Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What is CPAT day like?

I have a CPAT test for a semi big city, with about 500 plus or more applicants probably testing. The test is a written on Monday and the CPAT on Tuesday type of deal, but since this is my first time, how are all the CPAT tests conducted with that many people? Does everyone stand and wait for their turn? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but this is my first CPAT and am pretty nervous. I didn't get to make it to any of the practice sessions due to my strict work schedule but am in decent shape and have been preparing, more then I should have though. I am familiar with all of the stations and the time limit, but was wondering how the test itself was conducted with a lot of people on the actual test day, with a test time starting at 8 am?

R.I.P K.Apuzzio 4/11/06 Fargo2722's Avatar

Good question. I recently too the IAFF CPAT for Fairfax County, VA. They had us scheduled for certain time blocks but it ended up running a few hours behind. For Fairfax they had use check in and then just put us through the course in the order we checked in. They had a few people on the course at any given time so you don't have to wait until the person in front of you finishes. If you're not sure what time you're going to step off I would bring a bottle of water and perhaps some type of energy bar incase you start to get hungry. Obviously be careful eating anything too close to your start time but when i arrived to find i had a two hour wait i was wishing i had something to tide me over. I would also bring a book or magazine. The worst part of the whole process for me that morning was sitting there waiting to get going in a room with 25 other people with nothing to do but get more nervous.
    As far as the test. The stairs are the worst part of it. Stay steady, don't count your steps just go to a happy place and hopefully it'll be over quick; and once you're out of the stairs don't blow out just maintain an even steady and strong pace. This will give you ample time to complete the events without blowing out. Good luck to you.

Forum Member

Seriously? Ok:
    1/4 of the people are capable of showing up in street clothes after being out all night boozing, and easily pass the test, without breaking a sweat.
    1/4 of the people fail it, no matter how hard they try.
    1/4 of the people take supplements, train for a year, wear snazzy outfits, and pass it.
    1/4 of the people take supplements, train for a year, wear snazzy training outfits, and fail it.
    So, some people are not able to pass the test, irregardless of how hard they try.
    With the limited difficulty of the CPAT, this group is usually small.
    Most people of average stature and ability, with a moderate level of fitness, will find the test easy.
    Which group are you?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default People need to train...

Some people have a desk job for 8 years before they have the opportunity to change their career. And yes, they may need a year to get in shape after that.

I think it distasteful that anyone (especially a male) would be on this board with a name (be it mispelled or not) that means pain in the abdomin associated with pre-menstral syndrome. Why would anyone even consider such a thing?

Please allow this board to remain positive and encouraging. In the bigger picture, people do not know everything about everything, and picking up pieces of knowledge from people who know other things is not only open minded but a great movement in the same direction. It's called unity of purpose.

I hope this finds you all well, and staying strong and injury free.

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 05-21-2006 at 06:25 PM.

Do you mean Mittelschmerz? I dont really see how it related to mitllesmertz1 username and if it is then thats just uh interesting for that person...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Yes...

A while back, I mentioned that he must not know what it meant, and he actually gave me a definition at that point... as if I wouldn't know what it meant... and yes... it's very interesting. Yes, you have spelled it right... but you knew that.
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 05-17-2006 at 01:54 AM.

Forum Member

Up until now I have never heard that word before.And even after looking it up I still don't think I can pronounce it right.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pronunciation

It's pronounced like meat + ul + schmerts

Forum Member

Default Cpat

Some agencies try to accomodate candidates from out of town with if you pass the written you take the agility the next day. With large numbers they usually assign times to show up.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Tam
    Forum Member

I JUST got home from the CPAT... they schedualed everyone at mine in alphabetical order by last name (I had to go first...). One person would start and get to about the ladder station when they'd start the next guy on the stairs. So they pumped through guys pretty quick

Thread Information