Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Do you work less than a 24 hour shift?

I was curious how many people here still work 24 hour shifts? If you work less than that, is it something you've always done or did you start doing it recently? One of the problems we're running into is that our fire/medics work 24 hours on and 48 hours off. Our EMS run volume is such that our ambulance personnel often don't get any sleep during their 24 hour shift. Whenever we've talked about going to 8's or 12's, people complain about the shift benefits we'd lose. I know that personally, I'd have trouble adjusting to a 12 or 8 hour shift, but I think the benefits as far as my health and mental well being would far outweigh what I'd be losing. I suppose we could keep a 24 hour shift for the truck and engine guys, and simply move the EMS guys to shorter shifts, but that seems like it would create a scheduling headache (especially considering that we cross staff). How does everyone else handle problems like this?

Locally the FD works 12 hour shifts on a 2, 3, 2, 3 schedule.
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

The City of Philadelphia works 2 days (8a-6p) and 2 nights (6p-8a) then has 4 days off. Most of the Philly guys that I know love it, and all of them have a second job.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Over in Ireland its a 3 on 3 off system works great

Day, Day, Nigth

3 0ff

Day, Nigth, Nigth

Days are 9am-6pm
    Nigths are 6pm-9am
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

My service works 12 hour shifts for ALS and BLS providers. our full time people either work days or nights, on a 2 on 2 off 2 on 3 off 1 on 2 off 2 on (I think that's how it goes). basicly, 2 on 2 off with an added day off every 2 weeks.

24s are technically not permitted, and the max you can work at one time is 18 hours (or so the rules say). We also allow half shifts (6 hours) for part timers who can only work part of the shift.

I guess you can say we are pretty busy. I was on the BLS truck in the city, and we had an minor MCI MVC, a resp. arrest, two diff breathing calls, a non-traumatic back pain, a seizure call where we were cancelled before we left the station, and as I was leaving, we got a call to respond to pick up a drunk who was with PD. and that was on the first half of a wednesday night.

If you are a slower service, then 24s shouldn't be a problem. but if your running back to back to back jobs on a regular basis, shorter shifts (my preference would be 12s) would be the way to go. because I would hate to be the patient of the medic, who is on hour 22 (and has been up for probably longer), as he's trying to tube me and treat me for a major illness or injury.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    The City of Philadelphia works 2 days (8a-6p) and 2 nights (6p-8a) then has 4 days off. Most of the Philly guys that I know love it, and all of them have a second job.
    When they work that night shift, 6p-8a, are they allowed to sleep? That wouldn't be a bad schedule if you could catch some sleep at night.

MembersZone Subscriber SIGNAL99COM's Avatar

The City of Syracuse (NY) works a 4 on / 4 off schedule.

Day 1: 7AM-4PM
    Day 2: 7AM-4PM
    Day 3: 4PM-7AM
    Day 4: 4PM-7AM
    Day: Off
    Repeat

The department is divided into 4 platoons. A, B, C, and D.
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Forum Member

Here's ours: we have 4 groups (platoons) like our neighbor Syracuse.

3 days (10 hours, 8a-6p, officially)
    2 days off
    3 nights (14 hours 6p-8a)
    4 days off
    repeat

today is my last day in, so I will have friday and saturday off, come in sunday, monday and tuesday night, then I'm off until next sunday morning.

The books say relief at 8 and 6, but in reality it's more like 7 and 4.

A local suburban department has a similar schedule, but changed the rotation from 3-2-3-4 to 3-3-3-3

It's a decent enough schedule. Some people have been advocating 24-72, but it doesn't seem like it is going to happen soon.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

Forum Member

Cleveland, OK

We work 12 hour shifts.

2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off

resulting in 2 three day weekends twice a month, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We have six full time guys rotaing 3 months on night shift and 6 months on days. I like the way it works

MembersZone Subscriber

Simple schedule here. M-F 0800-1600, no holidays

8's are not too bad. Easy to be able to tell anyone when you're working without having to look at a shift calendar.

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Generally up until last year all of the Full time career members of the UK from Firefighter to Station Officer (Capt) worked the 2,2,4 system.... 2 days from 0900 til 1800 followed by 2 nights from 1800 til 0900 then 4 days off...i.e Mon= day, Tue= day, Wed= night, Thur=night Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon off duty back on Tuesday.

Several Brigades have now changed are are working similar shifts but with complicated leave groups and certain call back days. Others such as London are looking to stay at 2,2,4 but change to equal 12 hour day & nioght shifts.

All ranks above this (Chiefs) work the poxy Flexible Duty system... Generally a 72 hour week. Working most days with rotating 24 shifts. Good for me becuase I live within the City Limits of London so at 23:00 I am sitting here at home on call. If I lived outside of London I'd find myself doing the whole 72 hours away from home.

This week my shift was Tue, & Wed 0800 til 1700 then Thurs Fri 24's... I am on call from 0800 Thursday until 0800 Saturday Morning. Like I said, all good for me as I do my *Stand-down hours at home.

*On a 24 shift a Chief has to do 0800 - 1700 as Managerial or 'positive' hours in the office and from 1700 onwards are Stand-Down where I am only required to attend calls.
    Last edited by SteveDude; 04-28-2006 at 06:16 PM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    Ditto here. I think we are one of the few Departments still working 10's and 14's!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Some Guy

We still work 10's and 14's!

oh yeah, we work the day, day, night, night 4 days off. LOVE IT
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigmurr
    Cleveland, OK

We work 12 hour shifts.

2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off

resulting in 2 three day weekends twice a month, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We have six full time guys rotaing 3 months on night shift and 6 months on days. I like the way it works
    We do the same here except that we work strictly days - 0600-1800
    2 Full time Guys {me and my partener} and two part time guys from 0800-1600 Monday through Friday supplimented with any available volunteers.

The Part Time Staff comes in at 6pm and works until 6am supplimented with whatever volunteers are around.

I love the guarantee of every other weekend off.

Forum Member

24 hours on, 24 off for 5 days then 96 hours off

We're the same as Philly here,

10-10(days 08:00 - 18:00)-14-14 (nights 18:00 - 08:00) then 4 days off. ROCKS!!!!!

Forum Member

I was going to add to this thread but it looks like my brother has already put our shifts in.
    Last edited by clevelandfire; 04-30-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Default 7 on, 7 off here...

I'm one of only two full time people on a combo department. Me and the other full time person alternate 7 days on, 7 days off.

My work week starts on Thursday and I work a 10 hour day from 0600-1600. Friday, Saturday, Sunday I work 16 hour shifts from 0600-2200. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I'm back to 10 hour days, 0600-1600. It works out so that I've got 44 hours on one week, 42 on the next. All other hours are covered by volunteers.

Works out to be every other weekend. Seven days on, then seven days off has so far been really good to me and allows me to work other jobs and continue with school.

Brad

Thread Information