Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Busiest Day

Forum Member

Default Busiest Day

Just wondering, what was your busiest day at work and what happened?

Forum Member

busiest day was during a 12 hour EMS shift, 11 calls total. answered calls in 3 counties, and transported to five hospitals in 4 different municipalities, including one to a trauma center. Oh, we (me and my partner) also broke into my appartment, because my girlfriend ended up getting her and her friend locked out.

I know others have been busier, but that is probably my busiest shift every.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

My busiest day was (18) runs on Ladder #2 and we caught three 10-80's (working fires) that day. To me that was a pretty fun day!

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

MembersZone Subscriber

My department runs about 110 calls a year... we have a couple days a year where we'll get the hat-trick... but it's usually 3 med calls. We did have 2 wildland fires in one day about 2 years ago... it's looking like it's gonna be another one of those years.

Forum Member

Hmmm busiest day. As far as runs go, during an ice storm way back, I made well over 35 runs in a 24 hour shift, but not really much to any of them. I have made 7 fires in 24 hours while assigned to one of the cities heavy's, and have made 5 fires in a day while an officer on an engine company.

Here lately, anything over 15 runs in a 24 hour tour would be busy, anything less is about par.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

My busiet day occured three years ago during the summer. The night tour of duty starts at 18:00 hours. When I went into work at 17:30 to relieve my fellow Captain on Group 2, the clouds to the west of the City were towering cumulonimbus... a warning of impending thunderstorms.

We ended up doing 35 runs in a 1 hour period between our three stations!

We had 4 homes hit by lightning, numerous wires down. power and many fire alarms systems were activated due to the storm. For the alarm activations it was arrive, investigate, and if nothing found, move to the next call and reset the systems afterwards. We had a department recall to man the two reserve engines and support vehicles. We also mutual aid from the surrounding towns, as our resources were really stretched thin that night

After the storm passede, it quited down to what we consider a "normal" pace.. 15 calls, mostly smells and bells and medicals.

The oncoming shift could not believe that we did 50 runs for the tour. The day shift (08:00 to 18:00) had done 25 when another storm front passed through earlier in the day, so the total runs for the day was 75. That record still stands.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 05-02-2006 at 07:21 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

We had 4 homes hit by lightning, numerous wires down. power and many fire alarms systems were activated due to the storm. For the alarm activations it was arrive, investigate, and if nothing found, move to the next call and reset the systems afterwards

Yeah sounds like a couple years ago when a storm hit and we had 8 calls that day...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Recently it would have been the last snow fall. I was working with the plow truck, and the job was to follow the engine or medic on their calls to provide manpower assist. That went well and according to plan until we went to bed around midnight. From 1230am until 0630, we had the chance to see our bunks twice, for about 1/2 hr each time. Otherwise we were chasing arcing power lines or running alarm calls with Stn 1.

Beyond that, with Malahat, the busiest day I know of was winter time about 3yrs ago. I was driving an oil truck on this day, but was witness as a 'drive-by' for all but one. The night had been very cold, and as the sun came up, so did the frost on the roads. Since Malahat is located at the top of a 1000' mountain, you can imagine the rest.

That morning they ran 5 consecutive calls, of which I was at one of them, a commercial van into the ditch. I almost put my tanker in the ditch trying to stop... almost. Then when the Rescue pulled up with the Chief, the driver almost took me out, because they started to slide. They had been paged to a 2 car MVA, with one sitting on the "No-Post" (y'all call'm K-posts? 2500lb concrete divider) in front of the Petro-Can gas stn, another 1/2 mile south down the road, which is where I was headed to deliver home heating oil.

Heading north again, the boys were running an additional two calls within 3 miles of each other, and I heard later on, that they got the 5th one 15 minutes later.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

The busiest 24 hour shift I've had as a FF was on a squad: 4 working structure fires, 2 complexed extrications and various other calls (mvas not requiring extrication, alarms, etc.) totaling 21 calls. We left the station at shift change (1900 hrs.) and did not return the first time until 0430 the next day.

The busiest for me as an officer was 23 calls total on an engine company...2 working structure fires, several wrecks, medicals, a vehicle fire, automatic alarms and about a dozen "white powder" Haz-Mat calls during the height of the anthrax scare. Of those 23, we were first due on 21 of them.

The busiest 24 hour shift department wide (15 stations) was somewhere around 140+ calls during one of our hurricanes.

I love being busy!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949

The busiest 24 hour shift department wide (15 stations) was somewhere around 140+ calls during one of our hurricanes.
    I would have figured that you guys would have been busier than that.

For natuaral disasters:
    We had 100 for one hurricane in 2004 and around 80 for another that season. Each storm response was about 24-36 hours of continuous operation and then we started breaking guys loose to go get rest and to try to take care of their own issues.

For normal/everyday operations I think our largest one-day total was twelve runs.

Another artificial inflator is our brush/wildland fire season. These times can see us running 20-30 calls each day.
    Stupid People.......Providing Job Security to Public Safety Professionals for ........forever

Forum Member

we have done as many as 8 in a 24 hour period, all over the board EMS. MVA, Fires ....and they NEVER "average" out to one every 3 hours either, they are all clumped together. (and ya we are a POC dept). When I worked FT as a medic we could easily do 12 + runs ina 24 hour period, busiest I can recall was 16 or 18 in 24 hours.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cityfire7
    I would have figured that you guys would have been busier than that.

For natuaral disasters:
    We had 100 for one hurricane in 2004 and around 80 for another that season. Each storm response was about 24-36 hours of continuous operation and then we started breaking guys loose to go get rest and to try to take care of their own issues.

For normal/everyday operations I think our largest one-day total was twelve runs.

