Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Mechanical Question

I replaced the carburetor in my truck the other day, which was a challenge in itself, which is what brings the following question to light. I have been through my Chilton service manual, which was not very helpful, and I need guidance on:

1) if I were a "Curb Idle Screw" where would I be located?

2) the choke needs to be reset as the factory setting is "not enough"; to save much frustration, which direction should it be turned to achieve the desired result?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Curb idle is usually a screw that acts as a bump-stop for the throttle plate. You'll see the cable coming from the pedal in the cab that goes to some linkage on the carburator. There will be a piece outside the cab that moves along with the parts inside it. That is where you will find that screw bump-stop. Turning the screw in our out adjusts where the linkage stops an in turn, where the throttle plate stops.

As far as the choke, that is beyond anything I ever adjusted on my old truck. However, if I had to adjust it I would probably turn it one way and see what happens. If it was worse, I'd turn it the other way. Eventually, when the truck wouldn't start anymore, I would bring it to a mechanic.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Ok.. so the curb idle screw should be somewhere on the linkage side of the carb, right? Thats a start anyhow. Thanks NM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

There's a whole bunch of kids going "What's a carburetor"? right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Ya that thought did cross my mind George. Especially since I've "seen the Look" a few times when I stop in at a mechanic shop and ask questions. At one place I was told that they had a tough time diagnosing problems because their diagnostic equipment was not calibrated for "doing older vehicles."

Lol my first car had a carb so I'm following you....
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Default carb

The choke, I will presume, is on the left side of the carb as you are looking at it and should have a black plastic cover with three screws and a band around the cover that hold it tight. Loosen the three screws and there should be some indicators on the cover that would indicate lean or rich. Try going slightly rich and then run it and make sure that it pulls completley off after warming up. If not you will have to move to the lean side. Make your settings with a cold engine. After the engine warms up set your mixture screws, at the front base of the carb in until the engine stumbles and then back out until the engine smooths out and best idle is felt. After those adjustments then set the idle screw for the appropriate idle speed depending on whether it is a stick shift or automatic. Of course all this should be done after the points are set and dwell is checked unless you have electronic ignition. If all of this is too much, bring your truck to Las Vegas and we will set it up for you. I agree that the aftermarket manuals don't always give you all the pictures and information you need.Oh yes, is the choke electric or heat tubed from the exhaust or a combination? Confusing, huh? Actually I hope this helps a little.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

I know what a carburetor is. It is the 'curb screw idle" I am having a problem with.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by superchef
    I know what a carburetor is. It is the 'curb screw idle" I am having a problem with.

me too !!!!!!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

wait.......................... ...wait................is that the Fexor valve ? the gunooutin ? the flugan gets connected to it ? muffler bearings ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    wait.......................... ...wait................is that the Fexor valve ? the gunooutin ? the flugan gets connected to it ? muffler bearings ?
    No no Weruj, it's right next to the headlight fluid dipstick.

You know, right below the battery grease fitting.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

If you still have trouble Rick, let me know what truck/engine you are working on, I may be able to get you a pic or two from a truck site I visit.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Some of dem Kid's ain't spring chickens no more George

I think the last car / truck I had with a carb was the '77 Scout I had when I first got my license in the late 80s. Fortunately I've tuned a few two cycle engines and small four cycles over the years.

When I work on my '55 Ferguson Tractor...jeepers, I had to learn all about these things called "rotors" and "points."

Also I think it was to the right of the Flux Capacitor and the Kanipher pin...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY101TRUCK
    Also I think it was to the right of the Flux Capacitor and the Kanipher pin...
    To properly adjust that, you need 4 feet of duct tape, a french tickler, a midget, and a rubber chicken.

And just to mess with everyone's minds.....my 1958 FWD with a Waukesha engine has TWO caps, TWO rotors, TWO condensors, TWO sets of points, TWO sets of wires......TWO sets of plugs, TWO carbs..........
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

What brand carb is it? Edlebrock, Holley, Rochester. you can probably find some adjustment recommendations online. I may also have other manuals than the chilton that give carb adjustment recommendations.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Ya that thought did cross my mind George. Especially since I've "seen the Look" a few times when I stop in at a mechanic shop and ask questions. At one place I was told that they had a tough time diagnosing problems because their diagnostic equipment was not calibrated for "doing older vehicles."
    Remember when your "diagnostic tool" was a screwdriver placed on top of the engine block and then to your ear?

Remember when your "diagnostic tool" was a screwdriver placed on top of the engine block and then to your ear?
    Yes, I do - Oh wait... it still is.......

firefighterbeau and Martin, its a Rochester "2E". Before I bought it, I did an online search and was not at all happy with the results. First of all, Rochester does not have a supporting website, I got redirected to the places I had already been to. And those were not helpful to begin with.

The "installation instructions" that came with it are more than just vague, but slightly more informative than my Chilton book. All I really need is a decently detailed diagram, with one of those I am sure I could figure it out.

FWDbuff, I've seen vehicles in the configuration you describe. When I was in high school someone brought a car in like that. I dont recall the type, but your description is quite familiar. AND a real pain to tune in too, as I recall. I might be mistaken, but I think Landrover does (or did?) that. Or maybe it was International, on their pick ups..... been too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    And just to mess with everyone's minds.....my 1958 FWD with a Waukesha engine has TWO caps, TWO rotors, TWO condensors, TWO sets of points, TWO sets of wires......TWO sets of plugs, TWO carbs..........
    And just to mess with your mind....

Real trucks don't have spark plugs
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by HFRH28
    And just to mess with your mind....

Real trucks don't have spark plugs

HA! I wish

Thread Information