MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chauffeur Training Programs for towing a trailer

My company is part of the Regional Technical Rescue Team.(TRT) The TRT has several cargo / utility trailers. The trailers contain the technical rescue equipment. The trailers are approx. 8 feet wide and vary from 12 to 20 feet long.

The program will include tow vehicles which range in size from a single axle pick-up truck (EX: Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Checy 3500) , a dual rear wheel pick-up (EX: GMC 3500) up to towing with an fire engine.

The trailers contain alot of heavy equipment and the CGVW are in the area of 20,000 to 25,000 lbs. The training program will include "5th Wheel" type trailers / tow vehicles too.

I am in the process of designing a chauffeur training program for the complete instruction for the operation / towing of the trailers and the tow vehicles.

The training will include all aspects regarding towing the trailer, from the nomenclature, hitches, pre-inspections, connecting the trailer to the tow vehicle, actual towing of the trailer, both local and highway driving and special, weather conditions, proper loading of the trailers, weights, licensing etc.

I am inquiring if any F.D. or emergency service agency has a chauffeur training program, for operation of towing a trailer?

Or, does anyone have info on any private companies which has a training program on towing a trailer?

Also, does any agency have SOP's or SOG's regarding this subject?

You can email any info to me at MCrean@optonline.net

Thank you.

Forum Member

SOG: Trailers will not be towed Code 3.

Too much of a risk of forgetting its back there. We also consider that the crew required to operate the equipment on trailers usually will take longer to assemble than getting the trailer on scene, so no sense in rushing (like having the ambulance show up before the EMT's).

Good luck!
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing that you may want to try is find somebody that drives with trailers for a living. Although somewhat different, getting in touch with somebody that deals with commercial drivers licence training may be helpful, espicially with the inspection end of things. Driving with a trailer is essentially the same weather it's a 12 ft atv trailer or a 53 ft van trailer. The only big difference is in how the tow vehicle and trailer react to each other when you turn the wheel. It's all based on the same principals.

Forum Member

Default Trailer towing in the fire service ..

Brother Im in the EXACT same boat you are. Ive been tasked with trying to find a way to put this together, just like you mentioned. I have the basic noehow, but theyre lookn for sumtin a lil more "instructional". We have everything from 15' up to 40' tri-axles on goosenecks. Where do i look for help???

Dave...

Forum Member

What about using your states curriculum for class A-CDL. It covers pre and post inspections, driving test, parking, backing up, etc.
    Our Dept also has its own emergency vehicle driving sourse, which includes driving ambulances, engines, tillered aerials, straight truck aerials, and goose neck/ 1-tom dually apparatus.
    Sure a class A-CDL might be overkill but its better then being under trained.

Default info

has anyone recently constructed sop's on towing a trailer for there dept and if so how well did they work?

Forum Member

I'm in the process of editing our S.O.G.'s on apparatus operation to include our new trailer. It's a 24' tandem axle that will be towed by any of three F 550 chassis trucks.

The points I'm including so far are: NO code 3, obey all traffic regulations, and each operator passing our department training with it (still working those specifics out). When it was delivered, I overheard one of our guys say, "good thing it's got a stabilizer hitch; wonder if the wheel bearings will stand up to the speeds?"

Red face help

anyone that could help me on this would be great. our dept is also looking for training on trailers. my e-mail is billco12@comcast.net if anyone has anyinfo on this please feel free to email me.

MembersZone Subscriber

The first thing would be teaching everyone the proper methods of hooking the trail up and making sure it's secured....

Thread Information