Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Chief....

Default My Chief....

FDNY Chief Says Incident Command Belongs to Fire Departments
    FDIC Speaker Chief Hayden Battles Police for Control
    LON SLEPICKA
    Firehouse.Com News

Who, or which agency has incident command in events involving terrorist activities? It's a debate, perhaps even a down right fight, going on in such places as New York City where cops and firefighters annually beat each other up in hockey and football games.

Peter Hayden, Chief of Department, FDNY, speaking at the annual Fire Department Instructors Conference (FDIC) now going on in Indianapolis, brought his tale to the audience of opening ceremonies Wednesday.

His argument that fire departments are the logical command group in all such incidents got him to the point where the New York Times suggested he "had fallen on his sword in a City Council hearing", when he "said that that the city's new emergency protocol signed by Mayor Bloomberg a month earlier was unsafe for residents and firefighters alike." The Mayor's plan had given command to the police department.

The logic Hayden outlined came from his experience September 11, 2001 when at the World Trade Center he experienced the command problems, co-ordination problems, failure to share information.

In March of 2002 Hayden went to work on the McKinsey Report to develop recommendations for change to enhance the FDNY's preparedness for terrorism acts. "I was determined this was not going to happen again, the lack of communications, the lack of information sharing."

The report focus soon came to highlight issues with incident command and how to strengthen it. And a development from this was to deploy a system for the whole city. It was a system where all the agencies would know there responsibilities and work together in managing the situation. "What happened in 9-11, as the crisis got worse, agencies, groups and individuals tended to focus on what was most important to them. There was no sharing of information, it became vertical stovepiping."

Hayden said the fire department was the only one doing incident command and they were the logical ones to handle an agency wide system. But the police department said there was no need for it in the city. Or if there was an incident, with 40,000 police officers they certainly would be able to take control.

This then is Hayden's logic. They looked at their core competencies, the things the fire department does every day. Fires, EMS, HazMat, building collapse, search and rescue, mass causalities. These are the things they are trained to do and committed to do.

Homeland Security came along and said New York City needs a National Incident Management System. So a report went to the city council, listing all the core competencies of the fire department and the logic of the incident command coming from the department. The responsibility of life safety has always belonged to the fire department.

But in the final document adopted by the mayor and city council, incident command was given to the police department. The fire department would be relegated to operations only.

"If it was a terrorist attack, as was 9-11, there was a fire, there was an explosion, there was a HazMat incident, the jet fuel, there was a building collapse, there were search and rescue and mass causalities. Every one of those elements are the core competencies of the fire service, not the police department. This is what we do. Why are we not incident command?"

Hayden went public with his complaint. "I said the way this document was constructed, this was a recipe for disaster," he said. "I needed to speak out because the emergency action plan and the CIMS, the way it was constructed, was doomed to fail. That there were no lessons learned from 9-11. That the way the document was written, we would have a repeat of 9-11."

That was Hayden falling on his sword. "I knew when I testified, nothing was really going to change. But I did stand up for the department."

"The chief of the department of FDNY is to represent his department. As chiefs in every department, that's your job. And the needs and the best interests of the department are not always the same interest of the city administration. That is why you need to speak out. I am glad I did what I did. I will always speak out for the safety of firefighters everywhere."

The New York Times noted. "the chief of department will no longer be a Civil Service position requiring a test. Instead, it will be a political appointment of the fire commissioner, himself a political appointee."
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Its finaly good to see a large department cheif starting to speak out for his men.......and not for the politicians !

Well done !
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

Forum Member

I'm glad we don't have the disconnect between fire & police out here. There are always going to be some issues between agencies but nothing like the turf wars FDNY and NYPD seem to have. In California you practically have to force PD to take command, even though many of the laws give the agency with investigation authority command they are usually very happy to let fire take the IC and they work as a group supervisor or deputy IC. That might have something to with the fact that the command agency usually pays the bills.

I can see NYPDs side, terrorist acts are crime scenes, but the FD is also right, the resulting damage is usually their area of expertise. There is a term in ICS that they seem to be overlooking UNIFIED COMMAND.

Of course one more political appointee won't hurt the FD's performance, just ask FEMA about how well having the top guys appointed by polititians works for them.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is most likely the last time we will see the FDNY COD actually stand up for what is right. From now on he is to be a poltitical hack with no loyalties to anyone other than the Mayor himself..not the men, not the taxpaying citizens. Bring on the Coruption and lack of accountablity!

FTM-PTB

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

I believe this is what FFFRED is referring to
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you have a picture where the Mayor...errr... I mean the Puppet Master has his hand up the puppets dirt chute?

FTM-PTB

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

No. But I'm sure you know someone who is VERY creative with PhotoShop
    Last edited by NYSmokey; 04-26-2006 at 11:43 PM.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Thumbs up

When you're the Boss you have to pick your battles. Bravo to Chief Hayden for picking this one.
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

Thread Information