Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

You're saying you will only pack up when you need to, but then you say you *won't* pack up for certain situations. Are you saying that a car fire, dumpster fire, or roof work will never be an IDLH atmosphere where you have to pack up?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

I pack up for just about everything, go on air as needed.
    Dumpsters-yes
    Autos-most cases
    Been to car fires and never needed air, been to grass fires, thought I was going to die...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

So PFD.... the only bad smoke is "really burning structure smoke" ?

Cleaning chemicals in the dumpster don't bother ya? All the plastics in the car or the rolling meth lab in the trunk doesn't bother ya? Just that light smoke from the mostly synthetic couch burning not a concern??

Hope ya can still breathe fine when you're 65.

I'm amazed how cavalier some of the guys are here with "just taking in a little smoke". Guess I'm not old school enough, even though I have been around longer than a lot of these kids posting, to take in smoke when I have protection available. I wonder why some departments even have these new fangled pain in the arse airpack gizmos since they seem to be used so little.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 05-03-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    You're saying you will only pack up when you need to, but then you say you *won't* pack up for certain situations. Are you saying that a car fire, dumpster fire, or roof work will never be an IDLH atmosphere where you have to pack up?
    That is correct. I wont pac up for a car fire, dumpster fire and sure as hell wont wear a pac on the roof. Get over it. It was a question, I answered it. This whole IDLH thing is funny. Hell, my local is an IDLH for most of you.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

But more importantly we found that it helps convince occupants to take CO alarms seriously.

ROFLMAO...

I just had this picture in my head of a new way to convince a patient who is being "difficult" that they really should go to the hospital...fake some kind of a reading, leave the room, come back from the Rescue wearing an AirPack & Tyvek suit, "No, Seriously, you really need to go..."

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

You know it, a transport is $275!!! Gotta give the medics something to do, might as well try and fund a raise. LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck18
    This whole IDLH thing is funny. Hell, my local is an IDLH for most of you.

Brother I love this line!!!!!!!!!!!
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

How do you explain to the brother or civilian hanging out of the window that you could'nt lower a rope to them from the roof because you had to climb back down to change your cylinder???????

OH wait I have to stop cutting the roof! I'm out of air!

Chicago:

We don't either.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

sure as hell wont wear a pac on the roof.
    Wondering what your reasoning is for this. Could you explain?

To each his own, but I like my lungs and would like to keep them healthy. I wear a pack on every car fire, and any smoke condition beyond food on the stove in a structure. I am usually the last one to remove his pack during overhaul. I don't find it that uncomfortable. I'd rather leave the mask on than cough, have my eyes tear up, and get dirt and insulation in my facepiece.

Forum Member

We dont wear pacs on the roof due to multiple reasons. Now im sure there are some of you who will say they can cut a hole just as well, just as fast, and stay just as steady with a pac. To that I will just say Im sure there are also some here that will say they have no problem leaning off the side of a dwelling popping windows with a hook with an extra 30 pounds on your back, again We also rarely wear pacs while venting from ladders. Only time im on a ladder with a pac is when im entering a heavily charged room. If im just popping the window, the pac isnt needed.

This really is a rehashed topic. Some will wear pacs to a rubbish fire, some wont wear pacs no matter how charged the dwelling is. Fact is, when I am wearing a pac, that still doesnt mean im on air. I tend to practice air management. I will push as far as I can (remember that whole stay low thing) and when I cant make it any futher, I go on air. 20 mins later when some guys are "taking it outside " im still working.

You do what you do, I do what I do. Im comming to get you if need be, and I will trust that the feeling is mutual.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

for us it is:
    car fires-Yes
    AFA-yes -not on air unless conditions are reported
    Dumpster-officer discretion
    Structures-yes ..........
    Overhaul-depends on the CO, but usually no
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I wear mine when I'm running hose on calls we have,when it comes to structure fires I'll mask up at the door.I use to only wear it on structure fires not dumpster,cars etc.until one day a few years ago we were washing the truck from a call and the truck was just covered with soot and it took forever to scrub it off and I sat there and thought I've been breathing this sh@# in my lungs for all these years and that's not very cool so I wear it alot more than I use to.BE SAFE!!

