Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Forum Member

[QUOTE=ehs7554]Okay.....

3)100 yds.....We pull to the front my friend...maybe 40ft most of the time to entry on a signle family dwelling.
    6) Bring it.....RAIN,SNOW,HAIL,TORNADOS ,HOT,COLD and a ton of humidity.
    QUOTE]

I have a couple of questions for you ehs7554.
    1. I assume you are on an engine company and not a truck. Is that correct?
    2. Have you never had to walk a 100 yards to an apt building or because you were 2nd or 3rd due?
    3. Do you all use some special kind of anti-fog spray on your mask, because here in NC we have all of that rain,snow,hail,tornados,hot,co ld, a ton of humidity and add hurricanes?

I would like to see you all walking around the scene wearing your masks while carrying ladders or coming up the street because you weren't first due. By the way what dept. do you work for. Also I did get the point that you are saying that you don't always wear your mask coming off the truck, but that you have in the past. We have great company officers as well, but they still might not see everything.Whats to say that after they have done their walk around that someone doesn't show up at a window for just that brief few seconds and you missed it because you couldn't see them through that mask? That is why it is important for you to have an unobstructed view of the building before you go in. If put that mask on in the truck, adjust the straps, take it off and let it swing. Then you can put it back on pretty damn quick as you are walking through the front door or going up to the second floor because there is no smoke on the first.

7) 9 times out of 10 you give me a typical house fire, that we are 100% sure we will be making an attack.....I will have my mask on and ready to go while most are kneeling on the front porch getting theirs on with their gloves to go on next. Remeber...I am not on air yet......And BTW Turd's dept uses 45 min bottles so, even if he goes on air comming off the rig, he will stilll be in there longer than most on 30 min bottles.

45 minute bottles if i remember correctly.....You have 16 minutes of "working" air, 9 for escape.....

30 minute.....means 9 minutes for woking, 6 for escape..........

I Never have the face piece on stepping off.....never meet or heard of anyone on my job that ever did......you will miss way to much in these parts.....and forget about it at night....I could pretty much garuntee that a Senior man would "remind" a brother on what he should be doing.

It takes only a few moments to put mask up.....these days we are all taught how to do it with our gloves on at probie school....it takes a few seconds with our method.....the air is already on...so all you do is slap the thing over your head and away you go......and trust me....as a nozzle man or a back-up man for that tour...God HELP anyone who thinks they are going to put thier hands on our nozzle.....it ain't happening.

Here....most of the time the 1st due Door and Control will not mask up....they will try to conserve thier air as much as possible, in the event the nozzle team gets beat up so much that the Door and Control will have to move up and.....on few occations the 2nd Due Engine mask up...but that all depends on whats happening.
    Last edited by VinnieB; 05-09-2006 at 11:03 PM.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Okay, okay you've got me. You have given me plenty to think about for when I make Lieutenant. Though I have not had any significant obstruction while wearing my mask, and have had not problems sizing up as of yet, your reasons for not masking in the rig (most of them) make sense. I still don't think it is wrong, I think it's FF preference, though one may have an advantage over the other.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TurdFergeson
    Okay, okay you've got me. You have given me plenty to think about for when I make Lieutenant. Though I have not had any significant obstruction while wearing my mask, and have had not problems sizing up as of yet, your reasons for not masking in the rig (most of them) make sense. I still don't think it is wrong, I think it's FF preference, though one may have an advantage over the other.
    That is my point: It shouldn't be up to the individual firefighter. Period. This ought to be basic training. This is firefighter survival stuff. The best way to survive is to not get trapped. There is too much to lose and a lot to gain from slowing down taking a look around and picking up the little details. This BS bravado, of 30 seconds and in doesn't do anyone any good if you or anyone misses a collapse indicator or a victim in a window, etc. You cannot put all your faith in someone else(Capt/Lt/BC), everyday and expect to not get bit. You don't have to wait to be a LT to slow down and do a better size-up. No, EHS7554, no front lawn huddle, just a methodical looking around at the building and the surroundings.

Try this: do a little drill with some guys. Make half wear their masks before getting off the BRT and half without. Let thm pull a line and walk to the front door. Then ask them what they can tell you about the scene, as much as possible. Then switch and try again on another building. I'm willing to try it in a few weeks when we do roll-up live fire training in 8 "shotgun shacks". That is if I can convince the safety officer that its not to dangerous to have firefighters masked up before exiting. (no, I get it - not on air)

Speed is not everything, it is just another factor that when not used in moderation will create more risk than reward. Slow down smell the burning roses!

MembersZone Subscriber

I work on a Quint that typically functions as a truck at many of our scenes. I have never in 3 different dept's, 1 vollie and 2 paid ever had to walk 100yds to a bldg. I have been in highrise or midrise situations where the mask went on when the smoke got thick. I said on a single family dwelling if we are going to be going to work, then why not have it on and ready? I guess I have lost this one. PS I have seen guys from all 3 dept do pre arrival donning. Okay maybe not at night, but then how many times have I seen guys in many depts stand outside masked and on air when (defensive firefighting) shooting water from the lawn.........sounds like they could get hurt too and not see all goin on from the outside.....booo....frickin hoooo.......I could go on and on but ......hell with it... I give up......
    Last...we have Highrises,Heavy Industry(automotive and manufacturing), one of the lergest rail systems in the country, pro sports, and one of the most violent cities per capita in the US.

Well, at least the basements are safe............

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not sure why I am defending this mute subject that has got me all stirred up......I don't wear one at car fires so now what do I do?? For those that do wear masks for car fires, do you get off the rig first with it on or off? I mean there it is in an open parking lot just burning away.......................... .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. .............................. .......

