65, have to become a dispatcher or downgrade to 12 on 36 off not 24 on 48 off

MembersZone Subscriber

Wade,
    Every interview you have ever taken, or will take in the future you will try to convince the panel with your qualifications that you are the most QUALIFIED for the position.

A fire department interivew is much different. I would much rather hire someone with much less qualifications than someone who has everycertification known to man kind but will not get along with my firefighters.

The fire service is all about having heart and being able to get along in the fire house. How many professional athletes do you know who are phenominal players, but don't get along? A few that come to mind Terrel Owens has bounced from team to team, Barry Bonds doesn't travel with the team. Imagine what they do to the chemistry of the team. Imagine how this would go over in the firehouse.

We spend all of the time trying to determine if you are a Terrel Owens/Barry Bonds or one of the few "good guys" in sports who we want to represent our fire department.

I am going to ask very specific questions to find out where you fit in the big picture, how you view the role of a probationary firefighter and how you would fit into my firehouse.

I have compiled a Free list of the most commonly asked fire department questions. You would be wise to become familiar with them.

http://www.aspiringfirefighters.com/samples.html

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

Illinois makes it a point to discriminate where age is concerned, in my opinion.
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

Forum Member

Anyone have any insight as to why Texas generally has an age topper at 36? Austin, Dallas, Houston, and FW all have age restrictions though IIRC last go round El Paso did not. Not sure about San Antone.

Thread Information