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Smoke Smoke Smoke

-------------
    Last edited by firefighter7160; 11-15-2007 at 11:10 PM.

That is correct. I wont pac up for a car fire, dumpster fire and sure as hell wont wear a pac on the roof. Get over it. It was a question, I answered it. This whole IDLH thing is funny. Hell, my local is an IDLH for most of you.
    Thats all well and good, but here SCBA is not optional equipment. You dont have to be "on air" but the SBCA will be on your back for ALL fires. I dont agree with it per say (ie brush fires), but I dont make the rules.

And its not just fires that it is required. Pretty much any fire-type cal (alarms, CO, gas leaks, odor checks), with the exception of wires down, is an SCBA call.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Talking

100 feet from the smoke. Ok then so what do you do when your face piece fogs up enroute? I mask up at the door this way I can talk to crew before entering. if you pull a line to the rear with a mask on for residental fire how much air could you possibly have duirng your fire fight or primary when it is needed most. Now I dont agree with not having a pack on while on the roof but I can also see y you wouldnt want one on. Your taught to cut on the upside of the wind on a pitched roof so smoke is going away from you. Your also taught to vent then get the hell off the roof. I vent windows with the ladder that way its ready for a VEST or bail.I always wear a pack but not on air until I need it. Brush fires no I dont wear em.
    Agian Im sure that all you career and volunteer who arrive on trucks you dont leave the jump seat wihtout your SCBA thats if one is in your seat.On air or not its probally on your back so y on earth wouldnt u use it when the air is no good? Car fires have been know to kill firefighters dead on the spot from the biproducts.
    Last edited by JAFA62; 05-04-2006 at 06:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Scba or no Scba

Everyone is responsible for their health, if you are too concerned over the weight and how cumbersome the pack is, maybe you should rethink your position on the fire dept. With todays fires and the amount of chemicals in them it is a good idea to wear you pack on every fire, regardless of how small it is. Yes it is user discretion and according to the sog's in place. I wear mine on every fire call, except for brush fires. My lungs are too important to me to not have my pack on or to be able to go on air. As for the mask, we mask up in the front yard or on the way to the call. Even if we are in rescue mode we pack up period. No discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by darkoc1
    Everyone is responsible for their health, if you are too concerned over the weight and how cumbersome the pack is, maybe you should rethink your position on the fire dept.
    If you are that scared of smoke, maybe you should rethink your position on the fire dept.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Oh for the love of God! Could this topic get more silly...

I have seen in this topic:

Masking up before you get off the rig
    Breathing off the tank 100 feet from the smoke
    Mask on breathing air before you even get off the truck

How far will this silliness escalate? Perhaps you should have scba on and breathing air as the rig is backed into the station before the Plymovent is hooked up. Perhaps the firehouse cook should be on air when using the station grill, whether it is gas or charcoal. Oh my GOD!!! We should be masked up when we do station duties because of the toilet bowl cleaner and disinfectants...they are after all chemicals that may be hazardous to our health.

Look wear you mask when you feel it is appropriate but don't try to push your silly rules on me.

You will never convince me to put my face piece on before I leave the rig...I can see better and operate faster outside the hot zone without the mask on and mask up in seconds before I enter.

You will never convince me that maskin up and going on air 100 feet away from the fire is necessasry. Give me that air for use inside the structure. Not outside where it is still clear.

AS for getting off the rig breathing air...I can't help but just shake my head at this one. WHY? Why waste air outside the danger area stretching lines or retrieving ladders or whatever? Unless you have one hour bottles (another foolishness in my humble opinion) how much time can you realistically have for interior work? I would hazard a guess of 10 minutes or less.

All I can say is wow...safety of course....silliness in the name of safety...never.

FyredUp

Thread Information