MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default I'm Confused On Something - Law Related

I've been sort of following the reports of the John Allen Muhammad trial in Maryland, and the latest report has a statement from a potential jury member who says:
    "He's already been sentenced to death in Virginia," said Joyce Alcorn, who was excused from the jury pool. "Why would you want to waste your money? I don't get it."
    After having read through many of the recent news bits, I think I am in agreement. This seems like a very large waste of taxpayer money, and court time.

If any of you guys who are lawyers or work directly with the legal system have thoughts or direction as to why this is, give me a shout. I'm interested to learn.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well you can think of it as insurance. Governors and legal systems have been known to do stupider things.

Plus there is probably some publicity and pride in another "Big Case" getting solved and fully prosecuted. Resume builders for a politically aspiring DA for sure.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell
    Well you can think of it as insurance. Governors and legal systems have been known to do stupider things.
    I have to agree. We had a certain governor (cough cough RYAN cough) who took everyone off death row here in Illinois before he left office. They are probably making sure something doesn't happen like that again.

On second thought though, isn't this a federal trial and he would be in federal custody? Just a thought. I could be wrong. If someone knows please tell.

Forum Member

Also prob. an attempt by the Maryland Court System to save face and say "Hey, we got that bastard back for what he did to us." Prob., as stated earlier, a way to insure he keeps his death penalty in case his other one is overturned.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hmm hadn't thought of it that way. And ya, if he appeals the original sentence, we all know how long that can take. (right Mr Baird? )

And I just read through a couple of the other earlier reports. He has placed an appeal though the state Supreme Court.

So I guess this trial does make sense of sorts. The most he will get from Maryland is Life, though.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are a few reasons other than the obvious good PR it gets for the prosecutor:

First, as pointed out, a second conviction is insurance in case the other gets tossed for some reason.

Second, a conviction gets justice for the families of the Maryland victims.

Forum Member

I still say they ought to take him out of his cell the day of his execution,tell him he's getting one last press conference and lead him to the chair or gurney to have it.
    He's on trial again for what he did in Maryland,not Virginia.Each state he is accused of murder in gets a crack at trying him for it,even though Virginia intends to let him test his Faith to Allah and find out if there really WILL be 72 Virginians waiting for him when he gets there.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I should add...

The sniper case goes beyond the metro DC area. They also murdered one woman and severely injured another only a couple of miles from where I am sitting right now. A fingerprint recovered at that crime scene played a big role in identifying Malvo.

If those families want to see them tried here for those crimes, then they should get that day in court.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was aware that they had travelled around a lot, but was thinking (not giving consideration for appeals) that with one solid conviction, was it really necessary to go beyond. But thinking about the appeals process, having the back up seems a good idea. Only thing is, could he appeal any other convictions as well, and really draw this out?

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    I've been sort of following the reports of the John Allen Muhammad trial in Maryland, and the latest report has a statement from a potential jury member who says:

After having read through many of the recent news bits, I think I am in agreement. This seems like a very large waste of taxpayer money, and court time.

If any of you guys who are lawyers or work directly with the legal system have thoughts or direction as to why this is, give me a shout. I'm interested to learn.
    I think the main issue is bringing closure for the families in Maryland.

As others have noted, Virginia families got justice and sentenced him to death. If the VA case is overturned, MD will have a conviction on him and place a retainer.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Thread Information