Forum Member

Default I'm sorry, but a 4 car, 7 patients, with 2 trapped MVC is not MINOR!!!

So I'm working EMS last night, and we get dispatched mutual aid into the next town over for a "minor head-on collision" on xyz road. now, I'm familiar with this road, and if there is any type of head-on collision, it's probably serious. so me and my partner climb into the ambulance, and start heading down there. during the response, we hypothesize how a head-on collision can be minor, and the only thing we can think of is someone was pulling out of their driveway and got hit. I also jokingly tell my partner that it would be real funny if they were cutting the patient out of the car when we arrived.

and as we pull up to the scene, we both notice that FD is on scene, and the rescue company is pulling tools. we ask the first cop what is going on, he directs us to go to the other side of the scene, as that is where the most serious patient is located, but he also has one person next to him who is injured as well and wants to get "checked out." So I park the ambulance, I look at his patient, my partner goes onto the other side and checks out the supposed critcal one, and we meet back to assess both patients that are currently being extricated from the SUV. oh yeah, and we are the only EMS providers on scene, but we got a dozen or so firefighters who just want to help out

so as time goes on, 3 additional ambulances show up, one lady changes from a "I want to go get checked out "to "I don't want to go to the hospital", our "serious patient" who had shoulder pain went to be evaluated, another ambulance obtains 3 refusals, and my truck takes the two that FD extricated, who had minor injuries.

not bad for a minor head on collision, right?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Sounds like another day in the Park. But I agree with you on your initial thoughts: not many head-on's are "minor".
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Oh yea. I've long since learned that an MVA dispatched as "Minor" will probably be an MCI upon arrival.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

That's whay I never use the word "minor" in a dispatch. lol Of course the info I give is only as good as I get.

Forum Member

on the other side of the coin the one dispatched as "caller says it looks bad" or "cars all over the road" turns out to be a single car vs. deer or some other BS.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Oh yea. I've long since learned that an MVA dispatched as "Minor" will probably be an MCI upon arrival.
    Or one that will require the minimum of a door removal. unless the speed was less than 5 mph, a head on is NEVER minor. I know it's not the dispatchers fault...but seriously..some people just don't know when to use their heads.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

I agree - A head on is never minor, but form the injuries you indicated, the dispatcher could have gotten mixed up with 'minor' collision and minor injuries. I've been on calls thinking we have 10 PI's and it only be 2 people involved and the rest are just bystanders. I've been to calls thinking there were serious injuries (ex: caller advises there are people lying all over the road) and it ends up being 3 patients ambulatory. It's aggrevating, but it happens.
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by FFTrainer
    on the other side of the coin the one dispatched as "caller says it looks bad" or "cars all over the road" turns out to be a single car vs. deer or some other BS.
    We had this call last weekend actually. Came in as a doctor reporting a "major accident." As it turned out, it was a 2 car fender-bender, all parties involved signed off or were transported to be checked out with no signs of injury, everyone exited the vehicles on their own, and there wasnt even a doctor on scene! You just never know...
    My opinions are my own and do not, in any way, reflect those of any agency to which I am affiliated...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HolleyFF241
    and there wasnt even a doctor on scene! You just never know...
    I love it when MD's show up on scene, when you are working with a Paramedic EMS service and they go, hey..anything I can do? My usual response is... "got a mobile OR, CT and X-Ray? If not...keep moving"
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Uh Huh..............

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    I love it when MD's show up on scene, when you are working with a Paramedic EMS service and they go, hey..anything I can do? My usual response is... "got a mobile OR, CT and X-Ray? If not...keep moving"
    My usual response to the "Doctor" or the "Trauma Nurse" is something like "You got your Hospital ID?" They either disappear quick or become an important resource............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    My usual response to the "Doctor" or the "Trauma Nurse" is something like "You got your Hospital ID?" They either disappear quick or become an important resource............

Two of the last three "majors" that I attended with Malahat FD were of a similar result. We had more off duty EMTs, nurses and a Dr on at least one of them than you could shake a stick at. Nearly all of them were a great help, on both scenes. But like the good Chief says, sometimes......
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

besides the number of patients sounds realtively minor to me.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I ran up on a wreck with vehicle upside down while in my POV. Person comes running up and says he is a doctor and patient has severe bleeding. I started toward the car and he restated there was massive bleeding. I relayed this info to dispatch. When I got to the car the two people had no bleeding. They were intoxicated and enjoying their time hanging upside down in their seatbelts. The medics pullup about that time. The good doctor was nowhere to be found. His massive bleeding was transmission fluid running out of the car. Made me feel like a fool. Lesson learned, no proof and I don't know you I will be very careful about what is said.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Or, if you are on scene and report something as "minor," dispatch takes it to mean...well I'm not sure what they take it to mean...

