Thread: Dispatching RIT

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dispatching RIT

I am doing a little research and would appreciate your input.

Does you department automatically dispatch a RIT/FAST team to a reported structure fire?
    OR do they wait to confirm the fire before dispatching a team?
    OR do they do something different and what is it?

Thanks
    Mike
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mulldog

Does you department automatically dispatch a RIT/FAST team to a reported structure fire?

Thanks
    Mike
    Dispatch a RIT/FAST team to a reported structure fire. They can also be called for other calls when IC wants.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a RIT automatically added to the assignment when we put "All Companies in Service". Our MA covers assignments are also dispatched at the same time.
    A RIT is then dispached for each additional alarm that the fire goes to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dispatch a RIT/FAST team to a reported structure fire. They can also be called for other calls when IC wants.

Yes Bones, I am fully aware you can call a RIT to anything but my question is strictly related to a reported structure fire. What I am looking for is at what time of the incident, of a reported structure fire, does your department dispatch a RIT team. Is it automatic or is it delayed until confirmed.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default PF&R

Portland, OR
    Once a working fire is confirmed ( by caller or initial size up) then an additional engine is called for and assigned RIT. Additional RIT as needed.

MembersZone Subscriber

We usually call for a team after the call comes in. Were in the process of setting up an automatic response but that'll be awhile down the road though. I would rather have them coming and cancell them enroute than get there and have something go south especially with limited personel on the first out trucks,thats my thinking. BE SAFE!!!

Forum Member

Sorry, thought I was choosing one of your answers... in plainer English, it's option A, automatic dispatch on reported structure.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by Mulldog

Thanks
    Mike
    We had the 3rd-in company serve as RIT; if it was a working fire, they were there and deploying. If it wasn't a worker, we didn't have to cancel someone special-called.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

Ours is automatically sent if the first in company ( engine,ladder,rescue or chief ) reports a W/F, or an engine says there's smoke showing and they're lining in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our FAST Truck (3rd Due Ladder) isn't sent until a confirmed fire or emergency signal is transmitted (10-75).

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

A third engine (fourth on hi-rise) has been added here for RIG (RIT/FAST). All engines have RIG equipment and all members are trained in RIG operations. They are dispatched as part of the first alarm.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

It is dispatched on the initial structure alarm. If you wait until somebody gets into trouble it is too late.
    Call early and often, you can always send them home if they are not needed.

Forum Member

Our RIT is automatic. Our Rescue responds to all structure fires and works as RIT. plus extra man power is always nice when doing overhaul. (3 man so to be 4 man rescue)

Forum Member

Typically for here, RIT is provided by M/A companies. When an agency decides they want RIT, they usually do not have the manpower to staff it, so when asking for neighboring agencies the IC picks one with a certified RIT team and designates it as RIT only. The key is early M/A, of course, but what else is new?

A nice angle on this is that the RIT team and RIT Commander are not as emotionally invested in the attack crews - different department so they don't know each other quite so well - and this allows for easier professional detachment if the stuff hits the fan.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

Our RIT is part of a second box assignment, unless otherwise requested.

MembersZone Subscriber

There is one company in my area that has a RIT auto. dispatched on anything such as a reported dwelling/building fire or and outbuilding type structure. It is a good thought but it also tends to decrease the response of the RIT company, because they are moving on soo much unneccessary BS, that the members are not coming to get recalled. My company as well as the majority of our area's have a an additional Special Service dispatched once the working fire has been confirmed. Not the best because by the time they get there and set up the fire is almost undercontrol. I like the idea of having the 3rd due engine company take the assignment. Then you can just add another engine to the assignment once you have fire confirmed. But the situation dictates as with anything else in the fire service there is no exact science.

MembersZone Subscriber

On all reported fires from an electrical short, pot on the stove to a commercial or Hi Rise we dispatch a RIT team. Our RIT team, is a heavy rescue with 5 men assigned. In the event they are working (and it happens ) a third truck company is dispatched and they are assigned RIT.

Our heavy rescue takes an offensive position on RIT in the fact that they will ensure secondary means of egress if not already accomplished by the truck companies. They carry a variety of saws and tools along with a rit bag that carries a spare cylinder and a mask and regulator with no harness. All members carry this and are deployed with 2 2 man teams on opposite ends of the building. The officer can face to face with command and 360s the building and deplys with either team.

Also part of our SOP's detail a minimum of a second RIT team usually a third in the event that RIT is deployed or activated. They do not engage in active firefighting except for obtaining egress in a proactive posture.

Dave Williams
    City of Orlando Fire Department

OSD122

The fourth due engine on the first alarm is the RIT company. This is per the Northern Virginia Standard Operating Procedures (NOVA SOP).

Forum Member

The closest of our 4 Rescue Engine Companies (Squads) responds as the RIT company on all reported structure fires. If they are one of the first three engines due to the box the next closest squad is added to the run. Each additional alarm adds another squad as RIT.

If there are no squads available then the fourth due engine company is added as the RIT company.

Forum Member

I work for a comb dept. and I'm on the only 24 career crew on the main land. We have 2 add. 24 crews but they protect beaches. We rarely ever call for a RIT team due to the fact that they will most likely be volunteers. NOT SAYING THAT VOLUNTEERS CANT DO RIT, BUT ITS NO GOOD IF THEY HAVE TO COME FROM THE HOUSE,THEN TO THE STATION, THEN TO THE SCENE, WHEN A F/F GOES DOWN AT A WORKING FIRE. If its outside our first due area the Batt. Chief I work for will call for us but often we arrive first of second due, and then are assignes other duties.

Forum Member

My full time dept. has one automatic on a working fire, or on report if the OIC requests them.

My call dept. has them come in on a 3rd alarm....tell me what kind of sense that makes!

Forum Member

My Department has an automatic dispatch sent up upon conformation of a working structurew fire by the first officer on scene.

Forum Member

Any working fire generates a call for a mutual aid FAST - Commack, NY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ecfr1978
    We rarely ever call for a RIT team due to the fact that they will most likely be volunteers. NOT SAYING THAT VOLUNTEERS CANT DO RIT, BUT ITS NO GOOD IF THEY HAVE TO COME FROM THE HOUSE,THEN TO THE STATION, THEN TO THE SCENE, WHEN A F/F GOES DOWN AT A WORKING FIRE. .

Wait a second ... You don't call the volunteer RIT based on the extra couple of minutes it takes for them to respond, therefore you don't call a RIT at all? Just so I am clear, ... on a call where a RIT would be appropriate, you don't call one at all because it will take a few minutes longer due to the fact that they are volunteers. Did a fire chief approve this? And your personnel accept it? I cannot even imagine a demographic or geographic area where this would be acceptable. I do remember a decade or so ago when fast/rit/fat/ric/rig was unheard of, and having a dedicated rescue crew standing by to save our own was not even close to a consideration. But that was then, this is NOW. It is far to mainstream and acceptable, no wait .. "recommended" that RIT be on scene as soon as possible. Cognizantly disregarding a RIT for any reason when one would be appropriate is begging for a lawsuit if any one of your personnel are delayed rescue as a result. Because they might be slower to respond, as volunteers, makes no sense. Obviously, if there were a "career" that were closer (quicker) you would call them right? Well there must not be, so isn't calling those "slower" volleys a consideration? I just don't get it.

J. Fred Ayars
    Salem City Fire Chief
    A "Volunteer" Department with response times quicker than most Career Departments. (And no, we don't live or sleep at the stations).

Forum Member

The saying "better late than never definitely comes to mind" :-)

Thread Information