Forum Member

Question Whats the best route?

Im a freshman in college, and it has recently become aparent to me that Firefighting is what I want to do with the rest of my life. The question I have is what is the best way to get there? I feel I have 3 options right now.

1. Stay at my current 4 year college. I am currently going to a small liberal arts school in Ohio that offers nothing in the area of fire or emergency services. I do however have connections with one of the local volunteer departments which provides both fire and ems. I am getting my EMT-B this summer and cheif says that I should be able to start volunteering when I get back to school. I would be able to complete my current degree(poli-sci or econ) as well as gaining things like FF1/2, hasmat, ect durring my summers. When I graduate, there would also be oppertunities to get my EMT-P certification.

2. My other option would be to transfer to another school for fire science. To be honest I would be alot happier studying things related to my carrer, but on the other hand I might not be able to volunteer, and it might take longer to get a degree being that alot of the courses ive taken in college already would not be used towards my major. I would like to get a Bachelors and im not shure of any schools in OH that offer a 4 year degree in fire science.

3. My 3rd option is to enlist in either the army or the airforce with Firefighter in my contract. This would gain me extra points on exams, as well as training and experience.

Whats the best route to take to achieve my goals? Keep in mind that paying for school is not an issue(thank God!!)
    Last edited by BFunk09; 05-02-2006 at 06:03 PM.

Forum Member

Default RE:Whats the best route?

I would say stick with getting your EMT B and start to volunteer ASAP. Thats were you get the experience. You dont need the experience to get hired but it could help. You should apply for the Columbus, OH postion. They are looking to hire alot. Good luck and dont give up. It can get very hard at times.

Forum Member

Lightbulb Best Route???

Military....MILITARY....MiLiTaRy....yratilim...

Look at this word.... look at it close... study it... now look again....

Also "cidemarap" would'nt hurt either....
    Last edited by cb1776; 05-02-2006 at 08:02 PM.

Forum Member

start taking tests now because it can take years to get hired but stay in school, volunteer, get EMT. If you don't get a job when you finish school then go military.

Forum Member

Talking

Applied to Columbus online tonight! Figured what the heck, might as well get started now...

MembersZone Subscriber

Stay in school and earn your 4 year degree. If possible enroll in an EMT program and become a volunteer.

Whatever you do STAY IN SCHOOL AND EARN YOUR DEGREE. It will help you immensely down the road.

Good luck,
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

It seems that you are in a similar situation as me. I am just finishing my freshman year in college with a major in Golf & Facilities Mgmt and a minor in Fire Service Mgmt. I know that what i want to do for a career is be a paid firefighter. Right now I am a volunteer firefighter in my hometown in NJ, and I have been doing it for 2 years. I have been taking every test that I get a chance to take, such as any in NJ, as well as in MD and AZ (I go to ASU). I am aware of the possibly long process it takes to become a career FF, so i am testing as much as i can while in the mean time working towards my degree. It is definately the way to go if you can afford it.

It has come across my mind many times to join the army and do firefighting. I am thinking about joining the reserves or guard, but that is mainly to pay tuition (Unfortunately my parents are cutting me off and i dont want to have to get a loan). If I am not hired by the time I graduate college, I will most likely enlist as a firefighter, but hopefully I will be hired by then. Hopefully!

Also, if you have the chance or time, go for your paramedic cert. I know it is a long process, so it may not be feasable during school, but I dont know your situation. You will be Golden if you have your Medic. Definately get your EMT-B, though, it is very important. I got it a year ago, and I am going to go for my Medic whenever I find the time.

Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Now I heard everything....a golf degree?

Golf isn't even a sport.

Do you know where I can get a degree in fishing?

Sorry I couldn't resist!

Forum Member

Paul...lay off golf. You should come up here to Idaho and get your degree in BASS 101.
    Dud

Forum Member

Thumbs up To BFunk09

Hi Bfunk here is my advice to you. I went through a program in high school that I was able to receive my 240 and EMT-B before I graduated high school and begin firefighting as soon as I graduated. Fortunately I went to college and earned my associates degree related to firefighting but stopped there because I knew that Firefighting is what I wanted to do. I should have kept going and earned a bachelors degree. So the bottom line is, stay in school and get your degree, UNRELATED to firefighting or EMS. The only exception to that is if you can get a degree in Paramedic. Paramedics are what everyone needs and wants and that is just as important as a degree. I would still get a bachelors degree in something else.

Here are the reasons. First you need to decide where you would like to work as a firefighter. This means do you want to work for a large city; Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland, or do you just want to be a firefighter anywhere no matter what the size of the department. If you work for one of those larger cities about the only time there going to require a degree related to firefighting is when you were going for a job with the title of "chief" in it. That's a lot of years down the road for you. And here is the better option. When the time comes that you may decide to go get a degree related to firefighting or EMS, most departments have tuition reimbursement programs that they will actually pay for you to go earn your degrees. So this brings up one of my reasons for getting a degree unrelated to firefighting. The other reason and probably more important reason is you will have something to fall back on and do if one you get injured and can't work as a firefighter anymore or two you decide down the road that firefighting just isn't for you.

