Thread: Canton Fire

Forum Member

Question Canton Fire

Does anyone know the latest on the City of Canton? Are they planning on hiring any more off the current list? How long do their eligiblity lists normally last before expiration? Do they have another test scheduled? Thanks for any input.

MembersZone Subscriber

My brother just got hired there. He was #1 on that list. From what he's heard, the city is hoping to hire 3-5 more guys this summer.

I know this isn't definitive, but I hope it helps.

Forum Member

Thanks Dave. I really hope they hire a couple more. Congrats to your brother. Is it Matt?

MembersZone Subscriber

ha ha That would be him. Caught his first CFD fire a few nights ago, he called to rub it in. He really likes it.

Good luck

Forum Member

Default Instructor

Hey, I am not sure about hiring but I know that an Instructor from the State Fire Academy was hired as Chief. That's kinda old news, but I wasn't sure if ya'll knew that yet. Also, I completely forgot the Instructors name. Are any of ya'll going to participate in the FF Combat Challenge at the Reservoir this summer? I am from Lafayette County (Oxford), but originally from jackson.

Forum Member

Default Sorry

Wow, sorry guys I am thinking of the wrong Canton. I am retarted. haha

Forum Member

Smile

Just patiently waiting for an opportunity.
    Last edited by Firemedic515; 05-17-2006 at 12:20 PM.

Forum Member

Firemedic 515, do I know you

Frank?
    "Plan for the worst, hope for the best"

FF/EMT: Nimishillen Township FD
    EMT: AMR
    Fire/EMS/Police Dispatcher: CenCom
    Student: Stark State C.O.T.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdd2121
    i got a call about 5 months ago for the job with canton fire. i declined but i assume they hired. at the time they were telling me 3-5 guys
    They hired 5. Why didn't you accept the offer?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lammrover
    Firemedic 515, do I know you

Frank?
    Sorry, not Frank.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdd2121
    i accepted a position with a suburb of cleveland
    Congratulations! What suburb? Maple Heights maybe? (If you don't mind me asking) I've also taken quite a few tests in the Cleveland area.
    Last edited by Firemedic515; 05-29-2006 at 10:43 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter/Medic???

Hi guys... real quick question for ya'll. I am a Marine Airport Firefighter stationed at MCAS New River, NC and a Structural Firefighter for the town of Emerald Isle, NC. I am getting out of the Marine Corps in about 6 months and all of the fire departments I have contacted in Ohio have told me that you must be a paramedic in order to either apply or take their tests. Are there still fire departments that like their firefighters to be able to fight fire as well as run EMS? I am an EMT-B for the state of North Carolina, but it's kind of hard to get an Ohio Paramedic Certification when I am forced by the Marine Corps to live in NC. It's not that I don't want the certification. Are there any departments that hire firefighters and give them a specified time to get their paramedic? I am moving to the Strongsville area. (Cuyahoga County) I guess that wasn't a real quick question, huh... HA HA. Someone please reply.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know of any ARFF job vacancies?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymarine1
    Does anyone know of any ARFF job vacancies?
    Try Springfield or Rickenbacker. I was told Rickenbacker IS hiring right now. As for Springfield there are rumors it may shutdown so it may be out of the picture.

AS for depts. wanting you to have a P card, I wouldn't worry too much as others have said. A lot I have seen will want you to obtain it within say a year of hire. I know you say you are moving to Cuyahoga area, but if you are willing to relocate my department should be testing in the next 6-9 months. We do not run ems (occasional first responders). If you can obtain your Ohio 240 card you will not be required by us to attend the state accademy. I challenged the state test when I got out of the military, and basically what that means is I showed Ohio proof of training that met or EXCEEDED the state requirement. Then all I had to do was take the final state exam and pass. We give 20% credit on the test for an honorable discharge and that pretty much gurantees a spot in the top 3 applicants to be considered for the job. I work for Coshocton Fire Dept. and if you check our website the test notice will be posted there.(www.coshoctonfire.org) or feel free to PM me on here and I can give you my email address.
    Local 216
    Secretary/Treasurer

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the help Wilson.

