Forum Member

Question Fire Class near COLUMBUS

Please HELP!

I am looking for a school/fire department that will be holding FF1B 84 hour class within the next 2 months. I live in Cincinnati and do not know much about the Columbus area. Every school that I am finding just do the 240 or are trying to send me to the fire academy. I would like to get my certifications in stages and do not have the $$$ to fork it all out at one time.

If you know please help!

Forum Member

It might be pretty tough to find such a class. From what I've heard, the state is trying to phase out the 84 and 120. I live in NE Ohio, but I'll see what I can find out. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you want to stay local, Cincinnati State is putting on a 1B class in June. It runs from 06/26/06 through 08/28/06. The class meets every Monday, Wednesday from 6p to 10p and Saturdays 8a to 4p. The course is taught by LMFR Assistant Chief Terry Ramsey with adjunct instructors from area departments. If you are interested I would call the school today and get your name on the list.

Butler Tech in Liberty Township is offering Firefighting classes as well... It doesn't look like the have a straight 120 class in the coming months, however you could take the 36hr course followed by the immediate 84 transition. Note the 36hr course starts in 4 days.

I'm not sure if Scarlett Oaks is offering anything soon, but it might be worth a check.

Forum Member

I have information on classes in the Cincinnati area. I am signed up to start May 24th at one of the fire departments East of Cincinnati through Scarlet Oaks . I am going to meet with the other Terry at Little Miami Joint tomorrow to practice the agility test and will talk to him to find out more about that class. It would be better to take a class closer to home so that I do not have a 45 min drive to get to class, but I do not know if I can pass up the $300.00 price for the class.

What I am worried about, is that my Husband may have a job in Columbus and I may be moving within the next month. Nothing is set in stone and I most likely will not move, but I need to get my FF1 certification am just trying to get information now, just in case.

Forum Member

If you are moving to Columbus, you should consider taking the Columbus Fire test. They are taking applications now and if you would be hired, you would be paid to go through the academy. The deadline is May 12 and you can apply online.

http://www.columbusfire.org/Recuritm...%205th,web.pdf

Forum Member

The Wayne Co. Regional Fire Training Facility puts on the 1B course from time to time. Not sure when the next one is scheduled, but you can call 1-330-698-FIRE and leave a message and someone will get back to you. The facility is located north of Apple Creek, OH... that is about 100 miles from Columbus, so that might be a bit of a drive. Anyway, it is another lead for ya.

BTW - http://www.wcfra.com is the Association's website...
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information