Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter 3 Classes

Can someone tell me what's going on. I have heard some rumors that the state is investigating several fire academies in the northern portion of the state due to deficincies in the firefighter 3 programs that the academies offer. My other question is doesn't the OFSM approve the course prior to it being given so if they do how can there be deficincies? Just wondering because I am looking for somewhere to go and get my 3.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Heard the same rumor. So I called the OSFM. Remarkably, they are happy to answer any questions they can. I still feel the OSFM is the only state agency that has a hint of having their poop together.

The deal is this: recently someone complained to OSFM that two northern Illinois Fire Academies, Southern Kane County Training Association, and the Downers Grove Fire Academy simply had to be skipping practical evolutions in their FFIII classes. After all, there was no way you could get all those practicals done in 40 hours (having taken one of them, I can tell you that, yes, you can get all the practicals done. You just need enough instructors). As it turned out, one student in a SKCTA class missed a couple of practicals. These practicals were in fact, done, just done separately from the main class (evidently, this person missed a few hours or some such thing. It was nothing sinister.). The OSFM felt there was enough irregularity to audit both academies. According to Susie Alwerdt, division manager for Personnel Standards & Education, if there are firefighters who got their FFIII certs from these academies, and they are missing practical evolutions, the academies will be responsible for making sure these people get the practicals done. THERE WILL BE NO REVOCATION OF CERTIFICATES.

I would still highly recommend either academy. Both are well run and organized.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Here is the story I got from some very reliable sources. [ people that work with this firefighter fulltime and partime] This guy went to the academy because his fulltime department couldn't help him by putting together a self study program for firefighter 3. [long story there as far as training goes] and his parttime department was not doing their in house program yet. This firefighter went through the class and was given the state test at the end along with the other 11 people that attended the class. To make a long story short this guy asked his fulltime chief to sign the attestation sheet and he refused without giving any reason so the firefighter asked his parttime chief to sign in which he did. The firefighter turned in the certificate signed by the fier marshal and Susie Alwedt and when he turned it into his fulltime department for a pay increase it was asked by the chief if he could look into the academy since he said he never heard of them. After 4 months of nothing but threats from the chief like the atterny general office looking into it and him also stating "it would be in this firefighters best interest not to push the issue" the firefighter pushed and filed a grevience. Which resulted in him being interigated by the chief and then ultimatly the chief filing charges against him including charges of fraud and forgery against him and asking for his termination. Also during this the firefighter took there lieutenats exam twice [all the firefighters failed the first exam] but both time he was judged unfairly by the chief. The firefighter asked for all of the fire departments documentation for the firefighter 3 class they did in 2000 because most of the other firefighters said they didn't complete all the practicals either. In short the firefighter recieved 5 shifts suspension without pay and has about 6,000.00 in lawyer fees and was removed from the lieutenants list which I guess doesn't matter since he was last anyway. The best part is Southern Kane during this whole time denied anything wrong doing to him and now since they sent out letters to people who attended the course since 2002 to 2006 admitting not doing all the required practicals they won't even meet with the firefighter to try and work out a monitery settlement since they caused this whole incident. So to all of you we should boycott Southern Kane and spread the word to the OSFM, AFFI, IL. fire chiefs and IFSI to boycott and not send instructors to the academy to show them that what they did was wrong since this not doing all the practicals was not isolated to just 1 class and that this firefighters career ihas been damaged severly from this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default i lived it

just got a letter from south kanecounty about my ff 3 practicals that were done as a group and were done by themselves

now i have make up's to do to allow my cert's to be valid

very dissapointed

melvin

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

(Edit: comments posted to the wrong thread)
    Last edited by jaybird210; 12-20-2006 at 10:24 PM.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Thread Information