Also I forgot to mention the smaller departments do not care what degree you have, they'll just see you have a degree and it will make you stand out and look better compared to those that don't.

If you can't wait to become a firefighter I would also look into getting certifications in weekend classes. This might be a little too much work with being in college but it may be an option you might want to look into if you really want to be some sort of firefighter now.

The Military is a great option for you if you are determined to work for a big city department and no where else. Most cities give veterans points and if you take columbus' test you will see how competitive it is to get hired with a big city. Those veterans points will be invaluable come time that you are testing. Also the military may help pay for some of your college even though you said paying is not an issue.

I'm going to guess you are 18 or 19 years of age being in your freshman year. Let me tell you, your age will hurt you with many smaller departments. Since I was able to start firefighting at such a young age I was attempting at jobs as soon as I could. I can count 5 jobs that I was considered for the job but I was either too young for the city's age limits or they were not comfortable hiring someone at that young age. I finally was able to get my first full-time job at 21. That would be your final year of college if you are 18 now.

I know this post is long so I'll summarize in case you got bored.

1. Stay in College!
    2. Get a degree now in a field you are interested UNRELATED to firefighting.(Unless it's Paramedic) still get an Unrelated Bachelors.
    3. Look into the military and them paying for your education, it will help you A LOT with the big cities.
    4. Look into weekend classes for your certifications (EMT, FF1 and FF2).
    5. Start testing now as much as possible. Learn to interview, learn the written tests, your scores will slowly get higher with each test you take.
    6. Look into firefighting and make sure it's the career you want. It's not all about fighting fires anymore. Most of what we do is EMS even in all the big cities. There can be a lot of downtime as well which can bore some people. Just FYI.

One final thing, the University of Cincinnati does have a Four year Fire Science Degree. But if you follow my advice that won't matter

Forum Member

KarnyKid, Thank you for the great post! As an FYI im 20 years old, I think thats why im a little impatient, I see other kids my age already doing this and think I am wasting my time getting a degree that is unrelated. But your post calmed alot of that impatience.

As for fire shifting to more of an EMS focus, the only side of emergency services ive been able to actually see firsthand is EMS. Ive functioned as a first responder for the campus security for the past year, and this also alowed me to act as an extra set of hands when I went on ride alongs with the Fire dept. I really like doing EMS, but from knowing me id probably like fire even more, so its a win win situation.

Part of the reason im volunteering is to see if this is really something I want to spend the rest of my life doing, but from what ive seen I wouldnt be happy doing anything else. As for the downtime, you mean I get paid to sleep and watch TV? lol, I dont think it will bother me, part of thing I liked when I went on ride alongs was just hanging out with the guys at the station.

Again thanks for the excelent advice sofar.

Forum Member

Default Truckee 434 response

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee434
    It seems that you are in a similar situation as me. I am just finishing my freshman year in college with a major in Golf & Facilities Mgmt and a minor in Fire Service Mgmt. I know that what i want to do for a career is be a paid firefighter. Right now I am a volunteer firefighter in my hometown in NJ, and I have been doing it for 2 years. I have been taking every test that I get a chance to take, such as any in NJ, as well as in MD and AZ (I go to ASU). I am aware of the possibly long process it takes to become a career FF, so i am testing as much as i can while in the mean time working towards my degree. It is definately the way to go if you can afford it.

It has come across my mind many times to join the army and do firefighting. I am thinking about joining the reserves or guard, but that is mainly to pay tuition (Unfortunately my parents are cutting me off and i dont want to have to get a loan). If I am not hired by the time I graduate college, I will most likely enlist as a firefighter, but hopefully I will be hired by then. Hopefully!

Also, if you have the chance or time, go for your paramedic cert. I know it is a long process, so it may not be feasable during school, but I dont know your situation. You will be Golden if you have your Medic. Definately get your EMT-B, though, it is very important. I got it a year ago, and I am going to go for my Medic whenever I find the time.

Good Luck
    Truckee434,

I saw your response above, as I am in the same boat. I also go to ASU - currently a sophomore and microbiomajor. ASU has a fire service managment program??? and golf management???? I had no idea -let me know where you got that, please. Also, I'll be transferring to Grand Canyon University next year - about 30 minutes up the road from ASU. They offer a degree in Public Safety - most of which seems to be online courses. Thus, if you wanted to take your I and II with PVCC or GCC, you could swing something like that - Furthermore, Southwest Ambo hires EMTs right and left - they'll put you through medic school as well. Something to consider -

- Kyle

Forum Member

If someone else is paying, for god's sake, finish the 4year degree.
    Do you know how many Lieutenants, Captain's, and Chiefs are unable to write a paragraph without using spell-check?
    Or how few can analyze a spread sheet?
    Or can actually communicate with other "professionals" and not use profanties?
    The future of the fire service leadership positions will see more highly educated professionals.
    Sorry to all who see this as a bad thing, but it's the truth.

Good Luck!

Forum Member

Haha....I wish they had a degree in hunting or fishing, I would have taken that instead.

Just to clarify it is more of a business oriented program. LOL.

