Forum Member

Arrow NEW PIERCE TO CHILE - Please Comments.

Dear friends of firehouse.com:

We are writing from the Santiago Fire Dept. (Chile). We've have just got the approval of the city council to buy and import a new fully equipped apparatus (pumper plus SCBA, TIC’s, new nozzles, blowers, etc). This is part of the plan to change our old, but very reliable, Magirus Deutz-Iveco (1983).

After a long technical analysis of our service requirements we decided to change our 4x4 pumper to a “quint type” pumper. The chosen model is a PIERCE ENFORCER 61’ SKYBOOM.

Our project is in the stage that we have to decide engine brand and HP, pumper brand and GPM, hydraulic ladder rack or not, is the TAK-4 suspension worth the extra money, brand and model of the interior equipment, etc.

As here in Chile the fire trucks are mostly bought to Camiva we need comments on your experience with Pierce Aerials. SO IF YOU HAD RECENTLY BOUGHT/RECEIVED A NEW PUMPER LIKE THIS ONE ALL YOUR COMMENTS ARE WELCOME.

- What would you mandatory buy with this new quint?
    - What brand-model of SBCA does your FD use?
    - What brand-model of TIC’s does your FD use?
    - Have you got a good experience with the aerial device?
    - What working materials do you carry on your quint?

Thank you very much for your time and help!

sclcbs20@gmail.com

Forum Member

- What would you mandatory buy with this new quint?- Depends on what tools you have now and what your capabilities are

- What brand-model of SBCA does your FD use?- MSA Firehawk MMR with Voice amp and HUD

- What brand-model of TIC’s does your FD use?- MSA Evolution

- Have you got a good experience with the aerial device?- Don't have a Pierce, but it works well.

- What working materials do you carry on your quint? - 5" LDH for supply, 2- 150 long 1 3/4 " crosslays, K-12 saw (gasoline powered circular saw), Positive Pressure Ventilation fans, axes (pickhead and flathead), crowbars, ALD equipment, adapters, spare scba bottles, cribbing and much more
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Temporarily Inactive

You are doing very well looking at the enforcer skyboom 61. Yes the options are worth it including tak-4 and hydraulic ladder rack from the area departments near here that have these extras. Get everything you can afford and you will be happy to have a Class A pumper/ quint that is reliable for many years to come.

Forum Member

Dallas Ft. Worth Int'l Airport has at least 4 rigs almost identical to what you describe (Quints 25, 35, 45, and 55) except they are on a dash chassis (bought prior to the enforcer or tak4 being introduced). Follow the following 2 links for pics (sorry, haven't gotten the whole attaching pics thing down yet)

http://www.bensware.com/firetrucks/dfwairportq35lf.jpg

http://www.bensware.com/firetrucks/dfwairportq35lr.jpg

Forum Member

Default Tele-squrt

I think you would be better off putting a TELE-SQURT Boom on the Pierce chassis instead of Pierce Skyboom.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile SkyBoom vs TeleSqurt

Dear Chief1FF, et. al.,

I, too, would have initially been inclined to share your sentiments on the TeleSqurt from habit and prior experience alone. However, in the past couple of years, I've had to look into this debate between SkyBoom vs TeleSqurt, and boy, did I get brought up short in the process, from what I first thought.

In my discussions with Pierce Rep.s, I was told that Pierce had so many repeated reliability and quality issues with the "New" TeleSqurt product, that Pierce engineers decided that the best thing to do was to engineer their own version for their apparatus. I was told this around a year and a half ago. I had also heard this from other Fire Service sources also, but I can't remember where or when anymore.

I think that I was also told that the inconsistant fit and installation problems that Pierce had from unit to unit of the newer TeleSqurts caused Pierce to eventually give up on them, and they eventually decided to refuse to even accept a job that would have Pierce put a TeleSqurt unit on a Pierce Body. (I was told by several sources that the TeleSqurt is now made by different people, from a different company, and in a different part of the country now than it used to be, and that the current TeleSqurt is nothing like the old TeleSqurt we all knew and loved). Or at least, that's what I remember from the past couple of years of research. In the end, my conclusion for my department was to go with a 75' Quint instead of a teleboom unit for both the ISO-ratings points and reach advantages that the 75' Quint would provide. But, again, we at my department all sure do miss the quick set-up and 'joystick' ease-of-use advantages of our old TeleSqurt. I hope that our brothers in Chile find their SkyBoom as easy and fast to use as the old TeleSqurt, and I hope that they go for the 61' long unit over the 55' unit.

Well, that's about all I have to say about that. And the only reason that I'm commenting at all on the subject is to share with another fellow firefighter my own personal findings and experiences on the subject when I was going through the same questions a couple of years ago. Good luck on your search, and God Bless you boys way, way, down South.
    Last edited by CptnMatt; 05-03-2006 at 07:21 PM. Reason: syntax

Forum Member

We recently took delivery of a Pierce 100' platform, with the 22sq ft platform, with the 2000gpm pump. We are EXTREMELY pleased with it so far, and it's a gorgeous truck.

- What brand-model of SBCA does your FD use? - Scott
    - Have you got a good experience with the aerial device? Very
    - What working materials do you carry on your quint? Pretty much everything possible.

Ladders: 35ft extension, two single\roof ladders, Little Giant ladder
    Forcible Entry: Irons (two sets, I think), K tool, A tool, axes, Rabbit Tool
    Cutting: One chainsaw, two circular saws (one with welded blade, one with abrasive)
    Salvage\Overhaul: 12ft pike pole, multiple smaller poles, drywall hook
    Lighting\Electrical\Misc: Multiple junction boxes, floods, electric positive pressure fan (trying it out, all our engines have gas fans), two negative pressure fans
    SCBAs: All seats except operator

There's a lot I'm sure I'm not thinking of. Bascially, we've got it fully loaded for everything we'd need at a decently involved strucural fire. If we didn't have an air truck we'd have spare tanks somewhere too.

Forum Member

Find room for a "Little Giant " type ladder

Thread Information