Forum Member

Default Cambridge

NOTICE OF EXAMINATION
    CAMBRIDGE CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
    ANNOUNCE THE EXAMINATION FOR
    ENTRY LEVEL FIREFIGHTER
    A competitive examination for Entry Level Firefighter will be conducted on July 18, 2006 at
    5:30 p.m. at the Justice Center, 601 Southgate Parkway, Cambridge, Ohio.
    PREREQUISITES include:
    Completion of High School or attainment of the GED Certificate
    Completion of Ohio Certified Firefighter I & II
    Completion of Ohio Certified Emergency Medical Technician - Basic
    Attaining the age of 18 and not greater than age 36, inclusive
    Payment of $10.00 examination fee and completion of a Classified
    Service Employment Application.
    * Additional credit for Military Service requires a copy of Honorable Discharge.
    APPOINTMENT REQUIREMENTS include:
    Successful Completion of Civil Service Examination
    Successful Completion of a Physical Examination with emphasis on
    cardiovascular and pulmonary health.
    Tests that require physical endurance while utilizing self-contained air
    breathing equipment and physical endurance test at extensive heights
    associated with aerial ladders.
    Must comply with City of Cambridge Firefighter residency
    requirements within 90 days after an appointment.
    Successful completion of an interview with work related questions.
    APPLICATION PROCESS: Applications can be picked up at the Civil Service Commission office
    located at 1131 Steubenville Ave. during office hours Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday 7:00
    a.m.-12:00 noon, 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m., and Fridays 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Special arrangements
    can be made if unable to come in during these hours by calling 432-3601. Applications may also
    be obtained online at cambridgefd.org. Applications must be completed and returned by 12:00
    noon, July 7, 2006 with proof of Ohio Certified Firefighter I & II, Ohio Certified Emergency
    Medical Technician - Basic, and Honorable Military Service, and payment of $10.00
    examination fee. A study guide will be given upon receipt of application.
    EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
    CAMBRIDGE CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
    1131 STEUBENVILLE AVENUE
    CAMBRIDGE, OHIO 43725
    (740) 432-1718 OR (740) 432-3601

I know its a repost, but if you are looking to work in a career FD, this is a great place. Apps only until July 7th so hurry. More details are below in the Columbus thread. www.cambridgefd.org
    Last edited by cfd37buckeye; 06-28-2006 at 04:54 PM.

Forum Member

cfd37,
    How many full-timers does Cambridge have? How many do they expect to hire?

I thought the new state legislation prohibited residency requirements! (Half joking) Seriously though, 90 days? That doesn't give me time to sell the house.

It does sound like a great opportunity though. I'll definitely apply. Thanks for the info.

Forum Member

Any more talk of Canton hiring this summer?!

Forum Member

We are going to hire 1 right now, and that will put us at full staff. we have 20 full timers, 6 per shift, an inspector, and a chief. As for the residency thing, it is in our contract, but we have been doing some research. Apparently, the legislation reads that you can require someone to live in an adjoining county, but it is up to the locality to pass an ordinance to make the requirements stronger. i.e. the city may pass an ordinance that any member of CFD must live within a 9 mile radius of the center of town. That is the current residency requirement. Not to run anyone off, but we actually want our people to live close considering that we rely heavily on callbacks to bolster our forces on a call. This is where the OT comes in. On a structure fire, an all hands page is usually dropped to have enough reinforcements to do the job. The bigger cities with additional stations do not have this problem since they can strike another alarm, and get another on duty station. We call on off duty guys, and it would be very hard for someone who lives in Canton, or Columbus to make a call out. The money is good, cost of living is low, and housing is abundant. If you make this list which will be good for 2 years, there are going to be anywhere from 3 to 5 retirements in the next 2 years.

Forum Member

Thanks mdd2121. I heard from a pretty reliable source that they are hiring 2 right away and possibly 3 more at a later date. I'm going to stop in a HR next week to update my application.

MembersZone Subscriber

Five was the goal, two was the word, last week. This afternoon, I was told that CFD will be hiring three, this summer.

It comes from a reliable source, but you know how things change...

MembersZone Subscriber

The city of Mansfield will be giving a Civil Service Exam on the 12th of August. There is a fee of $20 that is due by July 28th if anyone is interested in more details, email me at firemanstation24@yahoo.com or daniel.eldreth@usmc.mil

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Yep, they called me last Tuesday and said the same thing. They said they were trying to get 20 names together of people who were still interested. I hope they get things moving. I've already accepted an out-of-state conditional offer, so it might just be too late.

FCDave,
    Is your bro still liking the job? Also, I know there is a medical following the conditional offer, but did he also have to take a polygraph or psych?
    Last edited by Firemedic515; 01-15-2007 at 08:05 AM.

Forum Member

Montgomery County, Maryland

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    Montgomery County, Maryland
    Great place to work! I am assuming that you accepted an offer from MCDFRS???

God, I miss Md!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information