One day I was getting in the car in the parking lot of McDonald's...I had just had lunch with my grandma and hear "CRASH!" I hate that sound...but anyway, traffic was pretty tight so no one was traveling very fast but a car ran a red light and t-boned another car in the driver's side door. I grab my radio, do a quick look for hazards and run over there, make sure everyone is okay (they were), and then get on the radio...

"Lt. 11 to Fire-Rescue"

"Go ahead"

"I'm on the scene of a minor vehicle accident at the interstection of ABC Ave. and DEF St. I need City Police at this location for traffic control."

"Received Lt. 11."-----silence----"Fire-Rescue to Lt. 11"

"Go ahead Fire-Rescue"

"Do you have injuries or entrapment?"

"Negative Fire-Rescue. NEGATIVE injuries, NEGATIVE entrapment. MINOR vehicle damage."

"Received. Do you need fire or EMS?"

"NEGATIVE. I need CITY POLICE."

"Do you need a wrecker?"

"NEGATIVE. MINOR DAMAGE"
    What does minor mean? Apparently no one knows... I try not to use subjective descriptors like that in my size-ups anymore.
    Last edited by Co11FireGal; 04-29-2006 at 02:26 AM.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

dazed and confused

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    I concur with the above.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

if you tell me I ma going to a minor MVA around here that means no one has been reported to be critical, key word REPORTED. What you find when you get there can be different.
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sounds familiar...

Had two rescue calls yesterday. One a two car MVA with one t-boned by the other. One of the cars rolled three times, but we got two refusals and not even a bruise on either. The second was a single car rollover on the interstate. Vehicle was on fire and the driver had to be pulled out real quick. He ended up with a broke leg and some burns and was winged out since it was a good ways from the hospital. Just goes to show you that the call could go either way so you'd better be ready to work.

Forum Member

i was involved in an ambulance mva when i worked for a private service i was on a long distance transfer with me as a basic and an icu nurse to monitor some special equiment on the transfer. we t-boned a man and women in a pos geo metro on a 4 lane intersection women signed off and man was a major trauma. immediatley after i stepped out of the bus" the nurse stayed with pt care in my bus" i had a ff,emt and doctor on scene. the doc was wanting to start ivs on the man who was unresponsive but breathing with equipment off my rig. i said to him are u gonna ride in to the er with this pt and he said well no so i said we will have to wait on the responding local ems crews then and he said well im a docotor and i said i dont care. he didnt like that very much.

Forum Member

Thats why I quite paying attention to most dispatch information years ago. A couple thousand times finding a scene that has little or nothing to do with the information received enrout will do that.

So unless they say something that sounds like a haz-mat or somebody may have a gun, I dont really pay any attention to anything dispatch says. Give me the address and tac channel and Ill figure it out when I get there. Its not thier fault, its the people who call.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    well, duhh!!!! had there been fewer people injured, if FD had not on scene putting tools to the car, and fewer vehicles had been involved in the crash, then I would agree, it was a relatively minor crash.

however, that was not the case.

btw, multiple PD units, one VFD engine company, and a second VFD rescue company were already on scene before we arrived, it would have been nice to recieve an update from the on scene emergency personnel
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite
    well, duhh!!!! had there been fewer people injured, if FD had not on scene putting tools to the car, and fewer vehicles had been involved in the crash, then I would agree, it was a relatively minor crash.

btw, multiple PD units, one VFD engine company, and a second VFD rescue company were already on scene before we arrived, it would have been nice to recieve an update from the on scene emergency personnel
    so are you saying command sucked ? dispatch didnt give you the info after they got it ? or you just werent prepared for what you had ?>
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

So I'm working EMS last night, and we get dispatched mutual aid into the next town over for a "minor head-on collision" on xyz road.

so as time goes on, 3 additional ambulances show up, one lady changes from a "I want to go get checked out "to "I don't want to go to the hospital", our "serious patient" who had shoulder pain went to be evaluated, another ambulance obtains 3 refusals, and my truck takes the two that FD extricated, who had minor injuries.

Did I miss something? All the patients you described had minor injuries.
    Where was the serious one?
    Why wasn't this a minor mva?

Forum Member

here is what he says to me mittle ..............thats what I am wodering too
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

It wasn't the nature of injuries, but rather the 7 patients with one ambulance on scene. that and the fact that dispatch never updated us on what we had.
    Last edited by DrParasite; 04-30-2006 at 02:52 PM.

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information