Forum Member

Question Ems In Fire Service

Ems Has Begin Running Fire Calls And Fighting Fire In Our County. They Are Not The Fire Dept.an Are Trying To Take Over The Fire Service. They Do Their Own Training.they Have Repeately Cancelled Fire Trucks Responding To Overturned Vehicles With Gas Leaks. They Will Not Listen An Have No Desire To.
    Does Anyone Know Where I Could Fine Some Info As Far As Them Caring Contimated Gear On The Ambulances With Sick Pts. I Have Tried Looking Over Nfpa An Osha But Unable To Locate Enough Info.

Ramsey1610

Forum Member

Ramsey, word of advice: Typing Like This Makes You Look Like An Idiot. Follow proper grammer, and people will take you more seriously. and I know, I don't use capitalizations, but that's just me.

to answer your question, does EMS perform extrication and rescue for your area? some places (in the paid and volunteer world) do.

you bring up how they are cancelling FD units when responding to overturned vehicles with gas leaks. ok, well, hypothetically speaking, what will you do that the tow truck that is already on scene can't do? I have seen tow truck drivers put down speedy dry just as efficiently as the FD. and assuming the patient self extricates, well, does the FD need to actually be there (SOPs aside)?

you probably aren't giving the EMS enough credit. most of the time EMS won't bring contaminated gear into the ambulance. the flip side is, if your have an in house EMS crew, and FD is 10-15 minutes out (don't know, just guessing), they might be cancelling you because they will have the patient and clear the scene before you arrive.

if you really think it's a big deal, have your chief contact their department's leadership
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

i have to agree. here the fire department runs the ambulance service for the whole county. whenever there is a fire an ambulance respondes, of course for firefighter safety anf in the event the firefighters find someone. as far as MVC's (motor vehical crashes as we call em), maybe the ambulance got on scene and saw that there was no reason for fire response. i mean if there is not need for extrication or anything else from the firetruck, then why do u want to respond and be in the way of the EMS trying to do their job, the flow of traffic and the tow truck guy doing his job??? ambulances here cancel fire units all of the time. also, we have a resuce unit that responds usually, but if the rescue is tied up, an engine crew can respond since all engine crews are equiped with extrication equipment.

Forum Member

Have you ever seen gas soaked speedy dry ignite? Trust me, having an engine on scene with gas leaks is not a waste of resources. As for extrication, my EMS agency does it, not the FD. But they know, any time the tools are going to be used, FD is requested and an engine stands by at the scene with a charged line.

Why take the risks? It could only be YOUR life.

And there is no agency/organization out there that will force them to change. That is, unfortunately, until someone gets hurt and there is a serious investigation and lawyers get involved.
    Last edited by Bones42; 05-01-2006 at 10:13 AM.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

of course roll a truck to a gas leak. thats not what i was trying to say. i was just saying if there is no fire, no leak, and no need for extrication, then besides traffic control, which is what the police is for, then what the point of being on scene??? im sure the EMS guys/gals know what they are doing, and if they feel they need fire on scene then they will call them. or if in any event, they can call for fire to make sure the scene is safe, the truck can respond and secure the scene and then leave. i guess it all depends on what each department has set for that type of situation???????? plus the only ambulances i have worked with are fire department ran ambulances. so idk how other ambulance services operate.

Forum Member

sry, i failed to read the part about overturned vehicles with gasleaks. oh yeah, i would say that a fire unit needs to respond. maybe your department leaders should have a talk with the ambulance service about response procedures. at least let the fire guys look things over and make sure everything is safe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Have you ever seen gas soaked speedy dry ignite?
    no, but I do think that it would be a really cool sight to see
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Trust me, having an engine on scene with gas leaks is not a waste of resources. As for extrication, my EMS agency does it, not the FD. But they know, any time the tools are going to be used, FD is requested and an engine stands by at the scene with a charged line.

Why take the risks? It could only be YOUR life.
    Bones, you and I both know that there are places that don't have the FD respond to MVCs, only the ambulance and PD. And I have seen a tow truck driver throw down speedy dry, put it into the back seat or truck of a car, and take it away. so while it exploding is a possibility, I don't think it's that common of one.

Personally, I would be more worried about the EMS people fighting fires. Although if the cops can do it, what can't EMTs?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

More often than not, the tow truck driver is putting speedy dry on oil/anti freeze/transmission fluid/etc. not gas. They let that evaporate. I'm not even bothering to try and answer/discuss the EMS fighting fires because I simply don't believe they are pulling up in an ambulance and attacking a fire. Let's be realistic.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

i may be wrong, but i dont think that a private ambulance service can cancel a fire unit. if the ambulance provider in question is a private service then they should not be able to cancel a fire unit if they are responding. now if this is a ambulance that is ran by the fire department then that is a different story. this is a problem that your chief should take up with the EMS supervisor. it's the same thing for us as volunteer firefighters. even though our department offers EMS services as well as fire service for the county, we cannot cancel a responding ambulance or other fire units since they are ran by the city.

Thread Information