3 die in U.P. house blaze

Published Saturday, April 29, 2006 1:06:04 AM Central Time

IRON MOUNTAIN, Mich. (AP) -- Three people died Friday in a pre-dawn house fire, but an infant boy was saved, authorities said.

The two-story dwelling was divided into separate apartments. Firefighters found the bodies of two adults in a back bedroom of the upstairs apartment and another in front, while the child was found on the floor near the rear exit, city fire chief Dan Johnson said.

The baby was in stable condition at Dickinson County Memorial Hospital and was expected to recover, The Daily News reported.

The victims' names were being withheld until relatives could be notified.

A woman living in the downstairs apartment escaped without injury. She told firefighters she had fallen asleep in her chair while watching television and woke to blaring static after the fire melted the cable connection.

"My neighbor called me to let me know we had a fire down the street," Carl Gustafson, who lives nearby, told the newspaper. "When I got here, flames could be seen through the second story windows and there was still quite a bit of smoke."

The upper part of the house was extensively damaged, while the lower part had smoke and water damage.

A state police investigator from the L'Anse post was trying to determine the cause of the fire.