Forum Member

Default Do Not Try This At Home ...

I just watched the ABC evening news and caught a story about this guy from Tenn. who is building and selling stills. Yes, you can brew up some moonshine with it (highly illegal), but he is marketing them for the user to cook up their own ethynol (still very legal in most areas).

That's right boys and girls, not only do we have to face the dangers associated with dopers cooking up meth in their kitchen, we may now find ourselves walking into situations where some idiot is trying to bring down the cost of running their pickup truck by blowing up the house and half the neighborhood.

Now, that's what they call responsible journalism.

Forum Member

"Hey Y'all, watch this!"

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Farm based ethynol production is hardly something new. Boom in the late 70s. Not what you'd call common at present but could logically be a resurgence. Corn's cheap, gas is expensive.

Forum Member

I don't know how volatile ethynol is compared to gasoline but I'm sure it has the potential of causing some real problems as more and more people attempt to brew their own.
    Ethynol is the future for reliable energy in this country, with General Motors accouncing they are starting a line of E85 vehicles (meaning that it will burn a mixture of 85% ethynol and 15% gasoline), a vast improvement over the 10% E10 which are most common today (5 million already on US roads).

Just wonder how long it will take them to develope effective E85s suitible for fire apparatus. It would sure help in keeping down the cost of opperations for a lot of departments.
    Last edited by Driver76; 04-29-2006 at 04:34 PM.

Forum Member

Well,if you leaf through book catalogs like Delta Press,there's plenty of books available on how to brew your own.It's called Freedom of Information and doesn't only cover what nefarious rascalism the government is up to.
    And it's legal as long as you don't try to sell it for profit.I'd avoid using an old radiator for a condenser though.Not only does the antifreeze taste ruin the flavor of the drinking,you CAN go blind from that.

Forum Member

You have to have different lines to carry fuel and air around the engine when running alcohol because it rots rubber.
    As to running E85 in the apparatus,with the majority of engines and ladders being diesels,I would think biodiesel would be a wiser choice.I've seen what happens when you run gasoline through a diesel engine(not my doing it was a recreational boater using the wrong pump)and don't think the city,county or board of trustees,whoever your Chief answers to,would be too happy with learning why they have to buy another rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver76
    I don't know how volatile ethynol is compared to gasoline but I'm sure it has the potential of causing some real problems as more and more people attempt to brew their own.
    Ethynol is the future for reliable energy in this country, with General Motors accouncing they are starting a line of E85 vehicles (meaning that it will burn a mixture of 85% ethynol and 15% gasoline), a vast improvement over the 10% E10 which are most common today (5 million already on US roads).

Just wonder how long it will take them to develope effective E85s suitible for fire apparatus. It would sure help in keeping down the cost of opperations for a lot of departments.

MembersZone Subscriber

If I'm not mistaken, you can make up to 500 gallons of moonshine per year for personal use. Sell the first drop, though, and say hello to the BATF.

There's probably a legal exemption available for small-batch fuel production , too.

I've checked into biodiesel production some myself. It's actually a very simple process and home brewing could could become a widespread thing. The process requires lye and methanol so there's quite a fire hazard there, too.

It's worth filing all this away in the back of your mind, though, just in case.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Thread Information