Thread: A few questions

Forum Member

Default A few questions

I have been applying to departments anywhere and everywhere. My question is Does everyone who fills out an application get invited to test? Or do they actually go through the applications and weed some out?

Thank you

Joe

MembersZone Subscriber

I think sometimes they weed some people out by their applications.

I was told that 5000 applied for Burbank but only 3400 were given an invitation to test.

Hope this helps.

Shook

Forum Member

Depends on the department i guess, and whats all in the application. If there are certain requirements, like with many suburban departments, they will look for anyone who doesnt meet the minimum, or anyone who didnt include everything needed. An incomplete application means you wont be testing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wiff4hire makes a very good point.
    It's not uncommon for a department to get waaaaay more applications than they expected. a way to filter out applicants is to review each application for completeness.

One of the most common ways to toss out an application is to make certain that each application has been signed. If not, toss it.

Another way is to instruct the applicants to enclose a copy of their driver's license and high school diploma.

One of the more clever ways I heard of recently is to instruct the candidates to enclose their documentation in a certain order such as; driver's license, diploma, transcripts etc.

In this case a department was hiring 2 firefighters and was overwhelmed with 300 applicants, twice what they had anticipated. Over 100 applicants did not follow directions and were disqualified for not following directions.

Is this unfair? Not if you know how to follow directions.......

Here's the way we see it. If a candidate cannot follow simple instructions in a non-stressful situation such as filling out an application, how can we expect him to follow instructions on the fireground?

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore
    Here's the way we see it. If a candidate cannot follow simple instructions in a non-stressful situation such as filling out an application, how can we expect him to follow instructions on the fireground?
    Exactly, cant put it any better.

The last few departments i applied for required you to include copies of all certificates (ff1, emt, etc), copy of drivers license, i think SS card, birth certificate, and official copy of diploma by the time of the interview. They had checkoff sheets, but there was no specific order.

One of the depts i applied for ended up throwing out a bunch of apps because people didnt follow directions. They said for every line that does not apply, put N/A, do not leave it blank. When they say every line, they mean EVERY line.

I forget the numbers, but i heard people saying they threw out 1/3-1/2 the apps.

Thread Information