Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Senate Panel Wishes to Terminate FEMA

http://www.news4jax.com/news/9027741/detail.html

WASHINGTON -- With the start of the hurricane season about five weeks away, a bipartisan Senate panel is saying the Federal Emergency Management Agency should be closed down and replaced by a new agency.

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said a proposed government agency to replace FEMA would be "better equipped with the tools to prepare for and respond to a disaster."

The idea is part of a bipartisan Senate report due for release on Thursday on the government's failure to respond to emergencies like Hurricane Katrina.

The report scheduled for release Thursday concludes that FEMA should be rebuilt into a more efficient, well-funded replacement.

The bipartisan report's recommendations obtained by The Associated Press call for another overhaul of the Homeland Security Department, FEMA's parent agency.

Former FEMA director Michael Brown says that's just an attempt at "re-creating the wheel."

Here are some of the panel's recommendations.

Abolish the Federal Emergency Management Agency and create a National Preparedness and Response Authority to oversee domestic disaster preparedness training and coordinate government disaster response.
    Refine and clarify federal departmental responsibilities outlined in the National Response Plan and provide staff training and drills to carry out the duties.
    Direct all federal agencies to develop plans, with state and local authorities, for rescue and relief of poor, sick and elderly disaster victims. Coordinate with the Red Cross and other non-governmental agencies to do the same.
    Coordinate better among all levels of government.
    Provide communications equipment that would allow emergency responders from all levels of government to talk to each other.
    Ensure evacuation plans are up to date and adequate.
    Provide more money for disaster planning and response at all levels of government.
    Develop aggressive procurement plans, based on past disasters, for awarding federal contracts to prevent waste and abuse.
    Clarify local, state and federal responsibilities for levee maintenance and operations and revise state emergency plans and training for levee board members and staff.
    Expand the Defense Department's disaster response role to include staffing a full-time relief coordinator in regional offices nationwide.

In a separate report, congressional investigators said FEMA will likely waste millions of relief dollars again unless it moves fast to set up new fraud prevention systems.

The Government Accountability Office said disaster responders aren't "close to where they need to be."

The GAO's Gregory Kutz said FEMA needs to set up ways to check names and addresses of aid recipients -- a process he said could take years. There's just not enough time for the "heavy lifting" needed to effectively prevent fraud by this summer, Kutz said.

But FEMA officials said they've been working hard to improve and tighten controls in the disaster aid program. A spokesman said FEMA is confident it can verify disaster victims' identities.
    Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights

I don't know a whole lot about it, but I saw what happened when the hurricanes hit and FEMA was needed, and they were slow to respond. I don't think that they should close down FEMA and start a new agency, but maybe they should reform it and place some new people in the leading positions.

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by hsvfdsta4
    I don't know a whole lot about it, but I saw what happened when the hurricanes hit and FEMA was needed, and they were slow to respond. I don't think that they should close down FEMA and start a new agency, but maybe they should reform it and place some new people in the leading positions.
    BINGO. Why would we take this agency apart just to create a NEW one? It's not like that can happen in 5 months. They need to fix the current agency. Start by clarifying their mission, getting rid of all of the political hacks underneath Paulison, and giving them the tools/$$$ to go to work.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

GRRRR. We're over here!!!!!! Didn't see that thread when I posted

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=81106
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ok Tom, I dont know where your link goes, because the firewalls at work wont allow me to pick it up. However I did see the other thread from DrParsite, and the reports are similar, but this one has the recommandtions included, so I'll answer here.

Firstly lets take the lead recommendation and toss it - superfluous.

The others.... correct me if I'm wrong, but when I did the NIMS 700 study a few weeks ago, I am pretty sure that it talked about exactly those points and a few others. Also, I am pretty sure that FEMA and the other agencies involved all work to those ends. So the question comes to mind, did the "Senate" actually review FEMA's mandate and other relevant instructional documents before making their recommendations? Ya, I know, its a rhetorical question.

Or is it maybe that the ICS and NIMS systems are just a bunch of words written on the screen that NO ONE takes seriously? I dont think so (at least I hope not).
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Give Paulison the tools he needs to do the job,eliminate about ten layers of bureacratic BS that exists below him and give him the authority to get the job done.We don't need a "new"government juggernaut to make it happen.I've spoken to Sen. Collins before regarding this matter and now it looks like we'll be having another chat.Liberman isn't helping the cause any either.Ever since Fema was absorbed by DHS things have been going down hill. T.C.

Good luck TC. I hope you will be able to make some headway on this.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Ok Tom, I dont know where your link goes, because the firewalls at work wont allow me to pick it up. However I did see the other thread from DrParsite, and the reports are similar, but this one has the recommandtions included, so I'll answer here.
    Yeah I was referring to Dr Parasite's thread but if they are different reports guess that changes things
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

If you read the report, you'll find that they recommend abolishing FEMA but replacing it with another FEMA, basically. They don't really deal with the fundamental problem, which is leadership at the top. FEMA didn't used to be a dumping ground for cronies and had experienced people who knew what they were doing. Then the administration changed, then FEMA became a political hack dumping ground causing waves of good people to leave, then things went to hell in a handbasket. The solution is to hire competent people and let them do their jobs. It used to be that way. It's not now.

Not too complicated.

Thanks Tom, I just wasnt sure where you were pointing. {stupid firewalls!} I read both, and chose this one, for the "recommendations". Not saying I like them, cuz I think someone has that proverbial cranial/rectal inversion thing going on somewhere in DC and other places. Noth'n new there I guess.

MembersZone Subscriber

Of course, you also have to factor in that mid-term elections are this year and people are pretty fed up with the government's inability to manage anything from domestic disasters to high gas prices. I have to agree with
    OneL, it sounds like they want to get rid of FEMA and replace it with FEMA. What they need to get rid of is the political bureacracy. You only have to look at the flurry of activity in the White House lately from the shakeups in administration to "investigating" the oil companies and now to replacing FEMA. The Republicans are worried about losing their hold on Congress and the Democrats don't really have a plan that will encourage people to vote for them. So we are down to bi-partisan committees that are essentially throwing everything that is wrong against the wall with a new plan to see what sticks.

bi-partisan committees that are essentially throwing everything that is wrong against the wall with a new plan to see what sticks.
    Isnt that how you test to see if the noodles are completely cooked? But yes, I agree, seems that no one has a real plan for anything other than to see pot they can stir to shake things up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Isnt that how you test to see if the noodles are completely cooked?

Excuse me sir, but I do not throw my noodles against the wall to see if they are done. I'll remember that next time you come for dinner. I do throw things but not my noodles.

there was a little incident with the sign I have on top of my stove that says "beware attack chef" when the sign went flying one night while I was cooking but no firefighters were injured in the process

Forum Member

The little lightbulb is turning on in the heads of these senators, but the heat is melting their brains.

I can wait to see how much they spend to change Fed. EMA to something like NEMA, National EMA, complete with all the same setbacks as FEMA, and no closer to a solution by Hurricane Season, round 2. Ding ding ding. Fight.

Those noodles you throw against the wall: Do you get to eat them?
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

Thread Information