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firescueguy
    RFDACM...a question regarding that dept. you mentioned that wears masks on the way to the scene...do they pull a lot of multiple alarms for their fires??? Reason I ask is that I would guess they pass the fire often times (seeing through a fogged up mask is kinda hard while trying to drive a BRT... ) causing the fire to spread while they backtrack to the scene...
    You know, they do get like 4 towns on automatic aid for all structures and we always wondered why. You've got the answer! In fact one of the auto aid companies almost always beats them in! Now we know why! We run second due ladder to their "Downtown" boxes on auto aid so most of the time we get to listen to the sound of Charlie Brown's mother doing a size-up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554
    Last...we have Highrises,Heavy Industry(automotive and manufacturing), one of the lergest rail systems in the country, pro sports, and one of the most violent cities per capita in the US.
    Sounds like another reason to slow down, hold on the mask and take a looksey! Never know whats lurking in the dark.

From me,
    To ehs7554;
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 05-09-2006 at 10:12 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Thanks pal!

No worries-a little light humor to get things on track!
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM
    That is my point: It shouldn't be up to the individual firefighter. Period. This ought to be basic training. This is firefighter survival stuff. The best way to survive is to not get trapped. There is too much to lose and a lot to gain from slowing down taking a look around and picking up the little details. This BS bravado, of 30 seconds and in doesn't do anyone any good if you or anyone misses a collapse indicator or a victim in a window, etc. You cannot put all your faith in someone else(Capt/Lt/BC), everyday and expect to not get bit. You don't have to wait to be a LT to slow down and do a better size-up. No, EHS7554, no front lawn huddle, just a methodical looking around at the building and the surroundings.

Try this: do a little drill with some guys. Make half wear their masks before getting off the BRT and half without. Let thm pull a line and walk to the front door. Then ask them what they can tell you about the scene, as much as possible. Then switch and try again on another building. I'm willing to try it in a few weeks when we do roll-up live fire training in 8 "shotgun shacks". That is if I can convince the safety officer that its not to dangerous to have firefighters masked up before exiting. (no, I get it - not on air)

Speed is not everything, it is just another factor that when not used in moderation will create more risk than reward. Slow down smell the burning roses!
    Yes, I do have to wait until I become a LT because right now am the Apparatus Operator. And dude, I said I saw your points. I conceded, and yet I am still getting lectured by the mask police.

MembersZone Subscriber

mask police.
    LMAO Now isn't that the truth.

"Mask 1 to central we have illegal pre donning of the mask going on..
    ...looks like he just went on air now and is 20 ft from the door.."

later..
    "Really officer I only took 4 breaths before going in"

"Skip it son..you're done here"

next time on "COPS..MASK PATROL"

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Yes, I do have to wait until I become a LT because right now am the Apparatus Operator. And dude, I said I saw your points. I conceded, and yet I am still getting lectured by the mask police.
    Sorry, while we often address each other here, I've never seen this as a one-on-one. I genearally get something out of all the banter, whether I'm involved or not. I assume others don't skip posts "not addressed to them."

Forum Member

DO YOU RESPOND TO FIRES? Then read this...

It looks like there MAY be no big mystery in this situation...it MAY be the SMOKE. The same smoke we all have breathed-even "just a little". Only in this case, an alert Dr. decided to test the firefighters for cyanide....just in case. So while, in this case, it is not yet conclusive...it may very well be the SMOKE...today's smoke: which is almost always loaded with cyanide. Your smoke. Our smoke. And we know the solution.

***Information from "The Secret List"-Billy G***

I have to confess, I should be ticketed by the mask police- 4 hours, 400,000 gallons of water and not 1 second on air. I'm a bad boy...
    George Mason

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking lmao

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum
    I have to confess, I should be ticketed by the mask police- 4 hours, 400,000 gallons of water and not 1 second on air. I'm a bad boy...
    No your a outside firefighter, and your gear will never have to be replaced..lol

Forum Member

Exclamation be safe

Any call involving anything that I don't want to breathe, I pack up. 99 times out of 100 I don't need the air, but it is there if I need it. Car fires, smoke detector activations, CO alarms, even an odor of a stinky diaper. The stuff emitted from smoke today is not the same...namely in the form of hydrogen cyanide. Cyanide = bad and I don't want to breathe it. If someone else doesn't pack up because it is not necessarily our SOP, that is fine by me. But, if any new probies ask me, I tell them it doesn't hurt to pack up, so stop being a lazy pig and throw the damn pack on. If we don't use them, what makes you think supervisors/mayors, etc will buy new stuff? For those who don't, again, I am not an officer and it is not my place to scream a yell at someone at a detector activation for not wearing a pack, but it is also not their place to scream and carry on like a banshee if I pack up for a pot of hotdogs.

Forum Member

Red face Clarification

As far as masking up, I usually only mask up if the air condition warrants. For example, if a pot of meat is causing thick black snotty smoke, then yes. But, I do keep the pack on as much as possible. Sorry for being a novice and not reading all posts first!
    Seltz

Forum Member

Was reading through a bunch of the posts and was amazed there are still guys out there that are worried about what others will think. Laughing at someone who is wearing an SCBA - give your head a shake. You are not wearing the SCBA for others but for your own protection. Many of the hazards may not affect you today or tomorrow but many years later. Wonder why the cancer rate is higher among fire fighters. One comment was that you should wear it when the environment is IDLH, the only way you can determine that is with air monitoring and I do not hear of to many fire fighters taking in an air monitors. Wear the PPE and be protected and you wonít have to worry about what the environmental hazards are.

Stay safe.

Thread Information