Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Satir Climb

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Satir Climb

Does anybody know how long your on the stair climber for at a CPAT?

R.I.P K.Apuzzio 4/11/06 Fargo2722's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hooknman
    Does anybody know how long your on the stair climber for at a CPAT?
    IAFF CPAT has you do a 20 second warm up and then goes straight into the test for 3 minutes at 60 steps per minute with a total weight of 75 pounds.

Forum Member

Default First Step

Most people who fail the CPAT fail the first event (Stair Climb/Stair Stepper), or run out of time during the last event (Ceiling Breach).

#1 Stair Climb: No matter how hard you train for the stair stepper, your legs are going to be like rubber after you get off the machine and start pulling hose. The recovery time for rubber legs depends on your fitness. Even still, rubber legs or not, you have to get moving and keep moving, and stay moving! If you stop at anytime during the events, the clock is ticking and you are losing time.

The tendency is that as you start wearing down on the stair stepper machine, your pace and stride will change and that will affect your balance. As you lose your balance, you start to wobble and the momentum of the weight on your body increases the swaying. As the distance of the sway increases, you will make a natural grab for the handrails. Grab the rail (more than twice?) to many times and you are disqualified. Instead of "grabbing the rail", use the back of your hand and push your self back. Adjusting your stance and concentrating will help you avoid the "wobble". Just like wearing a SCBA, you also have to concentrate on your breathing.

For more on the CPAT look here: http://www.eatstress.com/agility.htm
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys, I should have my CPAT coming up soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

CPAT CPAT CPAT
    Man is the test crazy....... Well the first part anyway. I am from CT and about 40% of those who take the CPAT fail. Number one reason---- You guessed it right, Stair Climb. I personally see the point in the wear down factor of the stair climb but not the no grab rule. Obviously if you were allowed to hold on with two hands the whole time it would be much easier. Allowing one to grab onto the raling to maintain balance for a moment every now and again should be allowed. OK having said that I will lend some first hand advice.

I tok the CPAT and failed once on the stairs and once due because of time. I then got really serious. I borrowed a weight vest, same as the CPAT vest. and I went to the gym. I worked on cardio cardio cardio and I also did a whole body workout routine. It paid off. I took the CPAT and passed no problem. I swear that going on a stair master or just stairs wearing that 75 pounds made all the difference in the world. When I failed the stair climb my legs were shot... I could barely stand on them after falling. When I passed my legs felt great. Yes I was a bit tired but my legs rebounded almost instantly. I wa able to run on the hose drag and push through with no problem. I reccomend getting a weight vest set up and hitting the stairs. Good rest two to three days prior to the test and eat right.

Have a regular breakfast (protein like eggs, meat and toast) have a snack three hours later, something good for you like granola bar and fruit. Eat a full lunch, salad with chicken or a burger and some greens something with the proteins and also the carbs for fuel. Eat antoher snack three hours later. again fruit and such. All along plenty of water . Don't take in a lot of sugary junk. Do this for the three days prior. The night before your test drink only water and no food three hours prior to bed. This uses your energy wisely and readies you to take in some protein and carbs the next morning. When you get up CPAT day drink water and eat a good breakfast. I chose a bagel sandwich because it gave me the protein and the carbs in a simple package I could eat on the road. Not ideal but it worked. If you will not take the test for at least two hours after eating breakfast than bring a gatorade or some electrolite drink to keep up your energy and also help calm the nerves. I was given this routine by a bodybuilder friend of mine who runs my gym. I will say I am not the only one to follow his plan and I can say it works....

Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

Well, for me, and I am in no great shape by any means. I was nervous about peforming the stair climb. I went out and got a weight vest, and started cutting my grass while wearing it. This I think made quite a difference in my stamina on the stepper.

I dont get anything for saying this, nor do I work for them but I bought mine at Weightvest.com

I bought the 60# economy plate vest, works wonders for me.
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Forum Member

I worked out a bit before my C-PAT. Even though I passed my first time taking it, I should have trained harder and longer. Plus the night before I had a long night working a fire with a volunteer dept I'm also with. I didnt really get much sleep before I had to get up and go test. Of course I skipped breakfast in exchange for hitting the snooze button a few times. I got on the Stair Climb and thought I was done for. I will admit I had really bad rubber legs after that. I took a spill when I tried to speed it up a bit more than my legs could handle. That really got me going. I flew through the rest of the course. Even with falling my time was 8:26. I know I can do much better than what I did, but the important thing was that I passed.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I agree with those that say "Get a vest." I got a 40# vest that is the exact same brand, size, wt that the dept I want to hire on with is using. Here's what I've discovered:
    * Vest beats backpack full of sand because the weight is evenly distributed. A backpack (which is what I used to use) is all in one place and isn't the best for your back (so I'm told).
    * If you get a vest exactly like you're going to test with, you can get used to how it feels - how the weight feels, how the load is distributed, your balance in the vest, etc.
    * Using the vest for workouts other than stairs is just added resistance your legs have to build up to: mowing the lawn, doing squats or lunges, etc.

Another item to consider getting is some ankle weights. Wear these plus the vest and it's just more resistance to train with. You can also wear them around the house, at work, etc.

I haven't had my PAT yet, but I'm noticing significant improvement and I feel more confident that I can test with that extra 40# on me.

Thread Information