MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Cool Holy E-bay Batman!

Chinese Man Buys Fighter Jet On eBay

POSTED: 12:52 pm EDT May 1, 2006

BEIJING -- A Chinese businessman has bought a MiG-21 plane from a U.S. seller on the online auction Web site eBay for $24,730 and plans to use it to decorate an empty space at his offices, a newspaper reported.

The Beijing News newspaper on Sunday identified the Chinese buyer as Zhang Cheng.

"I like to collect valuable items. I have the buying power and my company has an empty space where I can display the plane," Zhang told the newspaper.

The eBay Web site for the transaction shows the plane is currently located in Lewiston, Idaho.

It said the fighter jet, last flown in 1995, has been inspected by a museum and found to be in excellent condition.

The seller was only identified by the username "inkgirle."

Zhang told The Beijing New he learned from the seller's son by telephone that the fighter jet was retired by the Czech military.

It wasn't immediately clear if the fighter jet can be imported into China. Zhang said he is waiting for government authorities to get back to him, The Beijing News reported.

An operator at China's customs department said no one was available for comment.

"There is the precedent of a Chinese company buying a retired aircraft carrier, but I don't know if this jet plane is a banned item," Zhang said.

Zhang was apparently referring to the Soviet-built Minsk aircraft carrier that a Chinese company bought and converted into a floating theme park in the southern city of Shenzhen. The company went bankrupt and recently put the ship up for sale.

The report gave no indication where in China Zhang was located.

eBay's government relations department didn't immediately respond to a reporter's e-mail seeking comment.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Damn Rick, you got my hopes up only to be dashed.

I went to Ebay looking for an old tank to display in my living room (probably just a Sherman or somethng smaller since I only have a little 1 bdrm place), but alas there were none for sale right now.

And BTW, Which section are the tanks and fighter jets under?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Back "in the Day" when I was an air cadet (676 Kittyhawk Sqn), 89 Sqn out of Victoria thought it would be a good idea to try and requisition a CF101 Voodoo, as they were being phased out, in favour of the then "new" CF18 Hornets.

From their Supply Officer, the a/c made it to the train head before some enterprizing young Supply Tech actually read the destination and queried higher as to why an AIR CADET squadron wanted a front line fighter. Needless to say the supreq was cancelled.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

IACOJ BOD

The brain dead government of New KiwiLand have a couple of squadrons of A-4K Skyhawks for sale.

DOH. Dey forgots one thing when they scrapped our strike wing.

Under the original purchase agreemnet with the US, they had the right of refusal when we decided to sell them.

DOH #2. Da place our liberal bunch of gits wanted to sell them too (READ "ONLY BUYER") was a muslim influenced S.E. Asian country.

YA Bloody PLONKERS. Get it right someday will ya.

Anyone want one for the back yard, reckon I could get you a damn fine deal.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Thread Information