Another artificial inflator is our brush/wildland fire season. These times can see us running 20-30 calls each day.
    Your right, over the course of a hurricane, there are likely to be several hundred related calls that may span two days or more. I was only talking about those that occurred during one 24 hour shift.
    We also add lots of extra units and personnel for hurricanes and assign units and crews to high hazard areas.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Not counting hurricanes or snow/ice storms the most I have run in a day is 18. We normally run somewhere between 4-12 calls a day. This is all in a 24hr shift.

MembersZone Subscriber

We ran 102 calls in a 24 hour period about 12 years ago. We had a heavy rain fall after a major snowstorm. Lots of flooding, several MVA's, some down wires, and a few ceiling collapses. Ended the day with a CO incident at a large factory. I measured over 1,000 ppm of CO at the floor level with a 20 foot ceiling. Several employees had mild CO poisoning.

A "regular" real busy day would be 10 calls.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Not counting storm incidents (our dispatch center will usually just give out 1 incident number all the miscellanous stuff is placed under...you'll get a seperate one if there is a structure fire, person injured, etc)...

Volunteer department, protecting about 5,000 people in our first-due area, and bit larger in our ambulance response area, and about 10,000 in the area we're on the first alarm card...

Once we set a new department record in modern memory of 10 call in 24 hours. A couple of the older members thought we probably had a few bad brush fire days back in the early 60s that had been busier.

Two days later...we did 10 calls in a single date.

Since then, I think our new mark is 14 calls.

And all these "busy" days seem to be a similiar make-up -- A structure fire, a minor fire like a car, a couple MVAs, and the balance in ambulance runs, pretty much mirroring what our year-round statistics are like.

Forum Member

23 EMS runs in a 24 hour shift on my truck alone. No one else hardly moved. Nearly got into at least a half dozen accidents on my 6 mile drive home directly caused by my lack of sleep.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Some time in December last year, we got a call to a structure fire at about 4:30 PM we went out fought the fire till about 9:00, but at this house their was a cellar we couldn't get to and we couldn't get into the 2nd floor safely either, and it was a windy day so as soon as we got back to the department we would be dispatched to go back out because it had re-kindled, we tried everything including foam, but the wind was working against us and we couldn't safely get the water where we needed it. On about the fourth run we were dispatched to another fire back in town. We loaded up and headed out, this fire was on top a hill, it was -5 degrees out and the wind didn't help allot, we were exausted cold and our gear was litterally freezing to our bodies. We finished putting out that fire and be damned if dispatch didn't send us back to the first house again. We didn't stop making runs until about 3:00 PM the next day. I think the count wound up being 8 runs.
    "You choose to go voluntarily into the fire. The blaze might well destroy you. But if you survive, every blow of the hammer will serve to shape your being. Every drop of water wrung from you will temper and strengthen your soul." Margaret Weis

Paul Richardson
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    OVFD unit# 343/SLVFD unit# 610

IACOJ BOD

Started at 0405 this morning to deal with San Francisco based company, it was 10.00am yesterday "SF" time. Setting up supply and deals for our new product.

It is now 1956 hrs and I have finally stopped by FH for a break before a couple of Dark Ales go racing down past my tonsils.

Longest break today? I went to the outhouse a few times.

Oh. You mean call outs. 36 hours for scrub fire (thats what we call a small forest fire here).
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

July 4th of 1999 between the hours of 1800 and 0800 made 38 runs in a medic unit back then with 25 transports.

Summer of 2004 counting the second half of a night tour 0000-0800 and the first half of the next night 1800-0000 ran about 20 runs with 3 good jobs.

Oh, there is no such thing as a re-kindle. Its the same fire you didnt put out the first time.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck18
    Oh, there is no such thing as a re-kindle. Its the same fire you didnt put out the first time.
    Or the PITA insists on burning the house down and you keep interupting him!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking 4th of July 2005

My Engine Co. ran 21 calls with 3 working house fires, 1 auto shop (working) and some grass fires to add. The rest were medical's. The next day (July 5) My Engine ran 19 calls. With 2 working house fires and a wildland fire that lasted 3 hours, the rest were medical's. The 21 calls is second busiest day for one company in are city. That day was the Ice Storm of 1998, when my company ran 27 calls in 15 hours, (They would have had more but the Engine was in a MVA) and placed out of service. I was not on the FD when this happened. But ive seen the pic's and the run book.

Forum Member

The most I can recall for the department (not counting storms of any kind) is 18 for the truck in 1 24hr period. The most I myself have run in a 24 is 14.

As for storms, we ran 65 in a 24 once, with 2 engines running out of one house. I was on one of the engines and we ran 36. When I got off duty, I went home and slept for almost 16 hours.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

On my old dept. During a blizzard in 1998....we had 32 runs. Mostly accidents, fire alarms, weather related incidents. The other 3 houses had about the same run load. Every one was going from one end of the city to the other.

Forum Member

If EMS counts....then mine was yesterday. 19 calls in 24 hrs, and one of those was a 3.5hr call. 10 back to back calls, nine hours on the road without seeing a station once in that period. Ugly..ugly day.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it was 23 calls on a 24 hour shift on 11-15-2001.

Massive rains, flooding, and a tornado that went threw my territory in Austin TX.

Rescues from high water, floating cars, and flooding people out of houses, and a fire.

Assisting people who lost roofs off their homes, wires downed, snaped power poles, and trees into houses etc.....

This was the only time I couldn't make it to a call I was assigned to. Trying to work my way across town to a wires down call we ran into massive rescue operations from the flooding.

I went by the next morning to check on wires down after things had subsided.

We did a lot of work that went unreported.

It's wild when you run into a multitude of emergencies just trying to make it to your destination.

Dispatch was overwhelmed. They just gave us a list of addresses to hit. We stayed out all night. I think we made it back once or twice to get into some dry cloths and catch a cup of coffee.

Thread Information