Forum Member

Default Question for anybody with USFS

I gotta quick question for anybody that works with the US Forest Service. I sent out a few applications for the forest service about a month ago and I haven't heard anything back. How long do you usually have to wait to find something out?

Forum Member

Your best bet would be to contact them. It is the time a year when most of the seasonal hiring is already done. If you contact them it will show them that you are actually interested and they should be able to give you an answer as to whether there are still vacancies to be filled. I hope that helps. Good luck with the process.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking What we've been told by the U.S.F.S.

Just talked to the crew that runs outta our house...... I know, a Local County Fire Dept. running with the Feds....... let's not get into it; they said that due to lack of funding they are currently goin' to staff 50% of the Engines this season, in California..........
    So unless you live in Cali. I would contact them, and try to be the squeaky wheel, cause we know what happens there..........
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Well that is sort of pessimistic, some of the forests are considering staffing 5 day engines instead of the normal 7, that would be about 70% if we were all doing that. I know my forest is staffing 100% and I'm sure the others will too once the season heats up.

As far as the original question, it depends on where you are applying, the southwest has probably done their hiring, Southern California probably has too but you might still have a chance, Northern California and the Northwest is probably doing their hiring now or will very soon.

You really should contact the crews where you want to work, it really improves your chances of getting hired, we just get a list in random order, for the most part all are pretty similar in qualification so someone who took the time to find out where we have openings and called or came to visit the station will stand out over those who don't.

Forum Member

Thanks guys. I guess the problem is that I had to apply online cause when I looked at different webistes that have different crews, every time I clicked on recruitment it would send me to a central vacancy page at www.avuedigitalservices.com There you check vacancys and apply online, so thats what I did because I was told you can only apply online.

Forum Member

AVUE is horrid... the process is confusing, the competencies are inane, and I sent in a dozen applications having no clue whether or not I was doing them properly. One time I made a single mistake, and my application was ruined... no chance for a correction. Out of all those times, I got a single automated e-mail mentioning one of my applications met all qualifications.

Never even got a phone call though. I'm off to a contract crew in North Cal. Hopefully I can get a job on a state crew next year.

Forum Member

hsvfdsta4

next year, call the places you want to work and talk to them directly. On my forest we don't hire off avue... we mostly hire local kids who are going to school... if we hire under a student hire program, there is much more flexibility in hiring/promotion and how long into the season they can work... as long as you are registered when hired, if you decide to skip a semester, no big deal, we can work you if the $$ is available.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

I have also been looking into wildland firefighting as a summer job. Next month I'm attending the MN Wildfire Academy and hopefully getting my redcard. The AVUE system is totally confusing to me also. We have two National forests in our state with many regional offices scattered in those forests. Should I just be contacting the office I want to work out of?

Or would I be better off trying to get a job with the MN DNR?

Also, if I get my redcard, Which is the S-130 right? How do I keep my Certification up?

-Capt. Ben-

Forum Member

In the federal system, to get your red card you must have taken S-130, S-190, and I think I-100. Once you have taken these, you maintain currency with an annual refresher (8 hrs) and current Work Capacity Test (aka Pack test, but there are 3 levels depending on what you do - FF vs. timekeeper).

IMO, your best bet is to contact the local forests directly and ask them how they hire (avue or something else). There may still be slots available as well they can pick someone up on an emergency hire clause and then get the paperwork pushed thru for a different appointment type.

Good luck
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Thread Information