MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anything but burn it down

We just aquired a two story, old farm house that is at our disposal. we can do anything to it but burn it down. we have it for a month, so we can do alot. we want to take full advantage of this training aid, so we were looking for a few ideas on drills to do. well do the basics ; vent, S/R, FE, RIT, denver drill. anything beyond that? we have hit a wall on ideas.

like i said anything goes, except burning it down
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

Forcible Entry training would also be a good idea.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

vent, S/R, FE, RIT, denver drill
    Always get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see departments doing the Denver Drill

Forum Member

Default Ideas

You can do some breaching of walls and cielings. You could do some ladder drills with roof venting. Hos about a little practice bailing out the 2nd story window also. Just be sure you have something good to ancor too. Have fun do everthing you could have to do at a real fire.
    Stay Safe and live long

MembersZone Subscriber

Make sure the building is secure when you leave it each night. You want to avoid anyone helong you out by burning it down for you.

Forum Member

Rig the rooms up with obstacle like junk (anything) and ropes (to simulate wires) and BAM!, you've got a very realiststic smoke maze. you could even cut holes in the walls and have the participant have to go through them while in the maze. if you don't have a smoke machine you could just make them turn their hoods around backwards.

The possibilities are endless. You guys are lucky to get this oppertunity.
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Make sure the building is secure when you leave it each night. You want to avoid anyone helong you out by burning it down for you.
    Yes! A while back we had a good size vacant building to perform hose drills in. After a few hours of drills our crews left. Two hours later there is a report of a structure fire in the same building. Our crews arrived to find it well involved and the building was a total loss. I think someone saw our crews drilling and decided to give us some additional training.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I think someone saw our crews drilling and decided to give us some additional training.
    What's your guess George?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt
    You never know... There could be that one in a gazillion chance that there was an unexplained spontaneous combustion of dried out rat droppings precisely after we left the building.

But seriously, back to the original topic... George had a very good suggestion of securing the building, because it does happen.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Mask confidence. When we had a building to train with we had a few mask confidence obstacles. One was a tube you could go through without your BA, the drill was to remove your airpack, leaving the facepiece intact, and then feet first and pulling the pack or face first pushing the pack. Another was wall breach, again intact facepiece, slide pack off one shoulder and go sideways through a 16" space between studs. This was taught as self rescue. It showed the crews that most of us could breach a wall and go through to the next room without compromising air supply.

Another thought. Pull the tools and appliances off the truck you rarely use. How about the piercing nozzle, when was the last time you drove that through cinder block or a floor.

MembersZone Subscriber

We had a house like this at the fire academy I attended a few months ago for my FF I&II. We could do anything but burn it. We hooked up a industrial fog machine at each end of the house and did Hose line advancing drills, search and rescue, RIT, ladders, ventilation, overhall (pulled sealings), forcible entry, and breached walls. One drill we did that I remember the most was a really good traning exercise I will never forget. In the very back bedroom there was a closet that was directly behind the door to the room. The instructors hid the dummy in the closet and left the door to the room open. Out of every company that did a primary and secondary search of the house with the fog NONE of us found the dummy because we didnt think to check behind the door. The doors were set up like an L with the bottom the main door and the left was the closet. We also did 4 hours of the denver drill and I really learned a lot from that as well. Here are a few pics from the house we had...

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt
    Exactly.....

Forum Member

So what are they going to do with this house when you are done training in it? Sell it as a "fixer-uper" ?

Thread Information