Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Photo to add to your training collection...

Of places not to have a meeting in the field

Fortunately, it doesn't look like any firefighters were involved in the conference going on.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/...0502005&Ref=AR

Forum Member

I do believe that is about the last place you would find me standing at that scene. I guess that would ensure a quick meeting though
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

Alllllllrighty Then.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Don't forget that certain lenses will compress an image for "depth"..... Just food for thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    Don't forget that certain lenses will compress an image for "depth"..... Just food for thought.

Good Point.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

It sure looks like a utility lineman or two standing there so I would be willing to bet that power is off.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Hallooooooo.

That musta been a BUStard of a scene to deal with.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    It sure looks like a utility lineman or two standing there so I would be willing to bet that power is off.
    The power may be off, but I bet if that pole hits them in the head it will still hurt (hard hat or not)!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Again, I have full confidence in the utiltiy crews to know where it is safe to stand and where to avoid. I agree the pictures is comical but in reality, i doubt any of them are in any danger at all.

Forum Member

Simplest answer to NM's assumptions:

Risk a little to save a little.

There is nothing for these Troopers and whoever the other guys are to be doing that needs them to put themselves in that position.

You have hazards ranging from the physical of something shifting, snapping, etc. To electrical -- those wires aren't grounded as far as can be seen in the photo, so are presumed to be live.

If there was work that needed to be done -- people on the bus needing to be evacuated for instance -- get the job done with care.

Once the situation is stable from a public safety point of view, don't become complacent. The only people who need to enter that hot zone at that point is lineman with a bucket truck to ground the lines, and a boom truck to stabilize the pole.

Whatever troopers, tow truck drivers, mechanics from the bus company, local firefighters helping direct traffic, electrical workers, etc need to talk about can be done some where else.

I agree completley, however the lack of a visible ground in the picture doesn't mean it isn't de-energized and grounded. It might be de-energized and grounded a mile down the road. I agree standing directly under it to BS over coffee isn't very bright, but as someone else mentioned, camera lenses to funny things. I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt here, thats all.

Forum Member

Ok, here's an interesting question in my mind that's coming from this discussion (aimed at anyone...not just NM):

What where you taught as a rule-of-thumb to leave as a safe distance from damaged poles or wires when you're just "standing by?"

LOL...THEFIRENUT..I had one fall on my hand out in our pole yard at work last week...That hurt like an SOB...So I can imagine what it would do if it fell on your damn head..
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

I as well would not be standing there, I would have at least gotten closer to the shoulder so it didn't bump me on the noggin if it did fall..perhaps they were talking about the donut selection at Krispy Kreme.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Due to zooming issues, they might not be under the leaning pole, but they are very clearly and obviously in the line of fire if the next pole nearer the camera (which is under obvious stresses) gives way, flinging the conductors between poles into their midst. Those things ain't piano wire, they'll leave a nice mark if not broken bones.

Looks like at least one lineman in that picture, but given how many oopsie photos of firefighters we see on this forum you can bet that linemen have a few oopsie photo ops, too.

Doesn't seem to be any reason that they couldn't have this little kum-by-ya session on the other side of the street.
    Last edited by RLFD14; 05-03-2006 at 09:48 PM.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Two intact poles away from the problem until the utility confirms the lines are de-energized and grounded.

Did anybody notice those guys in the middle don't even have vests on? How unsafe is THAT???

RULE:
    When somebody takes your picture at a call, it will be posted all over the internet.

RULE II:
    When your picture appears on the internet, somebody from the East Bumbleflock VFD will almost immediately get on there and tell everybody how you're doing it ALL WRONG.

RULE THREE:
    The past president of the Upper Handjab Vol. Rescue Squad will come on and immediately agree w/ #2, stating that, while he's never actually DONE a call like that, he has attended SEVERAL classes on the subject, and he can plainly see that you didn't do it anything like his training.

Looking at the photo again, I can tell by those guys' postures that they're standing around nitpicking some other town's call like a bunch of old ladies.

Actually, maybe there's hope for us after all. At least this thread had several guys reminding others that this 1/16 of a second captured by a lens might not be the same as being there.

To quote my own signature, which sums up my feelings on the whole armchair quaterbacking:

"Fire fighting isn't dangerous, getting your picture posted on Firehouse.com is..."
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

As long as the line is de engergized, the only danger you are in is being the tallest guy there, cuz the pole will hit you first!
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Thread Information