I definitely agree with Carny. I was thinking about becoming a cop, so I talked to the Chief of police in the town I am from, who happens to be a good friend of mine. Aside from telling me to become a firefighter, he really encouraged me to get my degree in something other than criminal justice, or in your case fire science. He said that they look for well-rounded people that can do more than put the wet stuff on the red stuff or arrest a bad guy. Regardless of major, having a degree is very important. Especially if you want to progress in life, and the fire department as well. It is one of those things that you will look back and be glad you did.

Also, I know that I want to be a firefighter. I have been a volunteer for over 2 years, and I know that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. But just because it is what I want to do, doesn’t me that is what I am going to do. God forbid I get hurt or something happens that prohibits me from being a firefighter, I will have my degree to fall back on. Also, it will help in finding work when you graduate, just in case you are not on the job yet.

AZCadet,

Yes ASU has a Fire Service Mgmt program, but I believe that you need to get your associates in fire sci first from a community college. You can do what I am doing, taking random FSM classes, and eventually get a certificate. This semester I took FSM 425, an online course.

While I would recommend getting your degree in something other than fire service mgmt., it is your choice. I would wait to get on the job before committing myself to something like that. I noticed that almost all of the people in my class that were working towards their degrees were already on the job, with most of them being Captains or higher.

Thanks for bringing that Southwest puts you through Medic school. I am definitely going to look into that for next semester. I wanted to get on a bus anyway, but if they put me through Medic school then that would be awesome.

-Joe

Forum Member

Haha....I wish they had a degree in hunting or fishing, I would have taken that instead.

Just to clarify it is more of a business oriented program. LOL.

I definitely agree with Carny. I was thinking about becoming a cop, so I talked to the Chief of police in the town I am from, who happens to be a good friend of mine. Aside from telling me to become a firefighter, he really encouraged me to get my degree in something other than criminal justice, or in your case fire science. He said that they look for well-rounded people that can do more than put the wet stuff on the red stuff or arrest a bad guy. Regardless of major, having a degree is very important. Especially if you want to progress in life, and the fire department as well. It is one of those things that you will look back and be glad you did.

Also, I know that I want to be a firefighter. I have been a volunteer for over 2 years, and I know that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. But just because it is what I want to do, doesn’t me that is what I am going to do. God forbid I get hurt or something happens that prohibits me from being a firefighter, I will have my degree to fall back on. Also, it will help in finding work when you graduate, just in case you are not on the job yet.

AZCadet,

Yes ASU has a Fire Service Mgmt program, but I believe that you need to get your associates in fire sci first from a community college. You can do what I am doing, taking random FSM classes, and eventually get a certificate. This semester I took FSM 425, an online course.

While I would recommend getting your degree in something other than fire service mgmt., it is your choice. I would wait to get on the job before committing myself to something like that. I noticed that almost all of the people in my class that were working towards their degrees were already on the job, with most of them being Captains or higher.

Thanks for bringing that Southwest puts you through Medic school. I am definitely going to look into that for next semester. I wanted to get on a bus anyway, but if they put me through Medic school then that would be awesome.

-Joe
    Joe,
    I won't be going for the MA in fire service management unless I get on the Job. This is strictly Public Safety, B.S. I'll be finishing up my pre-med requirements as well (O-chem II, and Physics), thus, I'll be falling back on that for med school or grad school if something comes up. I believe you have to be on Southwest for 9-12 months before you can interview for medic school. Just FYI. You can also try PMT and there are a few other ambo companies. Are you taking Glendale's test???
    -Kyle

Forum Member

No, I won't be taking Glendale's test, but my friend that I moved out here with from Jersey is. Did you take Phoenix's test? I didn't take it this year but I took it last year, and I passed the written & physical, so I have been waiting for my interview. I didn't do too hot on the written, I barely passed, so that is most likely why I haven't been called in for an interview by now.

Thanks for the heads up on SW. Either way I think that I am going to try and get on a bus somewhere, and if they put me through medic school then all the better.

-Joe

Forum Member

Yes, I took Phoenix's test. First testing experience I've ever had, it was very very overwhelming. I got there 1 hour before the exam, and was about 150th in line. 15 minutes later there was at least 500 more people that showed up. It was insane. I'm taking Glendale's test, as that's my home town and where I have been a cadet at for some time.

My friend Aaron just finished third round interviews on last year's Phoenix test, but didnt get it. He got a second, but no phone call. He was third round, so I'm assuming you're fourth round. Best of luck at interview time.

Yes, SW is definitely something to check out. Check out PMT as well.

Good luck with the rest of your finals, trip home, etc.

- Kyle
    No, I won't be taking Glendale's test, but my friend that I moved out here with from Jersey is. Did you take Phoenix's test? I didn't take it this year but I took it last year, and I passed the written & physical, so I have been waiting for my interview. I didn't do too hot on the written, I barely passed, so that is most likely why I haven't been called in for an interview by now.

Thanks for the heads up on SW. Either way I think that I am going to try and get on a bus somewhere, and if they put me through medic school then all the better.

-Joe

Thread Information