Thread: where to go...

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool where to go...

i'm looking to get through this transformation from military fire fighting/ and living into the DOD community. i'm trying to get hired on as a DOD fire fighter in the CA area, any takers? i've got the pro board certs but am still some what green. I currently have fire fighter I,II hazmat awareness, ops, tech, ARFF driver, airport fire fighter, instructor I, EMT-B and am working on completing inspector I and finishing my AA degree in fire science.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARMANDRT
    i'm looking to get through this transformation from military fire fighting/ and living into the DOD community. i'm trying to get hired on as a DOD fire fighter in the CA area, any takers? i've got the pro board certs but am still some what green. I currently have fire fighter I,II hazmat awareness, ops, tech, ARFF driver, airport fire fighter, instructor I, EMT-B and am working on completing inspector I and finishing my AA degree in fire science.
    What no Pumper or Mobil Water Supply D/O???? I thought those were manditory for your five level (maybe just AF). Anyway, sorry can't help you out, but good luck in your transition.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

our pumper/ tender quals are in house... but there is a pumper cdc course which i'll end up doing before i take that last step into the wild, i still have some time just trying to plan ahead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARMANDRT
    our pumper/ tender quals are in house... but there is a pumper cdc course which i'll end up doing before i take that last step into the wild, i still have some time just trying to plan ahead.
    I am Active Duty AF, I still have sometime left in the military also, but like you I am planning my transition into either a DOD slot or Municiple. In most cases, if you are planning on DOD, you really should do the Driver Op. Pumper and Driver Op. MWS CDC course. Also, you allready have Haz Mat Tech and EMT-B those two are pretty much the go getters for the civilian slots at the bases i have been too for the civilians. I would suggest getting Haz Mat IC since its a quick multimedia course, and the more certs you have the better ur chances are. Def try to finish ur AAS Fire Science degree, another thing that a lot of guys wont have when u apply. I also suggest getting every single vehicle lisence you can get ur hands on. I have seen some guys do the Driver Op. Tiller and Driver Op. Ladder truck CDC then go to the city closest and use there trucks for the practicals. again, just more **** too have. whatr branch of the military are you in? Good luck!!

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the advice... i'm looking for all the incite and tips i can get. the driver op. for pumper sounds like an easy cdc, i have a few co-workers that have done it. i'm active duty navy right now and looking forward to being a civilian. thanks again.

Forum Member

for info/job postings check out:

www.dodfire.com - check out the forum section
    www.usajobs.opm.gov (search for 0081 job series)

It also wouldn't hurt to puruse the bulletin board at www.firecareers.com for interview tips and attitude suggestions. They also have an excellent subscription service if you're looking for municipal FD jobs.

Thread Information